If There are some Computer pros on here . . . .

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Sonrise Farm, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Okay, my computer is having problems with the sound system. I plug in my 'ear buds' or any other kind of headphones, and the sound breaks free at times (into the computer sound speakers) and then the sound is rough and vibrating . . . .what do I do?

2. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    check the cables.
    Otherwise go without sound for a while, then try them later lol

3. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    This is Cinder's husband speaking...

Regardless of whether this is a laptop or a desk top, the most frequent cause for failure of the type you are describing is due to the cord being pulled laterally (up/down left/right), over time causing the contacts (on the inside) to bend back so they no longer come into contact with the male "plug". The design of the circuit is such that it senses the change in impedance when the headphone is plugged in, thereby disconnecting the external speaker feed. However, this would generally cause you to experience the loss of signal (sound) in your earbuds when the computer speaker "breaks thru". Either way, this would likely most easily be addressed by replacing the sound card.

If this is a desktop, the sound card is a $15 replacement thereby solving your connection problem. If this is a laptop, it will need to be sent in for service. The likelihood of something else causing this is substantially less than the circumstance that I just described, but is not an impossibility.

As a former representative of Geek Squad, I would not recommend their assistance in diagnosing this problem. Rather, I would suggest a small computer or TV repair shop that can inspect the actual connection port directly to address the problem. Replacing a sound card is generally not feasible in a laptop, but a repairman would likely have direct access to the female "plug" and may be able to address the problem. If the connection is the problem, this is probably a fast and easy fix. If the sensing capability of the circuit is compromised, it's not so simple.

Good luck.

4. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
  5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    that or try a different pair of earbuds :shrug:

6. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    I did . . .did the same thing . . . tried the earbuds with my laptop. . . . worked fine . . . .so it was the computer. . .
    But I took a flashlight and looked into the little plug in hole and kind of fiddled with it and it's working fine so far . . . . :shrug:. . .

7. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    There might be dust and dirt inside also.. use an air blower to get it out..?

8. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Re: If There are some Computer pros on here . . . .Doubly Help!!

Okay, I woke up this morning and tried to start my computer so I could do some schoolwork. (Yes, I always work through christmas vacation---drives me nuts if I don't. . .) and the thing would not start. It's the school's computer. I have to pay for it if it's dead. It's a Windows Vista Basic and I've had it for about 3-4 months. We've tried checking the plugs and everything, but the power button won't even light up so it's not getting any power at all.What do I do?

9. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    I assume this is a desktop computer? Unplug the power cable from the back of the computer and the wall, then reconnect the cable to the back of the computer and then plug the other end directly into the wall outlet. If that doesn't work, disconnect everything except the monitor, keyboard and mouse from the back of the computer & try powering it on again.

If this is a laptop, remove the battery and try turning it on using only the power cord.

10. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    I tried that. :sigh: still not working. I think the power card went kaput . . . .thanks for your help. . . .

11. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    Can't recommend anything else at this point that doesn't involve looking in the case & that might void the warranty. I agree w/the earlier statement..... don't take it to the Geek Squad. A local PC repair shop should be able to tell if it's just a power supply (only about $45 for the part if it's a low end power supply) or worse.

Good luck & sorry I couldn't help any further.