If you never no more, see me again, please do remember me!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by nancy d, Jan 31, 2008.

1. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Okee....over the next week its time to start graining preggo does. You know a half a dozen of them is life threatening.
    Tried it this am with about a cup of leftovers from the yrlngs you'd a thunk I was being robbed at gunpoint I had to drop that pan and back off!
    Yrlings, the "Little Girls" are fed outside the main pen and go back in (usually) on their own and I suffer no bodily harm.
    But now I will have two seperate batches to do and no one has collars cause they are horned. This means I will be subject to a half a ton of pressure on the gate. The mud won't be my friend either.
    Bringing them out one by one might be an option, but how do you guys do it? It may sound like a rudimentary question there must be some simple logistic that has bypassed my mind.
    All I have right now is enough pans, no long feeders.

2. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    A twenty foot long pole? lol

I don't have the large number of goats problem so I can't give any good advice but I clip little buckets in a line about 8 feet apart then open the gate and let the girls go to the buckets themselves- they sort it out- the fastest to the first and so on.

3. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    okay....I have fed 20+ does at once...most were boers....I ran through tossing grain into troughs......run like crazy cuz they will get you....that is the only advice I can give

4. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Rather than laughing at the mental picture of you drowning in a sea of goaties, I should have asked why you are feeding seperately and what your set up is- then maybe I can think of a reasonable suggestion- then maybe not as you have probably already thought through it already. :shrug:

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Oh Nancy, you scared the heck out of me. I just saw at Gun point. So I thought I better read the post. WOW, glad you are ok.
    I have that same somewhat problem. Do you have a place to lock some of them up? What I do is lock up the bullies so when they are done they can not go get the others. Then I take the others, I have the grain bowels and I just set them all over the place.
    Just be very careful (not like I have to tell you this), but those horns can do in the eye really easy. I try to set them apart and fast enough that I can get away from the pile. There is really no easy way. I have no idea why but those goats that do not have horns don't seem to be as mean.

Good luck

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Lol nancy i don't know, we don;t have any horns, but when we had a lot of goats my dad built this stantion thing, it was in the pen and had 2x4's that were like a milkstand. Eact goat had a spot and until everyone was locked in no one got grain, they learned pretty quick that they had to be ina spot to get dinner. No one could fight and i stayed outside the penit worked really well. I wish i had some pictures of it.
    No one got let go until everyone was done too, that way we didn't have does bashing other does from behind.
    it was like a big milkstand stantion without the stand part. When there wasn't goats in it we just locked all the head pieces and it was like part of the fence.
    beth

7. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    You guys are all too funny!
    Sweetgoats, no one is mean, they just need food and I just happen to be in the way. Wha yes I have plenty horn bruises but its just cause I don't move fast enough.
    EnjoytheRide the only reason I have been feeding the yrlngs seperate is that the preggos wont get grain till this week. Any options will be considered! There has got to be something that halfway works that I havent thought of.
    Alyssa please send video of your feeding frenzy!! Yup, these be preg Boers.
    ps Im still alive I think.

Beth I keep imagining a set up akin to a two holer outhouse, only enough holes to place pans in for the # of goats. You know how it is around here. Half the time its raining.

8. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I feed my does in their spots, I go around and clip everyone up, then I get their feed ready. I love feeding the does seperate. It also makes them alot better behaved at shows =)

9. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    nancy d: it was at someone else's ranch when i fed them! It was pretty funny but when I go back, I will see about getting a video for you......i love feeding those goats!!!!

10. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    This subject just had me howling!! I was feeding my Cashmere's and as I was putting the grain bowl down (I have 5 and I drop them as I quickly walk about 10 yards), I leaned over to put the first one down, and I felt this odd sensation behind me. Cashmere buck (borrowed), had his head against my butt, horns on both sides (my backside fit perfectly between his horns, he's only a little over a year old so it's not quite as bad as it sounds!), and he was "guiding" me away from the girls! It was very gentle...as horned bucks go...and I wanted to laugh...but of course I had to give him a little "head bash" so he didn't think he could get away with that...but I sure wish someone had been filming it!

11. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    a good broom will help you to get respect on the gate. i think this might not be funny if you seriously got hurt from your oh so loving goats.
    i had the same problem until i saw another breeder handling this situation.
    goats are very intelligent and learning quick. :wink: another possibility is to feed them from the outside of the pen.

12. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I'm lucky the dairy girls get tied up and are fed in a orderly manner :wink: My brother(he has boers) feeding time is so hectic for him, its funny to watch though :D

13. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    broom?

So they can sweep me off my feet?

This am I did try bringing the preggos out one at a time. It could have taken all morning.
    Mystify flat out refused, planted her feet would not budge, even with a little tail pulling. The name calling didn't help either. She's usually pretty quiet.
    I could really use a front loader for her.
    This is the experimental state. Notice the last two syllables.

14. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Nancy how many do you have right now. From the sounds of it it sounds like you have the entire seahawks front line coming at you at feeding time.
    I have my eleven proken up to three pens right now, five of last years kids three bred two not, still geeting shared grain, the three that are bred are going to have to go in with the four big girls soon, and then two bucks. One of which is for sale. Know anyone that wants an alpine buck? I have intentions of bringing pictures and pedigree info on him to snohomish.
    beth

15. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Beth, 11 must be a magic number! So far the 5 yrlngs are pretty good about coming out without a stampede.
    Logistically its the half dozen mac trucks Im not sure how to deal with. Had we more pens the Little Girls would be in their own and I would throw grain over the fence or something for the rest.
    Don't know how I did it last yr but there were only 3 pregnant. In a few weeks its going to be really nuts.

16. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

hmm, i have my four older does, three yearlings soon to be two year olds (two of which have freshened before and one will be a ff) and my one almost seven year old in the one doe pen. They come out two at t time. The always eat in the same spot, little bit and chrome know they are first. Chrome runs to the milk stand and little bit hangs out by the gate, she gets tethered to a post by the gate. Chrome gets locked into the milk stand they both get their grain, i throw hay to everyone while they are eating and that kind of distracts everyone. While those two are eating i mixx up the little handfuls of grain for my bucks, grab them a flake of hay and feed them, they eat in their pen but they each have their own bucket and they know their spot. there is little to no figthing. Check water and minerals. I mix up the kid grain for the five soon to be yearlings (btween march and july) they get a couple flakes of hay and their grain dumped in one long feed pan. Its made out of a pvc pipe that hangs on the fence. check water and minerals for them.
    By this time chrome and little bit are done. Chrome goes away first, and juju comes out she goes on the milk stand. My one yearling ruby is kind of rude, she wasn;t taught very good manners where she came from. But as chrome is going back in i can usually grab ruby and keep her back when i let juju out. Juju knows to go to the milk stand. She gets her dinner becuase she gets more then everyone else. Little bit goes back in and ruby takes her spot. I normally have to grab her collar or she runs around and starts eating jujus grain. It can be difficult to hold on to her when im traying to relatch the gate and get her tied to the post. My gate likes to fly back open if i let go, giving chrome the idea its time to escape and time for a second dinner.
    i think having everyone broken down into pens helps a lot. But im soon going to have the five yearlings in with the big does because this years kids will need that pen. So things are going to be quite chaotic soon.
    If you get yourself into a routine and always feed in the same order they usually pick it up pretty quickly and learn their order. At first i had to keep a squirt bottle by the gate, but i rarely use it now.
    Hope this helps a little
    beth

17. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Thanks Beth, BTW love the name juju!
    I realize they are creatures of habit, might have to just get a big long piece of pvc and try to referee or something.
    I think I can get around all this if we could just put up some kind of system that is out of the rain. Dry is at a premium!! They & hay rack are under cover. I need a loafing shed but it ain't happening any time soon.
    Preggos would rather stand licking rain water that drips off than travel 10 feet to the water tub.

If its really pouring I either wait till it quits or feed in the barn.

Please keep ideas coming you guys....you never know who's life you might be saving!

18. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Lol Thanks nancy, her registered name is wiggy, she was a w year kid, the people i got her from said she was bottle fed but she was wild as can be when i got her. I couldn't keep calling her wiggy when i got her thought they were junxing her, it was bad juju to call her a name that she was, so juju kind of stuck. Its always funny when she misbehaves or something because we say bad juju jokingly. She has done a total personality turn around, she is my favorite now and one of the sweetest in the herd. When waiting for her grain she puts her head through the hay feeder and gives me kisses when i bend over by the hay feeder.
    She is a big mule goat you should see her ears they are huge! but she is sucha sweety she rally has quickly become one of my favorites.

beth

19. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Twin Cities
    I've found that once you set up a system they pick it up amazingly fast. I only have 3 goats, so this might not help, but I give them each a dish and when one of them goes after another one's dish, I take them all away. This way they learn pretty quickly to only eat out of their bowl if they want to finish their dinner. If one finishes first, they just lick their own bowl. At first it is hard and they might end up a little hungry, but once they get the hang of it, it's very nice.

When I first got them, I just had 2 and I couldn't keep them eating out of their own bowls. I tried tying them for a while. Once, I tried tying one to the shelving in the barn, not realizing that it wasn't attatched to the wall! That goat pulled down the entire 8 ft shelving, and it almost landed on top of him! I nearly had a heart attack.