I thought the Goat was dead!!! Bloat Cure

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by GoatGirl, Apr 11, 2009.

1. GoatGirl

GoatGirl Guest

Mar 23, 2009
    :worried: I thought my Rita (Boer) was dead! She was bloated really bad (stil don't know what from) and I thought she would be dead in less than an hour. I think her stomach was "sour" She was "down" and was breathing really sparatically and thrashing her head. Then, she just layed over. I got out my handi-dandi verterinary guide for goats and learned it was from acid. . . As a last resort, in a moment of desperation, I went to the house and got a Zantec (anacid), mashed it up in the bottom of a shot glass, mixed it with warm water, sucked it up with a syringe, and gave it to her. Woke up today, she was looking at me like "Why am I in the Tool shed? " I put her back on the pasture with the other goats, and she started butting heads with one of the others. :stars: ZANTEC!!!! I didn't think it would work.

2. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Good to know! Thanks for sharing......we always have zantac at our house!

3. GoatGirl

GoatGirl Guest

Mar 23, 2009
    After working with her all day yesterday, working last night at my job, and worrying about her all night. . . I need some coffee. . . just thought I'd fill ya'll in first :coffee2:

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    baking soda works ..... did you try that at all?

Glad your doe is better thats wounderful news

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wonderful news.... :leap: ....thanks for sharing...that is good to know..... :wink:

6. GoatGirl

GoatGirl Guest

Mar 23, 2009

yes, I did try it, but she didn't act like that was helping for some reason. I usually have pretty good success with it, but she just wasn't having it for some reason

7. PotterWatch

PotterWatch New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    So. California
    I tried baking soda quite a bit with my doe that bloated a couple weeks ago and it didn't seem to help in the least. She stayed bloated all night long until the next morning when I was able to get some milk of magnesia and dose her with some. That worked like a charm!

8. GoatGirl

GoatGirl Guest

Mar 23, 2009
    Didn't think of milk of magnesia. . . :shrug: Oh well, she's better and frisky again. That's all that matters :thumbup: