The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So of my 5 goats, two of them are moms and have one baby each. I'm trying to sell the one that doesn't have a baby, she's a big bully and is mean to my other goats. BUT, she won Grand Champion at the fair this year and last year, she got Reserve. Someone I used to by in 4-H with (before I switched clubs), replied to my Craigslist add asking to trade with one of their goats. First of all, I didn't in any way say I was interested in trading for anything. And second, I don't like the people, or the way the take care of their animals. They take terrible care of their chickens, we've rescued 10 from "Prison" and they came with mites, terrible feet, beat up and scraggly. How will the goats look? The boy I was in 4-H with has told me many times that they aren't tame at all, and then blamed it on the breeder. They bought the goats when they were three months old and they are now three years (I think). OK, so maybe the breeder DIDN'T cuddle and coddle and baby these two cuties, but that was only for a few months! Then they went to a home where I believe they didn't get the care they deserve. I am not going to sell her (the goat, Willow) to them no matter what. Of course, I don't know how they care for the animals, these are just my views on what I think goes on there. But if she emails me back wanting to buy Willow, how do I tell her what I just posted on here?

Thanks, and sorry for venting!

· Administrator
96,111 Posts
You are in control here. You have the right to refuse service to anyone, it is your goat, until sold.
If you do not want to sell or trade, say sorry, but I have enough goats and do not want to trade, tell her, you have someone else possibly interested.
But if you rather, just ignore the emails.

· Registered
1,694 Posts
I would just say I have another party interested. That way I'm not making any kind of accusation or starting anything but they'll go on their merry way. They never have to know what the real story is. My animals, my decision.

· 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
10,703 Posts
I would tell her the truth, in love, and maybe watered down. Something as simple as saying "Thank you for your reply. At this time I am not interested in a trade." And if she replies back still wanting your doe, say, "Thank you for your interest, but I think she may not be a fit for your situation at this time. Again, thank you." You can't stop people from being offended, but as I told my mom "I love making friends, but if I have to make enemies to protect my goats from going to a bad situation, I will."

· Super Moderator
16,973 Posts
I guess I'm just more sick of people then you guys. I would say where in the add does it say willing to trade??? If I wanted to trade I would have put it in the add. If I didn't want to be mean at the time I would simply ignore them. But I'm very known for letting people I dislike know I don't like them.

· I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
4,914 Posts
I think you should just not reply. There's nothing wrong with ignoring unless doing so is downright rude - and in this case I don't think it will be. But even being rude is better than lying.

I'm sure you know this, but just to back you up:
If push comes to shove, remember that who you sell YOUR goats to is YOUR decision, period. You don't have to give a reason. You don't even have to have a reason! Don't be afraid to just say no.

· Registered
158 Posts
So of my 5 goats, two of them are moms and have one baby each. I'm trying to sell the one that doesn't have a baby, she's a big bully and is mean to my other goats. BUT, she won Grand Champion at the fair this year and last year, she got Reserve. Someone I used to by in 4-H with (before I switched clubs), replied to my Craigslist add asking to trade with one of their goats. First of all, I didn't in any way say I was interested in trading for anything. And second, I don't like the people, or the way the take care of their animals. They take terrible care of their chickens, we've rescued 10 from "Prison" and they came with mites, terrible feet, beat up and scraggly. How will the goats look? The boy I was in 4-H with has told me many times that they aren't tame at all, and then blamed it on the breeder. They bought the goats when they were three months old and they are now three years (I think). OK, so maybe the breeder DIDN'T cuddle and coddle and baby these two cuties, but that was only for a few months! Then they went to a home where I believe they didn't get the care they deserve. I am not going to sell her (the goat, Willow) to them no matter what. Of course, I don't know how they care for the animals, these are just my views on what I think goes on there. But if she emails me back wanting to buy Willow, how do I tell her what I just posted on here?

Thanks, and sorry for venting!
Be honest, some times it is difficult but you will feel better about it and about where you goat goes in the end that is what matters...Smile

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.