The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently 7 month old doeling can get pregnant. I've had my buck run with the does for years without separation and it's never happened. She is small and I just figured her body would not except a pregnancy. This morning she has a fluid sack and it is unmistakable, but I think is a miscarriage not a normal birth.

I don't have much experience with this deal. How long does it take to pass it. Do you every have to assist in passing a dead kid? How can I help her recover with as little man handling as possible, she's skittish?
Poor girl.

I will take this a hard lessen, and try to separate this year!

· Premium Member
8,383 Posts
I’m sorry your doeling is going through this. You’ll have to treat her as you would a doe whose delivered. Watch for worm bloom, watch her udder to make sure she doesn’t get overly full or get mastitis. Give supportive care as needed. If there’s a bubble watch for small fetus and placenta and make sure it’s complete.
Best of luck

· Registered
"Did you know cats can fly?"- asked the little girl. Mom- "No?" Girl-**Throws off cliff**
6,542 Posts
If it's a miscarriage, I've had them take 24 hours to pass everything. And even then they'll still have the normal reddish discharge afterwards as if they kidded normally.

Yes, it's not a myth. I bought a doe who had been bred at 1 month old. She had her single buckling at 6 months of age. I got her when she was a year old, and I could tell it definitely had affected her growth, and her hips were off. Kinda uneven and really wide as if they never fully came back together

· Super Moderator
16,603 Posts
Any way to get a picture?
If it’s the after it does seem to take awhile for the placenta and everything to come out after a miscarriage. I’m not sure why that is. If she is 2 1/2 months it will probably be a very small fetus. As goofygoat suggested I would wash up and make sure there isn’t a baby stuck there. She will probably not be dilated enough to put your whole hand in but a few fingers just to make sure it’s not right there. And when in doubt a vet is always a good idea!

· Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
She seemed to have progressed a little during the afternoon. She was laying down tonight and I wasn't able to get a good look. I don't want to assist if it isn't necessary, and since she didn't seem in distress today I just wanted to give her sometime.
I'll see how she is doing in the morning.
Do make sure he is separated.... NOW. He can and most probably will try to breed her back right away.
I put his apron on! Thank you for the warning!

· Registered
4,277 Posts
I hope she’s ok and that you are able to see what’s passed. Just so you know everything’s out… I would at least try and check her temp the next cpl days to catch any issue if somethings retained.
And possibly sniff tests and visuals of the discharge and whatever she finally passes to check for a decayed fetus and/or infection.

· Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think she passed it!!! There is nothing hanging out of her this morning like their was yesterday. Her parts look puffy, which I would assume is normal for something like that!
She was eager to eat some hay this morning!
She kept letting out wails periodically, which had a disconcerting effect on me, and had me thinking stuck kid. I stuck my finger in just a little and didn't feel anything. Then I remembered her udder. I milked her out, and she stopped crying! Phew!
Thanks all. I'll continue to keep an eye on her.
To say the least an interesting start to kidding season!

· Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update that I did not expect. She started crying again in the afternoon and her udder wasn't painful. When I was working in around their house I found her kid. The little buckling was dead!😢 She delivered sometime today and it must have been stillborn, or too small to survive long. I'm guessing maybe three months developed, it had a full coat of hair but he was quite small. The hard thing is that she keeps crying for her baby.
I dewormed her and will keep an eye on her during recovery.
It's a sad thing, but every difficult time just makes me a better farmer girl.

· Registered
4,458 Posts
Dangit… I was kind of wondering if she was in a small enough area where you could have seen if anything had been delivered. I know you’d said nothing hanging out and thought things had passed, but didn’t mention seeing anything anywhere.
I’m sorry she’s missing her baby 😢

1 - 20 of 23 Posts