The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Jake
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty new to the whole goat thing, and am in the process of building a new goat pen for my two boer/kiko does. The inside enclosure will be built in a section of our barn. It's totally flat with wood floors and is approx. 38 feet by 18 feet. I only want to use the space that would adequately house two full size does for eating and sleeping. Possibly have a kidding stall also. I'm starting from scratch on building the goat stalls so I need some input on how big to build them, do I need separate stalls for eat goat, what materials work best etc. Any info on what you guys would build would be very helpful. And also, I was planning on using wire field fence for the pasture, and run a hot wire to keep them from rubbing and bending the fence. Will that work? If not, any ideas on that would be great too. ;) Thanks ahead of time. Jake

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Field fence with a hot wire should work very well. If your goats have horns, try to get field fence with either holes that are too small for them to get their heads stuck or big enough that they can get their head out.

The recommended space for shelter for one standard sized goat is 25 sq ft. I would think an extra 5-10 sq ft would be adequate for 2 fence-line combo feeders. 2 separate feeders would also eliminate the possibility of one goat hogging the whole feeder and pushing the other out. No, you don't need separate stalls for shelter and feeding.

I would be careful to make sure there is adequate bedding down to soak up urine and that it is cleaned out very regularly to prevent the wood floor from rotting out.

The size of the kidding pens is going to be determined by where you live and your climate. I use kidding pens that are roughly 5' X 5' because they are small enough to allow the heat lamps to keep the whole area relatively warm. If you don't have real cold winters you could go with 6' X 6' or any size you wish as long as they are not so big as to allow Mom to isolate from her kids.

Since 5' X 5' meets the requirements for space, you could also simply build 2 stalls of that size, put a door on them and leave the door open when not kidding. Come kidding time, move the fenceline feeder into the stall and close the door.

·
Jake
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the reply. That helps me out a lot. Looks like the girls will be moving into their new home as soon as this weekend. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts