The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on a quest to identify this plant that is taking over our property! It looks very much like a mint, but without the smell. I believe it is an annual. I think it's some type of hedge nettle or a look-alike, but I can't pinpoint the exact species.
I've pulled up or cut down most of them, hoping to reduce their numbers next year!

Stems are square. Flower spikes vertical (I had just pulled up the one in the photo so it's a little tousled). Usually grows 1-3 feet tall. Blooms in September.

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
If it has stings when not in flower, it is common stinging nettle. If it does not it dead nettle. Neither will hurt your animals. The dead nettle can be infused for an bracing astringent wipe. Mow them off and spray with white vinegar to get rid of them.

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks goathiker! It could be some kind of deadnettle, I'd just like to know the exact species name! :p The goats don't like it, but fortunately it isn't hard to pull up or cut down.

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
My goats ate all my nettles this year. The way they are grazing, I think we're in for a hard winter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts