I think we're jinxed

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Graffogefarms, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Graffogefarms

Graffogefarms New Member

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    Well, W've been having birhts, but have as many losses as well. I don't know what is going on, its like we are getting hit with everything right at the start up to prepare us for later on! Or is a lot of it a residue of the toxoplasmosis. I have never ever seen before a huge day old kid scour water. She was fine with the mother, the place is not over crowded, clean bedded, etc. had goats lay on kids, walk on them - when there is plenty of room. Goats rejected their kids and refusing to feed them. I lost Coco, I should have called the vet to do the c-section,. Maria who I was worried about kidded last night, we lost her,and the huge buckling she had - almost as big as his mom - is losing his battle. One of Tia's had a scour, I've done everything -and she is still alive, she might pull t hrough - Hopefully. She has an appetite still. All the goats have the bucket mineral licks now but Why do they walk on each other? I think they are going to get fed now, all back into their laundry baskets for the night so there is no more walking on each other andbothering the othres (the kids.) Flo's two orphans are still with us, getting cheeky. Nibbling on Tia's baby girls ear. I was standing over Maria last night protecting her. We only have one stall unfortunately, and the babies were in that. But again - plenty of room in the shed. I have the kids in the house again. They've been running around the house all day. i think tomorrow they are going back out to the shed into the dog training crate. They came in for some of the bottle feedings and never went back out !

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    boy Bridget I wish I had answers for you. :(

3. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I know how it must seem- out of control and how can it be stopped- very disheartening.
    This morning Tim had two doelings- last year she was very careful of them but this morning I heard tiny baby yells three or four times and went in their cover to pull one baby or another out from where Tim laid on them- luckily only their legs. I saw what was going on- the babies were doing the looking for the food source thing and Tim would just lay on them while they were under her. Now I think she has recovered physically more she is being much more careful. They have all the room in the world but the babies want to cuddle with Mom and need her to watch for them.
    I hope with you that Tia's kid pulls through.
    Hopefully you have had your share of the bad and now is the time for the fun of baby watching.

4. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Wow I am so sorry to hear about this! Prayers coming your way..

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I am so sorry for all your losses! :hug:
    Praying it gets better for you! :pray:

6. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I had a rough first year also...lost a doe that was in labor, had a prolapse and pregnancy toxemia. Her kids were breach...we did a field c-section after she passed. So I lost her and her 2 beautiful kids. Then I lost a doeling to ecoli...she was 6 days old. Her sister is still with us. I think your bad luck is about to end and the good will start. Hang in there. I was about to give up and my hubby said that I needed to go another year to see if it got better and if not, I could sell out. It has been well over a year now and my bad luck has demenished to very little...cant say it's gone because I still have 2 does left to kid.

Sending prayers your way!

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Oh I'm so sorry to hear about all of this!! :( Its darkest before dawn so may you'll have some light ahead of you.

Idk about your kids getting stepped on(we've had that happen for the first time this year) but with your does having trouble and kids to, there might be a possibility of mineral deficiency. Do you know whats in your mineral licks?

8. Graffogefarms

Graffogefarms New Member

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    I got a new mineral lick. I think it could be a possible domino effect from the toxoplasmosis. There were probably mineral deficiencies, but that should be ok now. Anyway, going to keep going.

9. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Can yu tell me what toxoplasmosis is? I mean I understand it is a bacterial thing?? What are the signs of them? How do you cure it? I am sorry you are having such a horrible time, we have lots several babies this season as well. DOnt know why, we had twin girls born, one was malformed... missing a back leg, funny shaped mouth, couldent stand, she died the next day, her sister, who was absolutly gorgeous, a beautiful silver color, she looked wonderful, nothing wrong with her, but she dided right next to her sister the same time, so I am thinking something internally :( :sigh: , then we had another set of twin doelings born, one girl I sold and then the second one was doing great, growing, very very sweet, she got kicked out from underneath the heat lamp and got to cold and died.... Gosh this season is hard, alot of them I feel are my fault and makes me sick. I am just praying that everyhting goes alot better for all of us!