ideas to get rid of Mtn. Laurel

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by 4kids, Apr 26, 2010.

1. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    We are putting in a new goat pen and of course we have Mtn. Laurel. I have pulled and pulled and pulled (I realize goats are NOT allowed to eat it). Anyone have a trick to get rid of it. It is very prevelant in our state but I know tons of people who have goats near it. It makes me very nervous however and I want it gone at least 6 feet off the outside of the fence.

2. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    Seems to be as hard as mesquite to get rid of.

I have a lot of poisonous plants on the property. The goats don't eat them. If the goats have plenty to eat, they will not want to eat things that are bad for them. I would just cut it down and mow it periodically.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Laurel is as toxic as Rhodedendron and are similar in structure and yes, goats will eat it regardless of the toxicity. I would cut down all you can and then use a herbicide on the stumps to prevent regrowth...provided the goats can't access the area during "treatment"

4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    We have some kind of laurel bushes here too, dont know if its mountain laurel. We have cut it to nubbins a few times but it comes back stronger.

5. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    We have been cuttingit down and pulling up the roots . I know that it has a shallow root system and my hope is that all the goat hooves will tear up any remaining roots that I missed. There are no leaves left just some stumps.

6. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    Herbicides don't work too well on Mtn Laurel OR mesquite.

7. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Any other suggestions then?

8. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    Can you build bonfires in the spot it grows? I've found that helps more than anything in keeping mesquite from growing back right away.

9. Dig out the roots, back up a truck and hook together. Then drive like the wind and don't stop till you are at the dump. hehe

10. Oh silly me, in all my play time I forgot the main part. When you get this done take you grass clippings, if you do not have any, make some start mowing an area. Pile this on the remainder of the roots and continue will you have a huge pile. The heat from the pile will kill out the roots. It does take a bit. This will also work if you want to get rid of tree stumps. You pile the grass on and around the stump. However, this will get rid of the problem just remember the more the pile grows the hotter it gets at the base. Oh, and if it gets real hot, you may need to turn it as it can catch but you will burn out the roots this way. Growing up we got rid of several trees, that was not trees you want in FL, this way.

11. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    I wonder if heavily manuring them would work like it does for poison ivy?

12. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    If it's hot manure (i.e. fresh) I'd think it would. That much nitrogen etc will kill pretty much anything.