The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I remember that somebody on this board does this. Right now I'm feeding a mix of

1 part Show Goat
1 part Goat Chow
1 part BOSS
and
3 parts Alfalfa Pellets

I would like to do something like this;

1 part Barley
1 part Oats(rolled, crimped, steamed?)
1 part BOSS
2-3 parts Alfalfa Pellets
Molasses, or something else to help it all stick together.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I have stopped using molasses because of all the sugar in it. this is what i am feeding right now
1 part rolled oats
1 part rolled barley
1 part dry cob
2 parts alfafa pellets
then they each get a handful of calf manna and BOSS. all mixed together so its harder for them to pick out things they find yummier.
Adults are on a orchard grass hay now. Kids from last year are one an alfafa orchard mix.
beth

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I was just wondering what's better?

Wet COB or Dry COB?

I mean I know my situtation might affect this as well. I have a dry Boer doe, a Nubian/Togg/Boer wether, a lactating Nigerian Dwarf, her bucklings, and soon I'll have two dry but bred Nigerians.

·
Premium Member
28,343 Posts
sparks879 said:
I have stopped using molasses because of all the sugar in it. this is what i am feeding right now
1 part rolled oats
1 part rolled barley
1 part dry cob
2 parts alfafa pellets
hmmm so if cob is Corn Oats and Barley why does she have oats and barley in the recipe already? :shrug: :? I'm just easily confused I am sure there is an easy explenation to this :wink:

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Sara said:
Yeah, I was just wondering what's better?

Wet COB or Dry COB?

I mean I know my situtation might affect this as well. I have a dry Boer doe, a Nubian/Togg/Boer wether, a lactating Nigerian Dwarf, her bucklings, and soon I'll have two dry but bred Nigerians.
Well I guess it depends if you want molasses in your feed or not.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
from what I am hearing it binds copper so I have decided to try to get the girls off of it myself. I am gonna do dry cob, boss and beet pulp.

50 lbs dry cob
5 lbs boss
5 lbs beet pulp

I do alfalfa hay free choice for their protein.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
the sulphur in the molasses prevents the absorption of copper, they do make unsulphured molasses though.

Ours is a mix of oats, barley, BOSS and a little wheat bran, but I think any of the recipes mentioned here should work.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SARAH! Yes you were the person I knew who posted a recipe for grain, what is it again?

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
cob is a mixture of corn oats and barley, i like adding a little bit of corn in the for the ease of adding weight gain. Corn is a good filler. Personaly i like the dry cob because there is no molasses. too much sugar can cause digestive problems. I once had someone tell me that cob is good for weight gain and control, and oats are good for milk but not good to help add weight.
beth

·
Premium Member
28,343 Posts
I am just confused at your receipe since it has oats and barley then cob which is corn oats and barley

why be repeditive?

Can you just have a mixture of

Corn (cracked or whole?)
oats (rolled or whole?)
Barley (rolled or whole?)
BOSS
Alfalfa pellets

I am curious since this is the basics of my feed right now to my knowledge and I am tired of paying over 13.00 for 50# and if it turns out cheeper I can do it this way possibly I'd have to look in it :shrug:

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
my feed store doesnt carry straight corn, other then the cracked corn for chickens. My goats wont eat that.
Is there another corn product that i can give them? to help maintain the weight. If i could find something that would be great.
thanks in advance
beth

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I do the same as Trob1, i use beet pulp in the winter when browse is low to non existant and the quality of hay here isnt as good. The hay we get here is crappy and expensive. Local alfafa is yuck and shipping it fomr eastern washington costs your first born child. Its about twenty dollars a bale. even with my discount at the feed store its fifteen, im only feeding a orchard and alfafa mix that im getting at the feed store to my yearlings to help promote growth.
beth

1 - 20 of 28 Posts