i want blue eyes!!!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by ohiogoatgirl, Jan 14, 2011.

1. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    alright, i was just reading that blue eyes is a dominant trait in nigirian dwarf goats. and i'm DYING for some blue eye goats!!! but i have saanens and want to get obers and nubians. so how could i get blue eyed babies in these breeds without having shorties? :?

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

The only thing I could think of is to breed for minis and use a blue eyed Nigerian. I've never seen blue eyes in the other breeds.

3. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

You can get like a mini Obie....Those are so pretty with the blue eyes!!

OR you can just get a nigi :)

4. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    if i bred my full size breed does to blue eye nigerian bucks then the kids would be smaller and have blue eyes? if so and i bred a blue eyed 1/2 nigerian doe to a full size buck would her babies have blue eyes?
    i'm trying to figure it out with what i can remember about "penne square" (spelling?) from school. :scratch:
    and i want them for milking does... would this crossbreeding lower milk production?

5. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    TinyHoovesRanch: mini obers with blue eyes do sound so adorable!

6. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

There are some lines of Kikos that have the blue eye trait.......

7. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Ive seen mini obies with blue eyes....AND MAN DO THEY LOOK STYLISH!!

I would try that, maybe take 2 girls and get a really nice blue eyed nigi buck and breed them, wouldnt hurt, if you dont get blue eyes you can sell them and maybe try again.

I love the obie color, blue eyes mixed with that, is SOOOOO AWESOME

8. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Blue eyes (regardless of breed) is dominant in goats however, if you are breeding a blue eyed goat to a brown eyed goat you are not guaranteed blue eyed kids... unless your blue eyed goat is homozygous Blue (BB) meaning they can only produce blue eyed kids. Otherwise you are dealing with a Bb to a bb breeding and you will either get Bb kids or bb kids.... meaning heterozygous blue (Bb) or brown (bb)

Hope that helps,

9. Springbett Farm

Springbett Farm Senior Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Nebraska
    I have a standard sized myotonic doe with blue eyes...so I'm guessing what you want is attainable. I like blue eyes, too. :thumb:

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you will not find blue eyes in a standard size dairy goat -- its a disqualifying trait in all other dairy breeds but nigerian dwarfs

If you mix a nigerian with a standard the you can get mini nubinans or mini oberhaslis (as mentioned) and if the sire (nigerian) has blue eyes the chances for the kids to have blue eyes is there but not guaranteed. THere is a registry for these goats is the MDGA and they can have blue eyes and still be registered but not sure at what generation if any they have to be brown eyed to obtain purebred status

11. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    I have 2 blue eyed ND's that I am using this year...not because they are blue eyed, but because they have the genetics behind them for great milk production (they just happen to have blue eyes). Therefore - all of my babies have a chance of having blue eyes this year. If you are interested in something...I'm right next door in WV. Feel free to go on my website and check stuff out. Extended pedigrees available...just ask. :)

12. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I know! I wish I could have blue eyed alpines, but sadly yes, that would be a disqualification.

13. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

May 18, 2010
    Fairplay, MD
    I wouldn't breed your 1/2 nigie does to a full size buck. If they had higher percentage of full size you could probably get away with it. Better to breed your full size does to a 1/2 nigerian buck. You may end up with kidding problems other way around. There is no set in stone answer as far as if they will all have blue eyes. It is genetics, kids will have a chance of blue eyes but just because one parent has them doesn't mean all kids generations down will. I have had many blue eyed goats and I have yet to have one that had ALL blue eyed kids every time (although it is supposed to be possible if they homozygous for blue eyes, right?) Even breeding both parents who have blue eyes I usually end up with a brown eyed kid in there!

14. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

15. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    thanks for all the helpful information!
    i gave up on my squares... forgot too much of it.
    i don't register or show or any of that.

16. mjhetz

mjhetz Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Ithaca, NY
  17. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    very nice! i'm so jealous of all of everyone's blue eye's!
    i'm gonna go to the sale barn and do a high priority blue eyed goat search!
    mUsT hAvE bLuE eYeS!!!

18. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I live in southern, Ohio and will most likely have blue eyed babies for sale in march when everyone starts kidding.

19. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Question. If you use a half nigerian dwarf/standard dairy goat cross bred to a full size dair goat, what happens? What if the 1/2 nigerian is an F1, full size goat?

20. naturalgoats

naturalgoats New Member

Jan 2, 2011
    Ohiogoatgirl.. here you go
    http://www.changbioscience.com/genetics/punnett.html
    I just learned this recently...
    so you cross true breeding blue eyed (BB) X (bb) truebreeding other eyed large
    all the off spring are Blue eyed small (Bb)
    to get these goats bigger you breed them with a large non blue eyed: Bb X bb
    half the kids will be blue eyed other half will brown eyed
    you could continue to do this until you have some Bb of the size you want then you could cross them and possibly get a large goat with blue eyes and a BB phenotype which could be bred from their...
    actually now I think about it it might be a lot more complex... because size isn't just a big or small thing it can be in between..... but anyway you get the basic idea.... :) hope it helps... if you do anything of the like do tell. It would be very interesting to here about.

Miranda