ice cream recipie

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by SDK, Dec 3, 2008.

1. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    ok guys. i have a major influx of milk right now ( literally) and i need to make something now!!

ice cream recipies?

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have an ice cream maker so I just pour the milk and sugar into the thing and turn it on. I also add what ever flavoring I like to it.

Also, you can make lots of REALLY good fudge for the holidays!!! I made 3 batches and some pudding tonight with some of my milk!

Ummmm - what else - liz said milkshakes are real good and easy.... you might also be able to put some on Craigs list for craft projects for others!!!

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I have an ice cream maker. I don't know what you have, but I usually put 4 cups of milk with a teaspoon of vanilla and enough sugar to taste. Very easy and very good. :)

4. alpinemom

alpinemom New Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Waldoboro, ME
    I have an ice cream maker, I use 2 cups of milk and 2 cups of cream(skimmed off the top of another jar of mlk), 2 cups of sugar,1teaspoon of vanilla.
    For other flavors you can add maple syrup,strawberries or chocolate sauce
    I recently purchased agreat book Goats Produce Too from Hoeggers it has some really good recipies and was only $14.95

5. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    I experimented a while back for a quickie (read fake, lol) ice cream recipe and found that if you add 6 cups of milk to 2 packages of instant pudding, it makes a fairly decent ice cream. I mix well and let it chill, then put it in the ice cream maker. If you use the chocolate fudge pudding mix, it makes a really decadent chocolate ice cream. I imagine you could probably make frozen popsicles out of it too.

My dad's recipe is:

4 eggs
    2 1/2 cups sugar
    2 tablespoons of vanilla
    1 teaspoon salt

Stir together until the sugar is melted, then pour into ice cream maker cannister. Fill to the fill line on the canister with goat milk and freeze according to directions on your ice cream maker.

6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Anyone got any recipes for doing it without an icecream maker?

SDK ... you could make soap as well

7. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i can't afford the lye..

8. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    Keren,

I've made the pudding mix one before without using the ice cream freezer. You let it freeze for a bit, then beat it with the mixer, and keep doing that until it's all frozen. I don't think it turns out as smooth as it does in the ice cream freezer, but it is still pretty good.

9. Pam B

Pam B New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Southern Michigan
    A 16 oz. container of lye costs less than $5 at my local hardware store.

10. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    the only lye we can get around here is the pelleted kind..

11. alpinemom

alpinemom New Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Waldoboro, ME
    I have trouble finding 100% lye here also. Ocassionally I can get it at Lowes. The man at the Hardware store said that Lye is used to make some sort of drug so it was taken off the shelves. what we have here has little pieces of metal in it. NO GOOD FOR SOAP :hair:

12. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    For those of you that can't get it off the shelf, can you go the pharmacy and ask for it? Seems like I was reading something about it a while back, and you had to sign for it at the pharmacy like you do for the good type of sudafed. All is used in the manufacture of drugs apparently.

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I get mine at Lows and even Tractor Supply carries it on occassion.

It's brand name is Roebic and it is a crystal drain opener.......100% sodium hydroxide. It's the granulated form, I have gotten the flake form from a man that makes bio fuel and the flakes didsn't work too well so I'll stick with this.

It comes in a round plastic bottle with a yellow lable and red lettering.

O and as far as the ice cream goes...I cheat and get the flavor pouches by rival at Walmart to use in my ice cream maker and also have the book mentioned above...Goats Produce Too...excellent and I use it regularly.