Ibuprofen help

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by happyhogs, Sep 14, 2020.

1. happyhogs

happyhogs Member

Oct 12, 2009
    I have a pygmy cross goat who has badly hurt his neck. We're not sure how but probably sparring with one of the anglo nubians!

I've had the vet out three times now. They gave meloxicam on the first visit. It made very little difference. On the second visit, a higher dose of meloxicam. Still little difference. The third time, a steroid (think it was called corvasone or something very similar) and spasmium. This made a BIG difference but it wore off and left him back where he started.

I then decided to home medicate and all I have available as an NSAID is ibuprofen. I gave 600mg. I also gave him a buscopan tablet, the human equivalent to Spasmium. This is doing a great job of making him more comfortable but how long can i continue giving him these without causing his stomach or kidneys or anything else any harm?

I phoned the vet to ask and was told they'd call me but they haven't yet so I wondered if you guys could help?

He has also seen a chiropractor, by the way, and she's coming back on Friday but I need to manage his pain until he feels better and this drug combo is really helping.

2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Banamine or aspirin may be better, I'm not a fan of Ibuprofen, or any human drug for that matter.

Give selenium, b complex, and probios.

In all honesty, I'd source some CBD oil to give as well.

GoofyGoat and Iluvlilly! like this.

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Like aspirin, ibuprofen can be hard on their system. A daily dose for a few weeks won't do much damage but its not something I would give for long term. Meloxicam is usually given due to it being fairly safe long term. There are herbs and essential oils that may offer relief and healthier long term. Dexamethsone is a steroid that may help with the inflammation and allow healing. Might try 5 days of 1 cc per 20 pound..then decrease the dose over another 5 or 6 days so not to stop abruptly. Dex does lower the immune system and many choose to use an antibiotic along side of it. Could just keep a close eye on his health.
    Pain management can be hard when long term care is needed.
    Hope he mends for you

Iluvlilly! and GoofyGoat like this.
  4. happyhogs

happyhogs Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Thank you both for your input. Banamine and dex are only available through the vet. In fact the steroid I mentioned in my post, that the vet gave him, was dex under a brand name but she is very reluctant to give him a second dose and besides, the first one was only effective for about 6-8 hours so isnt really long lasting enough. The ibuprofen and buscopan are doing a far better job and if you say they will be ok for a few weeks, that's good as I dont anticipate this problem will lasting longer than that.

I am in the uk, by the way, and I think we have a lot less available here for goats. Virtually no-one keeps them as pets and their meat and milk is not that popular either so we dont have much in the way of suitable drugs or, indeed, goat savvy vets!

happybleats likes this.
  5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Do not use Ibuprofen on goats.

Aspirin if you do not have banamine or cannot get it.

goatblessings likes this.
  6. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Why not? I know Tylenol is not recommended for goats but I haven't heard of any problems with ibuprofen. I've used it on several occasions with very good results. I chose ibuprofen over aspirin when I had a lactating doe that either pulled a muscle or pinched a nerve during kidding and couldn't stand up. Aspirin is not recommended for nursing (human) mothers but ibuprofen is the safest of the NSAIDs for nursing moms. It worked very well for our doe and she was able to stand up unassisted later that day. I gave it to her for three days until she was over the hump. I've also given it to footsore packgoats with good results.

CritterCarnival and happybleats like this.
  7. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Yes, Ibuprofen is safe and effective. Children liquid is easy to give at 1 cc per 10 #. Do not give if the goat has an active bleeding situation, like aspirin, its a blood thinner. Also avoid if broken bones are the issue. Slows healing.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Ibuprofen is a stronger NSAID and should be used with caution.
    All NSAIDs can cause kidney and liver damage, gastric ulceration and bleeding of the stomach lining.

goatblessings likes this.
  9. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Isn't that only the case if it is overdosed or used long-term though? Using them for short-term pain management shouldn't cause any of these issues. I read somewhere years ago that Tylenol is bad for goats but I can't remember where I read it or why it's harmful so I avoid that one but I will give ibuprofen if I don't have access to banamine. In my experience it works better than aspirin, particularly for something acute like a pulled muscle.

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I rather not use it, but, very short term is OK.

11. happyhogs

happyhogs Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Thank you so much. Some interesting comments and sorry I haven't responded sooner but I have been reading your input.

As I said, I'm in the UK so lots of things are unavailable. Banamine is banned here so that wasn't an option.

Anyway, since my last post, the vet has prescribed bute at a dose of 300mg per day on the condition that all other drugs are stopped. I have literally just given him his first dose, having not given him anything else for 12 hours, so am waiting to see how he is.

Does anyone know how long bute takes to take effect?

12. happyhogs

happyhogs Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Frightening article there :ahh:

The advice from my vet was that they have experience with longer term use of bute to treat arthritic sheep and goats and also that there is a good dosage range, allowing me, as the owner, to determine whether to administer a higher or lower dose within that range, depending on how Tumnus is doing on any given day. We do not see this as a long term situation though. Hopefully, as this is clearly a trauma injury, it will heal over a few weeks and then all treatments will cease.

I am in a quandary though as I am loathe to argue with veterinary advice, especially as she has already said she was willing to withdraw her services if I home medicate but am also afraid of causing damage to Tumnus in any way by using potent drugs.

Regarding Tumnus's reaction to the bute....he had 300mg at 1145 yesterday, having gone approximately 16 hrs without anything else to clear his system. By 1615, he was showing improvement but not enough for my liking as he was clearly still hurting and was reluctant to move or eat much. I gave him a further 150mg at this time.

These dosages equate to an initial dose of 10mg/kg (4.5mg/lb) and then the 'top up' of 5mg/kg (2.25mg/lb) resulting in an overall dose of (15mg/kg (6.75mg/lb)

The top up brought him to the same level of pain relief, I would estimate, as his previous doses of ibuprofen had achieved.

It is now 0950 the next morning and he seems to have sustained that level of pain relief, is moving and eating well. On the ibuprofen, he would have required another dose as soon as I got up, to provide enough relief for him to eat and move 40 minutes later.

So......the bute appears to be doing its job and I am hoping that now we have reached this level of relief, I can sustain it with just the 300mg.

Watch this space!

toth boer goats and ksalvagno like this.