The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two does that we have been doing shows with that are now a year old. I let them have a break for the last couple of months; one its too HOTT and secondly we weren't going to any shows. Problem is show are starting to come up so it time to get at it again. However, my does are giving me a hard ti time. Should you never let them have time off?

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
Probably you could do it less often but probably do need to do it every so often to keep them in practice.

·
Live. Love. Ride. Milk.
511 Posts
I really think it depends on the goat themselves. Some goats can go for YEARS and with little or no training be shown again and others if you give them a week off you have to pretty much start over again. You just need to learn what your goats need to keep in shape. I have 2 does(2 of my best btw) who if I take them to a show and then give them a break for 2-3 weeks until I start getting ready for the next show I must almost reteach how to walk. Usually they remember how to stack up, but sometimes not. On the other side of that I have a 6 year old doe who was last shown as a yearling, but I could still go into a showmanship class with very little training with her and she would stack up fine and stand with no problem. She hasn't been shown in 5 years nor has she been worked with so that goes to show you it depends on the goat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts