If a doe had a difficult delivery .....

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by goattee22, Mar 10, 2011.

1. goattee22

goattee22 New Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Dayton, TX
    ...should she not be bred again?

If the kids weren't in the correct position when being born, is it going to be that way every time that doe gives birth?

If so, why?

When would you NOT breed a doe again?

2. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Goatee, I had two difficult deliveries this year. With the first, the baby was just too big for my ff even though she was 16 months old. Had she lived, I would have bred her again if she would have been able to breed (she also had a ruptured uterus, so we were doing a hysterectomy). For her it wasn't genetic or anything I would expect to occur again, but I wouldn't breed her until she was older. Her growth seemed to get stunted after she got pregnant while her two sisters continued to grow much larger than her.
    My second doe, the baby had died inside of her and was coming out truly breach. All I saw was a rump and a tail and she was straining but it wasn't budging. I had to help pull the baby by getting the legs out first. Last year she kidded with no problem at all. Also, the babies born behind this still born baby were born with absolutely no problems. I do not think that was anything more than fluke so yes, I will breed her again (and hold my breath next year!)
    I'm sure there may be some genetic reasons (or physical limitations) for difficult deliveries and if that were the case, I would not breed the doe again.

3. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Ok if it was me and my doe had a kidding problem, minor or major, I would most likely not breed her again. To me, these goats are more family than pets and i would be happy just letting them live out there lives without having babies. Last year my doe kidded breech, and was retired but the bucks got in and got her, she kidded and had no problems. Im not trying to be judgemental or anything! this is just my opinion though

4. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    It really all depends on the nature of the difficulty. I think that I would give a doe at least two kiddings to determine if she was prone to having consistently difficult deliveries. Sometimes kids just get tangled, and that doesn't mean the doe will have future issues. If she has plenty of capacity and proper conformation, she is less likely to have constant problems. I have one who consistently produces large kids. They literally flew out of her last year, but this year they were a tangled mess because she had one more in there than last time. It wasn't really a problem, however, because I was able to assist and they came out easily once not tangled. Sometimes they might have an issue simply due to being bumped hard by another doe in the field, and that isn't her fault.

For me, if the doe has an excellent build and her difficulty wasn't severe, I will breed her again. If the problem was huge, then I may reconsider...and if she had a lot of trouble and she also has questionable conformation I would say no...but then I try not to breed poorly conformed does.

5. goattee22

goattee22 New Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Dayton, TX
    Thanks guys, I just wanted to hear different opinions and experiences and then judge if I should breed my LaMancha again next year. I do believe it wasn't her fault, the babies just tried to come out at the same time. She was a FF, and She also did not receive proper care/ nutrition during her entire pregnancy! So I will give her one more chance. But if she has issues again then I'm like you, tinyhooves, I will have no problem keeping her as pet only

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you hit the nail on the head when you said didnt have proper nutrition. That plays a HUGE part in the delivery process and if it goes smoothly or not.

Some does are just not built for kidding and those you just shouldnt breed again but determining that can be hard to say over a computer screen. So I say go with your gut.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I totally agree... with what was said.... in these responses..... :thumb: