The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would any of you be willing to share pictures of the feeders you use for minerals and hay? Right now we are giving minerals in a container on the ground that is scrubbed out as needed, but I hate that poo gets in there. I don't want it to be a breeding ground for parasites.

I also could use some hay feeder inspiration. A hay feeder in which I can slide hay in the pen from over the fence would be great, but I'd love to see any hay feeders. :)

·
Registered
572 Posts
For mineral we use homemade ones like these:

http://swampyacresfarm.com/MineralFeeder.html

We also use the two compartment red ones you can get from Caprine Supply I believe.

For hay feeders, for small squares at least we use these:

image-2757295508.jpg

And for big rounds we do this:

image-3576931813.jpg

It's collapsible so as they munch the bale down the panels slide closer and closer so they can still reach the hay.

Attachments

·
11,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Love the feeder, Karen! That looks like something my dad may be able to make. I'm going to try that PCV pipe idea for the minerals, that looks awesome.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
For my hay feeder I bought this from the feed store:

image-181367184.jpg

And I have the black mineral feeders from TSC. They are cheap and I use zip ties and snaps to make them portable :)

Attachments

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
And I use milk crates in my kidding stalls, and in my jr doe pen. Inside the shed doesn't have one yet, but me and my dad are working on that with some spare fence and wood we have :)

·
Colorful Quality Boers
6,648 Posts
This is our new hay feeder we just put in the new barn. :) We can put grain in as it falls right through the panels, and they hay in later or in a different spot!

The first two pics are before we put the diagonal panel in to keep the hay.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I love this, Danielle! (Is it okay I call you Danielle? :p) I have been wanting to start one of these! :) I love seeing other people's set ups! :)

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
This is our new hay feeder we just put in the new barn. :) We can put grain in as it falls right through the panels, and they hay in later or in a different spot! The first two pics are before we put the diagonal panel in to keep the hay.
Oh I love that!!
So.. My dad doesn't want to do the hay feeder with the fence :p he thinks it's too big for in the shed...
But, I want to get crib rails and use them on the wall :) let me find a pic...

·
14,615 Posts
I see you use the best bedding Victoria!
How do you not get mobbed? Or are your girls well behaved?

Our creep. Mounted a pair with zip ties. $17 from local feed store.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Oh I love this thread !!! I need ideas for hay feeders and for the minerals too. Im about to hook up the red mineral feeder from Caprine Supply. I'll post how that works out soon. I cant stand the waste of the minerals after they step it and it and poop in it ! I just don't think there is anything that is "goat proof" in this world , lolol. But I'm keeping a open mind :)

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Im just afraid of my guys getting hung up and in things. They are just monsters sometimes , lol.

That big blue hay feeder is awesome , but I could just see my Lil Bill sitting on top of it pooping on the rest of the girls trying to eat , lolol.

·
11,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh gosh, Bill would do that, wouldn't he? He'd make a cheery little nest that would conveniently double as a litter box. :laugh:

·
Colorful Quality Boers
6,648 Posts
I see you use the best bedding Victoria!
How do you not get mobbed? Or are your girls well behaved?

Our creep. Mounted a pair with zip ties. $17 from local feed store.
Yea, it's nice. :) I can feed them from the other side of the fence so I don't get knocked over. :) Although they are perfectly well behaved and wouldn't mob me anyway... (joking!!)

·
Look for me in the barn...
1,074 Posts
For minerals, we use the homemade PVC feeder that fiberchick linked to. I didn't like that the minerals fell below the opening, (below where the 45 branches off) so I put a plastic deli container upside down in that part so now it can't get filled with minerals, but I read somewhere that someone filled that part with DE which helped draw the moisture out of the minerals, too.

For hay, we use one of the V shaped things that's been pictured already, but we got ours at an auction and they didn't come with a base, so Dad make a wooden platform/box for it, and put legs on it so it's elevated. You can sort of see it under the lean-to in the picture. Lyra likes to climb up and lay inside the box part - Mom calls it her crib, lol. Silly girl has always liked to take naps in or on top of the hay feeder - we also have a small over-the-fence feeder and she used to jump up there to nap.

Attachments

·
Ashley
57 Posts
This is my hay feeder. I only have six goats right now so I didn't need anything huge and lavish. I like it because in a few months, the kids will still be able to eat with the others and not get trampled on by going underneath it. I've noticed that there's no more bullying, all just being happy goats.

Attachments

·
Goat Momma
346 Posts
We have used milk jugs as mineral feeders.
Wall hay feeders in each stall.
One outside feeder that holds one square bale.
And an inside feeder in the open area of our barn, it holds 1 square bale also.
In the process of making more.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 59 Posts