I told my wife!!!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by fivemoremiles, Nov 30, 2019.

1. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    My wife bred a ND doe Last summer. I told her No Kids are to be born between November and March15th. She said that the end of November isn't cold. I told her this is Montana not Texas. She bred her any way.

My wife said she didn't like the mineral i have been feeding my goats and sheep. so she got special mineral for her goats. I told her that there was not enough selenium in it but she didn't care. My mineral was not mixed for goats. she is right it isn't mixed for goats or sheep ether. it is mixed for cows. and even though the copper is high my sheep do fine on it.

Well this morning the temp was 14F with a wind of 10 mph that stopped about 10 am. by 1pm the temp had warmed up to a nice 15F. I was feeding the goats and i heard a kid cry.
    she had had three. one was still in the sack and has suffocated. and she had a doe and a buck that were up and nearly dry.
    I went in the house and told my wife that Cindy (the doe)had had her kids. but that was too easy. So told her that Cindy needed a bucked of warm molasses water. We always give molasses water to the new mothers My wife stopped working on the computer. thought for a bit and asked how many did she have. are they OK Its so cold out.
    I hesitated then informed her that one was born dead two were dry and had eaten BUT they were showing signs of selenium deficiency.

Tonight i am doing a happy dance.
    My wife just told me No More Winter kids
    It is so rare that i am right. And my wife admits it.
    That i have to do a happy dance when it happens.
    :coolmoves:(dance):coolmoves:(dance)

2. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    :goodjob::coolmoves::heehee: Don't you love it when you are right and it is acknowledged?
    Congrats on the 2 live babies and sad the one didn't make it.

Iluvlilly! likes this.

3. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    We are all human and sometimes we have to learn things the hard way :/ and sometimes even though we know we are right we have to let our other half figure it out on their own.
    I know I have been advised to do, not to do, things and it didn’t make sense to me at the time so I ignored it and later learned why it was a good idea. I think the key is to not hard headed about It and can admit we were wrong and learn for it

lhorning, sunnystatekidz and ReNat like this.
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    LOL, that was a good, I told ya so, pay back. ;)

Glad you were there for mama goat and her babies. And all is good.
    Sorry for the loss of one though.

Hopefully your wife will listen to you from now on. ;)

ReNat and goatblessings like this.
  5. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

I'm glad for the increased likemindedness. That will probably increase as you work together going forward, and share the same experiences.

Tough sacks are one of the signs of selenium deficiency. Not saying that sack was tough, but if it was, it is another sign she should know of.

Trollmor likes this.
  6. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I learned the hard way about selenium deficiency. My grain has added selenium. For some reason, suddenly last March/April the mill that makes my grain quit putting the additional selenium in.

(Due to new govt. regulations, animal feed has to be made like human food. All stainless steel bins, super clean processing areas, etc. local mills can't afford to upgrade. So they buy from a big feed mill that processes huge orders. ).

All my goats were due May/June. I discovered the lack of selenium by noticing the feed tag one day. Turns out, the computer (???) changed my formula. They tried to cover it up, said it was only on the tag, actual selenium was added. No it was not.

I had many selenium related problems. Super thick bags, wonky legs, etc. Lost a few kids. Giving Bo-Se helped, but couldn't make up for the severe deficiency the last few months of gestation.

toth boer goats and mariarose like this.
  7. Trollmor

Trollmor Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    So, good job you keep your good temper! :)

(No, @ReNat, this has nothing to do with male or female! And a pack as on your picture will most probably take turns doing the heavy job. One of my goats, being somewhere in the middle of the flock's ranking list, always went first in deep snow. She was an expert in finding the easiest way.)

8. ReNat

ReNat Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Rossia
    I agree with you. Ideally, everyone has their own talent and for easy living together, people need to give in to each other and help each other.

9. ReNat

ReNat Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Rossia
    It's like raising a small child, letting it fall into a shallow hole, but keeping it tight, in the vicinity of a dangerous deep hole.

Trollmor and Iluvlilly! like this.
  10. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

Except, a partner (of either gender) is an equal... A small child isn't. We can give our best reasons for a course of action... and that's the most we can do with a partner, whether they see the dangerous deep hole we see, or they don't.

11. Trollmor

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    I usually like your entries, but this was one of the very best!
    I usually like your entries, but this was one of the very best!

;)

12. ReNat

ReNat Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Rossia
    As we know from the wise book, "husband and wife will become one flesh." In the Russian spouse, sounds like a harnessed deuce.

As I understood your message, it sounds wise, you are ready to suffer inconveniences and even falls, for the sake of acquiring the experience of your loved one. I wonder if there are limits to this?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    Iluvlilly! and Trollmor like this.
  13. Trollmor

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    Iluvlilly! likes this.
  14. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I'm so sorry about the loss of the one kid. Hopefully the other 2 are fine and recovered from the selenium deficiency now.

We kid out in the winter time, it's always a gamble as to what the weather will be. It might be mild, but wet/rainy, or it might be cold and snowy. We breed for winter kids so they are weaned and ready to show in the summer months starting end of May or early June. It's harder to get spring kids ready for summer shows, and I don't like summer kids at all as they just don't seem to grow as well as fall/winter or early spring kids. Bugs are an issue as well.
    Typically, January is our best month for kidding. Just seem to have less problems overall.
    But we also have a small herd, and watch our does very closely when they are due. We stall them at night/out during the day starting about a week or so before they are due, and I watch them on camera. But we normally don't kid out more than 3 at a time with about 6 total.
    So coming up in January we have 6 due. 1 on Jan 21st and 5 on the 24th! Yes.... 5 on the same day! That was my husband's idea! I said no... breed 3 to kid in the same week, wait until next heat cycle and do 3 more.

We use heating barrels in our stalls in the winter. If it's really cold or they need a heat lamp, we mount it in the top of the barrel, and secure the barrel to the wall so babies can come in/out but mom's can't get in there to the heat lamp. The barrels work great without the lamp. Normally we don't turn the lamp on unless it's below 32.

Years ago we delivered a first time doe in wind chill of -39 degrees! They called it the Polar Vortex, record lows for us. It was insane. When the does water broke it froze to her back legs, I felt so bad for her! She was also scared and confused (she thought the towel I was holding near the heat lamp waiting for 1st baby was her baby lol!!). Her twins came with no issues. We had to work hard and fast to get them dry, warm and keep ears from freezing. Blow Dryer, we even put them in a tote box to use the blower dryer on them. Back then we didn't even have a heat lamp, last minute I put together a box from wood for them to sleep in that was safe. After that I looked into the heating barrels.

mariarose and toth boer goats like this.
  15. fivemoremiles

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    The last time i lambed in February we had a cold snap the high for 5 days was -10F. I remember one night i came in to the house cursing. I grabbed every towel we had in the house and i went out. It was 12AM I came in after 2AM. In that time i had 11 ewes lamb 22 lambs. I didn't loose a lamb lost some ears though.
    lambing in April i get to sleep at night and i lamb in the field not in the barn. The stress level is greatly reduced.

16. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I couldn't imagine lambing or kidding that many at once, I think I'd lose my marbles lol! I definitely can understand you wanting to do it when weather is better, especially with so many. I like having a smaller herd, I don't think I could handle a large herd, I get too emotionally attached as it is.

17. fivemoremiles

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    Just an update the BoCe work like a charm. the kids are riding on mamas back already. And even at this young age we can tell the little doe is going to be a keeper. her stance is amazing.

What was interesting about lambing during cold snap is i had no lambs born for 4 days. that night i had 11. what changed? the weather it went from -10F to 25F by 7 AM
    i had 12 more ewes lamb between 7AM and 10PM that day.
    with sheep i watch the barometric pressure. when it is moving i am lambing

18. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Glad they are doing well.

19. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    So happy the kids bounced back and are doing so well.
    I Would love pictures if your camera/phone won't freeze over please.
    Stay warm!