The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am going to be a leader for my local dairy goat project for 4-H this year. I already plan on visiting a local dairy for the kids to meet the goats and to learn how to make candles or ice cream, something simple. I also plan on taking the group to see a dairy goat show.

Does anyone have any ideas of other things we could do? Anything your group has done before that you or your kids enjoyed?

Any feedback is appreciated! Thank you!

·
Registered
424 Posts
What about finding a local judge that would come and talk to your group about showing or maybe attending a goat clinic as a group?

·
Registered
507 Posts
We have went to a goat milk dairy, which was very interesting! We also had a local vet come and do a dehorning demonstration, and answer questions regarding vaccinations, etc. We have went to livestock clinics held at local colleges. Some of our meetings are more paper oriented, some are hands on.

·
Boer Lover 4 Life!
2,991 Posts
Meet a local veternarian that deals with goats so that you and everyone else can ask questions.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Teach about kidding! Kidding is one of my favorite parts of owning goats, and I loved to watch the presentations and videos of it in our group.

Always do a rundown of basic breeds, goat care, conformation, diseases, feeds, and even showing. Make it fun! Create games out of it. Play Pin the Escutcheon on the Doe :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
My daughter loaned out her late kids that were small to all of the clover kids in our club so that they could show. Our fair even let them show young bucklings. Many of the clover kids do not live on farms-our club is a static exhibit club. She had goat practices at our house and taught the basics of showing. All of the clover kids received a trophy and were so excited.

Attachments

·
Look for me in the barn...
1,074 Posts
Put on a show - it doesn't have to be anything "official" but you could find a local breeder or someone who knows a good amount about judging and showing and would be willing to be the judge, have a showmanship class and a goat show. You can make or buy ribbons or do something else for prizes. Make it fun by having a costume class too!

·
Haley
1,554 Posts
I am the teen leader of the dairy goat group in my club. :) I've seen a lot of the ideas listed here done (goat milk ice cream is super fun). I also highly recommend the one about having a veterinarian come and speak. Another super fun thing is have a little quiz bowl or even just some trivia about dairy goat anatomy, etc. Mainly things you will be asked at a show. It was super helpful come show time, and one of my favorite memories of being in the project. Good luck!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think we are in your area (CA Foothills?), I've done multiple field days and judging activites - I can let you know when we do the next one. We have had 4Her's present their goats and then talk about them. Showmanship clinics and knowledge bowls. Why we feed what we feed. Digestive system discussion.

Depending on the level of you 4Hers you can also get out some Dairy Goat Journals and look at the judging classes. Talk about why they were placed the way they were.

I can also send you a list of some of the best shows in CA for 4Hers to attend. Ones that have extra activities for youth.

·
Haley
1,554 Posts
We have went to a goat milk dairy, which was very interesting! We also had a local vet come and do a dehorning demonstration, and answer questions regarding vaccinations, etc. We have went to livestock clinics held at local colleges. Some of our meetings are more paper oriented, some are hands on.
Can I ask which college(s) you went to for the livestock clinics? I am in California as well and am a teen leader for my group, so I'd be curious to see if that's an option for us as well.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Can I ask which college(s) you went to for the livestock clinics? I am in California as well and am a teen leader for my group, so I'd be curious to see if that's an option for us as well.
Northern CA or Southern CA?

Sometimes livestock clinics have dairy goats and sometimes they do not so just keep that in mind.

·
Haley
1,554 Posts
Oh and don't forget about UC Davis Goat Day on Feb 1

animalscience.ucdavis.edu/events/goatday/2014/Goat Day 2014 Brochure updated.pdf
Northern CA, and thanks for telling me about the UC Davis thing, didn't know about that.:)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Northern CA, and thanks for telling me about the UC Davis thing, didn't know about that.:)
NorCal... okay

Depending on where in Northern CA you are Modesto JC does a good field day. Chico State does a field day I believe. The Davis Goat Day is lots of fun. North Valley (Red Bluff) does a field day in November which is great (good way to start off the 4H year). If you are far north, there is a good field day in Oregon in late February.

If you are looking for shows, Red Bluff (NVDGA) and REDGA are good shows for 4Hers.

I just got the dates for Alameda Co Fair and I am putting on a second ring there with a 1 day milk test so if you are within driving distance to there, that would be a great show to attend, lots of 4Hers to meet and lots of Nigerian 4Hers.

We put on a field day in Stockton last year and we will do it again this year (in Sept). Plus depending on where you are I know we had a field day at our house last year with about 25 people. Don't know if we will do that again, but there were about 4 counties represented so I consider it a pretty good success.

Hope that gives you a starting out point. I can probably give more specifics depending on what you are interested in.

·
Haley
1,554 Posts
NorCal... okay

Depending on where in Northern CA you are Modesto JC does a good field day. Chico State does a field day I believe. The Davis Goat Day is lots of fun. North Valley (Red Bluff) does a field day in November which is great (good way to start off the 4H year). If you are far north, there is a good field day in Oregon in late February.

If you are looking for shows, Red Bluff (NVDGA) and REDGA are good shows for 4Hers.

I just got the dates for Alameda Co Fair and I am putting on a second ring there with a 1 day milk test so if you are within driving distance to there, that would be a great show to attend, lots of 4Hers to meet and lots of Nigerian 4Hers.

We put on a field day in Stockton last year and we will do it again this year (in Sept). Plus depending on where you are I know we had a field day at our house last year with about 25 people. Don't know if we will do that again, but there were about 4 counties represented so I consider it a pretty good success.

Hope that gives you a starting out point. I can probably give more specifics depending on what you are interested in.
Our group will possibly do the UC Davis goat day. The other ones, except for maybe the Stockton one, are a bit of a drive for us. We may look at the Stockton one, but Sept. is always a busy month for us. Thanks so much for all the good ideas!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My group is thinking of doing the uc davis one as well. Any idea when mjc is doing their field day? They are pretty close to us and so is stockton.

·
Registered
212 Posts
MJC Field day is usually the 2nd or 3rd weekend in March. I highly encourage the UC Davis goat day if for no other reason than to meet lots of other goat people.

nigies4ever - For you on the coast, there is also a show in Watsonville at the fairgrounds in July. A long ways off, but a fun show none the less. There is a show in Paso Robles in May (first weekend). I believe they have showmanship so it might be a fun chance to come down and practice.

Remember that at open shows, if you just want to do showmanship, you can use a goat you don't own just for practice. We let lots of 4Hers use our goats just so they can get a chance to show in the ring. If you want to go to one of the shows but can't get your goats there, it might be a good option :)

·
Haley
1,554 Posts
MJC Field day is usually the 2nd or 3rd weekend in March. I highly encourage the UC Davis goat day if for no other reason than to meet lots of other goat people.

nigies4ever - For you on the coast, there is also a show in Watsonville at the fairgrounds in July. A long ways off, but a fun show none the less. There is a show in Paso Robles in May (first weekend). I believe they have showmanship so it might be a fun chance to come down and practice.

Remember that at open shows, if you just want to do showmanship, you can use a goat you don't own just for practice. We let lots of 4Hers use our goats just so they can get a chance to show in the ring. If you want to go to one of the shows but can't get your goats there, it might be a good option :)
Our group does the CCCDGA Show in Watsonville actually. We are a Santa Cruz County 4H group, so that's one of our main shows. :)

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Break up different parts of management into lessons with hands on things too. Hoof trimmjng, kidding, vaccinations, maybe ask to visit a vet clinic when they have goats in. If your going to show then teach about grooming and have a grooming day.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Goat Forum mobile app

1 - 20 of 24 Posts