Ibga - closed! Now what?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by HoosierShadow, Jan 7, 2013.

1. chelsboers

chelsboers Senior Member

Mar 24, 2010
    SE Kansas
    It can take a long time to get your papers back from ABGA. I don't know when your fair is but you'll want to send them in at least six weeks before. I waited two months for mine one time. Luckily I wasn't in a hurry.

2. goatgirlzCA

goatgirlzCA Member

Mar 9, 2011
    Clovis, California
    I am in the same boat - I have a fullblood and two percentage does that my daughter shows that were all IBGA. Luckily, I believe that both bucks used were dual registered, but what a pain.

I also have a friend who always waits until the last minute to register does for fair, and she just pays the extra rush fee, so that's an option if anyone is running tight on time.

3. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks. We could register our young percentages ABGA, BUT they'd only recognize them as 50%, because their dam is IBGA 50%. I want them to be registered what they really are --- 75%.

Monday I am going to call and talk to the lady in the state ag dept. the 4-H leader said she'll be able to give me more information to my questions reguarding how the fairs/state fair may handle things with IBGA papered goats depending on what ABGA does.

4. caprine crazy

caprine crazy Boer Lover 4 Life!

Jun 12, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    What?!?! That is outrageous! I would be so P.Oed if I were you! It shouldn't matter what registry they are registered with. It shouldn't even matter if they are registered at all. Out here, they don't have to be registered. But, it's 10X easier if they are. When you talk to the state ag. dept. ask them if you can register with USBGA and if you can't ask why not. ABGA is SO expensive. For an adult membership it's $60, which includes the magizine and some special online feature. I think that's a little much considering you still have to pay for registrations and transfers and whatnot. But, that's just me.

5. DDFN

DDFN Active Member

Jul 31, 2011
    East TN
    Well all I can say is that USBGA will now have a new member!!! I was very impressed with how well they responded to my email. They won me over and I have already filled out my paper work for them. Now just trying to figure out how to submit it since they said in the email that they will except things in emails and prefer it over snail mail. . . Hummm Maybe I should do my membership application online and then email them all my registration stuff?

Oh and I talked to the breeder again and we may be getting more boers this year. . . long story that does not fit into this thread.

I would recommend USBGA to anyone wanting to change.

Thank you USBGA for being wonderful!!!

6. Jigglypuff598

Jigglypuff598 New Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Oklahoma
    I have dealt with ABGA for 3 years now and always fax my paperwork and have always received the registration within a couple of weeks, sometimes only a week.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I have had good results, with ABGA,friendly service when I call in.
    They have my registrations back to me quickly. If you want to pay more they are done even quicker.

If you are into showing, I recommend ABGA, because they are more spread out for that.

Be aware that they will be overwhelmed for a while, however, they at least are allowing IBGA goats to be registered with them. I just hope they can recoup, before I have to register my new babies, that I am keeping out of the next kid crop. ;)

To each his or her own, with what association to go with. It all depends on their lifestyle and showing needs.

8. DDFN

DDFN Active Member

Jul 31, 2011
    East TN
    Did anyone else get this email from ABGA that still doesn't answer anything after a week of waiting? If they get their act together I may double register with them but USBGA was so nice and fast to respond to my questions in such a detailed format, even on a very personal level that they won me over.

This is what I got and it feels like just a mass email:
    "Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry of the recent changes. At this time, ABGA does not have any specific answers to your questions. The ABGA Board of Directors are currently working on a plan of action to make it an “as easy as possible” transition for all members affected. Please visit our website at www.abga.org or like us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/#!/AmericanBoerGoatAssociation?fref=ts for further information and updates. Thank you for your patience in this matter.

Belinda Constancio
    ABGA Registration Support Staff

(Office) 325-486-2242
    (Fax) 325-486-2637"

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    ABGA is still trying to hash out, as to what to do. It is a big thing thrown at them and a lot of detail work and thought, needs to be gone over for different cases.

As I mentioned, things will be really jammed for a while. ;)

10. Mimigwen

Mimigwen New Member

Jan 4, 2012
    I really hope they get a plan soon. I have a lovely doe who was IBGA registered, and I can verify online that everone in her pedigree was (or should have been) 100% ABGA registered. There are 2 does that were IGBA and not dual, everyone else was dual registered. I would LOVE to finaly be able to get ABGA papers for her.

When I bought her they had closed the registry and wouldn't allow me to transfer her registration, so I'm excited now to have the chance. It would move her daughter from a 50% to a 100%.

Mary

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  12. tracyqh

tracyqh New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ohio
    I called the ABGA and they said they didn't know if they would be able to accept my IBGA registrations or not. Here is the letter I emailed to Mr. Wood of the IBGA and CC'd all of the ABGA officers :eek::

Mr. Wood -

I received the letter regarding the disbandment of the IBGA. I'm sorry to hear this, as I have always had terrific customer service with them.

It sent me into a bit of a panic though. I used my buck, JCRF Rozi #I-09-216-112 to breed ALL of my does this year and he is soley registered with the IBGA. With them now defunct, his offspring are not eligible for registration. I called the ABGA association to start the transfer to them, but they informed me that they don't know if they will be able to. According to your letter:
    "Those members wishing to become members of the ABGA every effort will be made to transfer their goats to the ABGA. Currently, a Registration / Transfer process plan is being drafted within the ABGA."

I am a current member of the ABGA and have does registered with them. I sincerely hope I can transfer my buck over to them. As you know, registered stock is worth more than grade.

If you know of any progress of the merge, please advise me.

Respectfully,
    Tracy Foy
    IBGA#20600
    ABGA#

13. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I really hope you can get your goats registered with ABGA. I think they will lose a LOT of members if they keep telling people no, or they don't know if it will happen. I know the only reason right now I am stalling about joining USBGA is because our 4-H leader said another ag agent told her our state would now only accept ABGA papers. If USBGA will be accepted then we're right on that bandwagon!

14. tracyqh

tracyqh New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ohio
  15. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I talked with a breeder friend today who has friends that are big into the business/been in it for many, many years.
    They said that ABGA will get it figured out.

But a problem that my friend brought up that had dawned on me then escaped my mind...

The IBGA database is really far behind. I noticed this, because I can NEVER find our buck, or does on there! The only ones I can find are 2 does that we had registered in early 2011, can't find the other 2 that were registered that year.
    Our buck was born in April 2011, and can't find him at all. Our 2011 twin does that we registered have never shown up on there either.

My friend thinks this will be a HUGE problem for ABGA to face, since there must be thousands of IBGA goats not in the database.

So I wonder how they'd go about handling that.

I'm going to call the State Ag dept. lady that I was given contact info to find out if IBGA papers on the yearlings would be accepted at the state & county fairs. I want to find out why they wouldn't accept USBGA papers.

16. tracyqh

tracyqh New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ohio
    Maybe they will have to accept them now. Usbga emailed me back and are thrilled to take on the ibga registrations. I may go ahead and transfer to usbga for now, then dual register later with the abga. Good or bad idea?

17. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    That is what I've considered doing, but make sure you get your IBGA papers back so you can use them for ABGA later.

I'm so confused on what would be my best options, with the time issue <I'd need papers back in the next 3 months!>, oh.....the drama lol I get so tired thinking about it. I should start my own registry called 'Registry for 4-H kids who want to show doe percentages & fullbloods' lol

18. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I thought I'd update that when I called ABGA to ask a couple of questions the other day, they said they'd be having another meeting in early Feb to determine how they will handle things with IBGA.

Someone posted on facebook ABGA that they are having a meeting on Thurs to vote on how to handle everything.
    I am guessing by Thurs they mean tomorrow.
    Once they decide they are supposed to be posting the info on their website, facebook site, and many of the goat groups, etc.

19. Thanks for the update Hoosier. I still can't believe your state 4h kids can't show USBGA that makes absolutely no sense to me. Have you gotten information as to why or what their standing on this is? Of all shows, 4h should not be registry political, that's not what the kids are there for!

20. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Your Welcome!
    I called the State Ag. office late last week, and they told me who to contact, so I sent an email and I have yet to hear back from him. I was thinking if I don't hear back from him by Friday I'd email again.
    I don't understand why they can't show USBGA either. I know a lot of the fairs have open shows, that adults can show in, but a fullblood is a fullblood, and a percentage doe is a percentage doe no matter what registry you are using. If they want to use ABGA breed standards, that is fine. I think the breed standards were pretty much the same with all the registries anyway? Maybe different teat charts or something? Anyway, at the past shows they always had it listed on the show bill that they'd be using IBGA rules.

We've decided we'll just most likely stay with ABGA. But USBGA just sounds like they are so much easier to deal with. But around here, they just are not popular, I wish more people were using USBGA to give the value of those goats more swing here!