The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I posted awhile back about our goat turning white, from helpful forum members it was determined he had a vitamin deficiency and we started him on treatment with goat minerals. I am proud to say, his color has came back. We are wondering can anyone identify his breed, the person we got him from said he was pygmy but he seems a bit bigger than pygmy's I've seen on this board. I just weighed him, he's right at 100 pounds, is this a common weight? Or is our little dude a bit chunky? One other small concern I have is I noticed he does this "dry cough" is this sign of lung problem, or is it normal for a goat to dry cough?

Thank you,

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
He definitely is part Pygmy. I would say he could be a mixed breed but I don’t know what he might mixed with! Do you remember if the breeder had any other goats and what they looked like? I don’t know much about Pygmy goats so I’m not sure about his weight. He doesn’t appear to be mixed with a Nubian that I can tell. I wouldn’t say toggenburg or saneen either..possibly Nigerian Dwarf?
He is very pretty though! Do you have a picture of him from above? Is it possible to measure him at the withers (you probably already know but just in case they are at the base of the neck.) to show us how tall he is?
Thanks!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Looks Nigerian to me.
At 100, he's definitely on the big size for Nigerian but from that pic his body condition looks really good to me. And his coat looks lovely, good work.
So, he could be a mix, or could simply carry genetics allowing him to be bigger than "standard" for the breed. Backyard breeders usually don't concern themselves with adhering to show qualities.

More pics may help to solidify his body score. Looks like his winter coat is on, making him fluffier right now.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
The average weight of a full-grown Nigerian Dwarf doe is about 35-45lbs. The height for males should be about 18 1/2 inches to 23 1/2 inches.
He certainly doesn’t look overweight and he does have really nice body condition.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts