The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I probably get annoying by posting all of these threads but this one I just need ideas!!!
I was wondering how do you guys feed you goats garlic??!! Mine were eating eat but now they just wont eat mixed in (the garlic is finely chopped) there feed!!!!

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Bonnie eats them skin and all the doesnt care, and apparently really likes them. Possum Peen he used to eat them but now he drops them, so i peel his, and he will generally eat it. else I will mash it up with his Tortilla chips.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
If you have a treat that you give regularly, mix with that.
If you don't, try peanuts in the hull. Then slip garlic in one of the hulls.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Bonnie eats them skin and all the doesnt care, and apparently really likes them. Possum Peen he used to eat them but now he drops them, so i peel his, and he will generally eat it. else I will mash it up with his Tortilla chips.
See if he likes ground cayenne, sprinkle on his garlic.

Reactions: Iluvlilly!

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
My goats are picky poos -- and I am the queen of sneaking anything in them.

Especially garlic, garlic is my jam :p

I have endless ideas for sneaking garlic in.

Ya ready? (woot)(woot)

1. Whole cloves (goats take them as treats)
2. Whole cloves coated in molasses or honey
3. Suggestion #1 but tossed with feed
4. Suggestion #2 but tossed with feed
5. Crushed or chopped garlic in feed
6. Suggestion #2 but crushed or chopped in feed
7. Crushed garlic mixed with a teaspoon of applesauce
8. Crushed garlic mixed with a teaspoon of mashed bananas
9. Crushed garlic mixed with a teaspoon of pumpkin puree
10. Suggestion #7, #8, or #9 with Slippery Elm Powder added
11. Crushed garlic mixed with a bit of flaxseed meal and molasses to form a ball
12. Suggestion #11 can be shoved into the mouth of a goat a few times forcefully if they don't like it at first
13. Suggestion #11 can also be tossed into feed, or broken up slightly, then mixed with feed.
14. Garlic can be put into a peanut hull
15. Take a banana slice about an inch thick, scoop out the middle leaving a bit on the bottom, stick the clove in (or crushed garlic) cover the top, and offer to the goat or forcefully put into the goats mouth until they realize it is tasty.

In emergency (non-regular) situations

16. Crushed finely and mixed with water to drench carefully
17. Crushed finely and mixed with juice (carrot, fruit) to drench carefully
18. Crushed finely and mixed with olive oil to drench carefully or feed from a spoon

I think I got most of them. I will add more if I remember any. :ponder::haha:

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My goats are picky poos -- and I am the queen of sneaking anything in them.

Especially garlic, garlic is my jam :p

I have endless ideas for sneaking garlic in.

Ya ready? (woot)(woot)

1. Whole cloves (goats take them as treats)
2. Whole cloves coated in molasses or honey
3. Suggestion #1 but tossed with feed
4. Suggestion #2 but tossed with feed
5. Crushed or chopped garlic in feed
6. Suggestion #2 but crushed or chopped in feed
7. Crushed garlic mixed with a teaspoon of applesauce
8. Crushed garlic mixed with a teaspoon of mashed bananas
9. Crushed garlic mixed with a teaspoon of pumpkin puree
10. Suggestion #7, #8, or #9 with Slippery Elm Powder added
11. Crushed garlic mixed with a bit of flaxseed meal and molasses to form a ball
12. Suggestion #11 can be shoved into the mouth of a goat a few times forcefully if they don't like it at first
13. Suggestion #11 can also be tossed into feed, or broken up slightly, then mixed with feed.
14. Garlic can be put into a peanut hull
15. Take a banana slice about an inch thick, scoop out the middle leaving a bit on the bottom, stick the clove in (or crushed garlic) cover the top, and offer to the goat or forcefully put into the goats mouth until they realize it is tasty.

In emergency (non-regular) situations

16. Crushed finely and mixed with water to drench carefully
17. Crushed finely and mixed with juice (carrot, fruit) to drench carefully
18. Crushed finely and mixed with olive oil to drench carefully or feed from a spoon

I think I got most of them. I will add more if I remember any. :ponder::haha:
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
LOL - since ive been feeding B and C garlic, when they breath afterwards its like full on garlic breath mixed with berrys..lol - BUt Bonnie really likes it. Clyde is like hmm...dad I dunno...so ill have to do some of the above. the peanut hull trick just sounds awesome

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
LOL - since ive been feeding B and C garlic, when they breath afterwards its like full on garlic breath mixed with berrys..lol - BUt Bonnie really likes it. Clyde is like hmm...dad I dunno...so ill have to do some of the above. the peanut hull trick just sounds awesome
Lol. Completely not an advertisement, but my site has merch, I think you'd like this, you can relate! I love my goats' garlic breath and even garlic scented burps...lol.

560 (1).jpg
560 (2).jpg

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
The pepper wont tear up their stomachs? Ive wondered about that though man, lol because they dont seem to mind sour. lol
Sour! Oh, man the faces when my wife shared her sour gummy worms! Neither one of us had phones for pictures. Hilarious.

Reactions: lol

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Eat a clove, you won't notice their breath.lol

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
When mine seem to need it, they'll take it whole or chopped into feed. When they don't seem to need it, they don't want it. I'm not of the mind to force a medicinally powerful herb just because.

I do realize I'm in the minority here...

However, they do free range and there is a lot of wild garlic on the acreage. I've seen them eat the garlic tops from time to time.

Reactions: Dwarf Dad
1 - 20 of 27 Posts