The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I buy my feed by bags and there's many different bags. I'm looking for ideas on how to store the grain. Looking for cheap or free ideas before I suck it up and buy garbage barrels. Any ideas/suggestions would be great!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I use metal trash cans, and love them. They're easy to clean out, last a long time, and are well worth the money they cost. But, if you don't want to try those I know some people that get the plastic pet food containers from Petsmart and use those.

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts
When Y2K came, my parents bought a lot of of grain; it came in 5 gallon buckets with screw-top lids.

Now that a few are empty, we use those buckets to store everything! Dog food, rice, sugar, coconut oil, and last but not least, goat feed. :)

They work perfectly.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I buy my feed by bags and there's many different bags. I'm looking for ideas on how to store the grain. Looking for cheap or free ideas before I suck it up and buy garbage barrels. Any ideas/suggestions would be great!
Check with your local restaurants, deli's, sometimes grocery stores.....they buy cooking oil and other food staples in large plastic drums that make excellent feed storage. Some hot water and Simple Green cuts the oil very nicely - I use it on drip oil buckets that we recycle for various uses. Wouldn't be too difficult to fashion a lid for it if one doesn't come with it. Another option would be to check around and see if the feed stores, ag supply, etc., gets anything that is non-toxic (drip oil is one example) in 50 gallon metal drums. They also make excellent storage and hold about 4, maybe 5 50 lb bags of feed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts