The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so today, I went to Houston to a boat show and there was a guy there selling sugar gliders. I did some quick research in them and bought 2. Each were over 500$ Each. Then, when he was printing out the receipt, I was thinking and I said " you know what, never mind." Oh man, was he mad! I have some good reasons I didn't get them, though.
1) as you know SUPER EXPENSIVE!i have a lot of money that go into just raising goats, so I have no idea what I was thinking
2) I have cats in the house who would harass them
3)I have dogs (especially one, who has killed 2 hamsters who got out, and a gerbil)
4) They HAVE to be with you all the time. If they aren't, they get SUPER stressed, and I can't bring them to a lot of places I go
5) Pretty high maintenance, and I barely have enough time in the day ( barely had time to get to this boat show!)
6) I have NO idea how to take care of them, And it would be very irresponsible to just jump into raising them
7) I have a lot more of reasons, but these are the ones that went through my head just while I was getting the receipt!

I felt bad for the guy, though, because it was kind of rude of me to say I didn't want them.
In the end, I'm really glad I didn't get them though. I don't think they would have been too happy at my house.
I just wanted to share this with y'all because I think I learned a lesson today, and I hope y'all learn a little one from this story.
Does any body have sugar gliders? How are they? I'm not gonna get one but I'm just curious.

·
Super Moderator
14,573 Posts
My two life goals in life is to own a sugar glider and a hedge hog (sadly both are illegal in my state :/) now I have been looking in the next state over lol not gonna happen but kinda like goats on CL, I’m not buying but I like to look. They are not even close to being that much money in Nevada!! That is crazy!
But you did the right thing if it won’t be a good fit. The first time I saw them it was love at first sight but if I couldn’t keep them happy I wouldn’t get them either.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But you did the right thing if it won't be a good fit. The first time I saw them it was love at first sight but if I couldn't keep them happy I wouldn't get them either.
Yeah, that is why i didn't get them, maybe in a long time from now though.

It was pretty funny, though when he was clipping their feet for someone else, they were hissing at him, and one jumped out of his hands and "flew" to the other booth, and he caught it in mid-air!

They were NOT tame, either, they were jumping all over the place lol! SUPER cute though!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Oh my god I didn't know sugar gliders could hiss, it sounds adorable! Was it adorable??? That's a silly question, it's a sugar glider, of course it was adorable!

Sounds like a good call not getting them though. Good for you for realizing that you were making an impulsive decision and having the guts to cancel the transaction even though it was almost complete.

·
8,371 Posts
A friend had a teenage daughter that had one. They are very demanding as far as work goes. Unlike a guinea pig or hamster, those little sugar gliders need constant handling. Like you, I barely have time for me, much less a little critter like that. Good call on your part.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh my god I didn't know sugar gliders could hiss, it sounds adorable! Was it adorable??? That's a silly question, it's a sugar glider, of course it was adorable!
lol! yeah, it was pretty cute, and it bit him and it must have hurt, because it was pretty bloody!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.