IBGA - register/transfer questions - new ? post #6

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by HoosierShadow, Jan 5, 2011.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Just curious, what do you have to do to get a buck transferred into your name? I would like to talk to my friend and see about getting our boy transferred, and was curious what you have to do. I am not registered with IBGA and don't plan on showing any goats myself - my kids want to show for 4-H.

Also, if my kids show in 4-H can't we just register the goats individually, or do they have to be registered as a farm? I remember someone telling me in order to show a goat you have to register your farm, but I wasn't sure if that included kids & 4-H.

Just something I've been meaning to ask.

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Re: IBGA - transferring a buck & registering question

you're considered a breeder now, so if you became a member you can register your "HERD NAME" and then you can transfer the buck to your name, and new kids from your goats would have your HERD NAME :)
    I think you can register goats and transfer w/o membership but it usually cost 2x as much

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

yep ....Katrina is correct...... :wink: :)

4. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Thanks Katrina! I'll look into getting the membership. I have my bucks certificate, etc. so I'll talk to my friend about getting him transferred after I get my membership. I'll have to wait until next month to do it unless hubby gives me the $$ <hehe>. I think my friend said a yearly membership was $40? I haven't checked out their website yet, but I will later today when I have more time to sit and read over the site. I'm still recovering from no sleep the night before LOL

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  6. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Ok I have more questions just browsing the site. Is there a particular form I have to file to have him transferred into my name? All I see is the Individual form, but it does say in section II for transfer information. I am such a dope at this stuff but I've never dealt with this before...

Also, do I have to transfer the buck into my name before I can register any of our kids? I have paperwork for our doeling born in July, all I have to do is date it, so she's covered, but what about our new doeling? Can I go ahead and send it all in together? I am hoping to get this taken care of next month.

And, how long does it take to get the papers back? I want to try and get our kids into 4-H with their percentage does, and would need papers for them, especially when we have to get them state verified.

I am totally in unfamiliar waters here, but it'll be exciting to have papers on the girls.

Also, I have one doe that my friend needs to get paperwork from one of her friends. So hopefully we can get her registered at the same time too.

And then the big question..... Do I have to wait and register them after we register our herd name, or can we do it all at the same time?

Thanks for the help :)

7. ()relics

()relics New Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Indiana
    I was going to try to answer these questions but after trying I am left with more Questions, of my own, than answers...Was the buck registered when you bought him or did he just have an application for registration? I assume he serviced some of your does that have now kidded? If the purchase date is before the service date you have no problems if not you will need a service memo from the owner, in order to register the kids.
    Every state is different as to the rules that 4Her's must follow as to herd names or specific registration details...did you say in what state your kids would be showing? Most percentages animals shown at the 4H level are not registered. they are indentified by an ear tag that is placed in the ear by the county 4h group leader. This serves as the animals identification, eliminating the tattoo and paperwork of the "papered animal. In my state, Indiana, papered percentage animals are shown in the same classes as non-papered percentage animals. Only the Fullbloods are seperated and shown in a different class. All our percentage does are tattooed and have the required paperwork so they are not tagged with a county tag, which only serves to indentify specifc animals, which a tattoo and paperwork does instead. The only absolute requirement here is a Farm ID number. premise ID, but that comes from the state not a registery. Naturally all wethers have to be tagged because they are not papered and usually not tattooed.
    This probably doesn't help you at all....I could get more specific but it might do no good as your specific state may have different rules.

8. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks for the reply! I am in Kentucky :) Our buck is almost 3, and is registered already. We brought our buck home at the end of July, but made a deal that I'd pay for him after the first of the year because his previous owner was claiming him on her state incentive program. I paid for him in full just before the first of the year, and she had already given me his Certificate of Registration & Pedigree from IBGA.
    The first doe that was serviced was the first week of August.

So would I just go back to purchase date being in July <I can look it up>, and pay the difference for it being over 3 months? Or would it be easier to just get a memo from his previous owner?

We want to have the does tattooed with whatever IBGA requires? We haven't attended a 4-H meeting yet, the kids were going to attend one last week, but our doe decided to go into labor that night LOL There is another one at the end of this month for those who couldn't attend the one last week. I know we can get a lot of information there. I know they have checks/tags of somesort through the spring for the fair animals, as I saw it on a newsletter I got this past spring when they sent me registration forms for our kids to join.

I need to find the paper that listed the classes from last year's fair, I think it was non sanctioned and was open class? Again this is foreign language for someone just getting into this part of the goat world :)

9. ()relics

()relics New Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Indiana
    service memo...The problem you may run into is you may not have your registration paperwork back from the IBGA before the date necessary to register the goats so they are eligible to be shown at this year's 4H show. You may find it is easier to just have them tagged so you are sure they are Good To Go come show time...Sometimes paperwork can get held up...You may find it is easier to just have your kids show a wether for their first year, until you get the whole idea of how things work. You could just keep one or two of your buckling kids wether them and then have them tagged by the county or whatever the normal process is in your county. That will also allow you more time to get your registration paperwork in place for your breeding animals so then the following year you will know exactly what you need and how to get it done.Besides a nice wether kid is the best place for a kid to start..I would make a call to the IBGA and fire all your questions at them...they will probably walk you through the whole process while you are on the phone and may even fill out the paperwork for you....Then you just pay them and its done...EVERY ONE was once in your situation...

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Did the seller sign and date the IBGA papers or just give to you the registration...if it wasn't signed and dated ....then...she will have to do that....now... if it was dated by the seller then....it has to be that date of sale...unless she changes it...but..... then she has to leave a note... to IBGA of the change....with your paperwork that you send in... to IBGA :wink:

I would call and ask the breeder... you both made an agreement.... :wink:

11. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks! Pam I just noticed the place on his Certificate where she has to sign. It's not signed, but since it's still in her name, I wonder if I can just give her the form for the girls and have her sign it so I can get them registered, and then worry about transferring the buck after that. She's a friend and we talk on and off, so she wouldn't have a problem doing it for me.

We're not sure what our girls will give us next month, and hubby won't buy any kids for 4-H, so we want to make sure the kids can show percentage does just in case. But I definitely would like them to have a couple of whethers for showing.
    The buckling we have now, hubby wants to wait and see how he turns out - we may sell him as a buck.

The actual 'sale' of the buck was official just a couple of weeks ago, so we could go off of the date I paid her for him. I'll just have her do what we did with our July doeling, hopefully it works out. I think my kids want to see if Madison <1-05-11> doeling will be good to show.

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome.... :wink:

Yes ....she will have to sign and date that registration or it is no good....
    It is up to you two... on how... you want to do the transactions.....

Make sure everything matches up...and if the Does where serviced by that buck.....make sure ...when the Does where exposed and who the owner was... at the time of service.... matches as well..... you don't want dates and services and who owner was... to conflict... as they will question it and stop the registration until it is straightened out... :wink:

13. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks Pam :) She claimed him on her 2010 state incentive program <? something I have to learn about too>, so that means she claimed him through the entire year. That's why we decided I would pay her in full after the first of the year. So I'll just have her sign the papers for me on the girls, which won't be a problem, and I've been wanting to get over and see her babies anyway! :) She would sign the papers for me on any other registerable kids too, so that wouldn't be a problem either.

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome..... :greengrin:

sounds like a plan....can't wait to see pics .... :thumb: :hi5: