The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Colorful Quality Boers
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...what would you say about this 3 1/2 month old FB doeling? Pros-cons?

First 4 pics form today, others from last week.

Attachments

·
Boers & Nubians
1,911 Posts
Pros
*Wide chested
*Good depth
*Thick, straight topline
*Great capacity
*Great rump
*Wide boned
*Square
*Great muscle definition & conditioning
*Strong legs/pasterns
*Good bite
*Good pigment
*Teats look to be correct (Not too easy to see)

Cons
*Looks a tiny bit posty in her back legs
*Brisket could be more defined

I really like her. Her color makes her so cute!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
She is sooooo rugged looking like a little tank. I would like to see her a little more level on her topline but other than that she will be hard to beat imo.

·
Colorful Quality Boers
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input. There is just something about her conformation that I can't seem to put my finger on... I am hoping somebody can help me see what it is. ?? Maybe it's the posty legs like you said Katelyn? I think it makes her look short bodied and I constantly have to check to make sure I don't stretch her too far so her topline won't break. She doesn't have the greatest topline to begin with so her no-stretch legs makes it hard!

I like hearing how people word their critiques. Helps me learn how to describe a goat better!

I am a little worried as she is getting a tad low on her pasterns. Should I be worried about her getting too heavy? She's already 70lbs. Is that a normal well fed doeling weight?

·
14,456 Posts
I'd say her weight in in genetics, my 5mo old wethers were in the 70# range a few weeks ago.
The thing Im concerned about (I tend to over feed) is too much weight too quickly. A doe who is built like a tank to begin with I think I ruined her rear feet by too fast a weight gain as a yrlg.

ps she's ugly. Send her to my place.

·
Colorful Quality Boers
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, she's 3 1/2 months and is gaining at the same rate as our buck kids. I am a little concerned about over feeding, but I know for certain every breeder who is in this for show feeds their kids the same thing we do. They don't seem to have problems! Maybe some BoSo would help before show? It's not bad at all, just not perfect.

The judge who judged her in May said she is "extremely correct on her feet and legs". :confused: So is the posty legs thing not a big deal?

·
Registered
17,201 Posts
Pros
*Wide chested
*Good depth
*Thick, straight topline
*Great capacity
*Great rump
*Wide boned
*Square
*Great muscle definition & conditioning
*Strong legs/pasterns
*Good bite
*Good pigment
*Teats look to be correct (Not too easy to see)

Cons
*Looks a tiny bit posty in her back legs
*Brisket could be more defined

I really like her. Her color makes her so cute!
Trinity, you pretty much nailed everything, great job!

Well, she's 3 1/2 months and is gaining at the same rate as our buck kids. I am a little concerned about over feeding, but I know for certain every breeder who is in this for show feeds their kids the same thing we do. They don't seem to have problems! Maybe some BoSo would help before show? It's not bad at all, just not perfect.

The judge who judged her in May said she is "extremely correct on her feet and legs". :confused: So is the posty legs thing not a big deal?
Now I agree on her great topline, depth, bite, width, pigment, bone size, and almost ideal rump,
She is posty in her rear legs. Not what I'd consider extremely correct. An ideal rear leg set is one that is not posty, and not too angled, but in between those two, that is what's correct.
I'm not sure why they said her legs are extremely correct, they are not too ideal,
I think she could use a tad, just a tad, more body length.
And it looks to me she has a very minor toe out.

But I would score her a 90-92

She is a very nice blocky girl, but be careful feeding her too much. You do not want her to gain too much fat and cause reproductive problems later on.

Very nice girl.

·
Registered
17,201 Posts
Ok, I can't get my words to sound right in "type form" my post above sounds like I am being extremly critical of you little boer doe. I can't figure how to word things without it sounding that way when you read it. :(

But your little doe is very very nice, other than some posty-ness in the rear legs. Great size for her age too.
I hope it didn't sound rude in the above one!

·
Goat Feeder
1,416 Posts
She is a great little package. Very eye pleasing and really stout. To be the perfect package I would like to see her more level. A little more length of body would help complete the package and balance her. She appears to be soft in the pastern. A little better blend to the way she comes out of the shoulder area would be eye pleasing and there is something about her neck transistion that seems a little off. Her rear leg set could be better but could be the way you have her set.. Her hip could be bigger and will develop more with age. Overall she is put together very nice and will be at home in the show ring and will make great breed stock in the future. You can send me a pm with price and shipping cost to Oklahoma.

·
Colorful Quality Boers
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay we'll try that and see if it gets her up a little more on her pasterns.

Thank you all very much for the input. I am hoping she'll do well. She won her first show at 9 weeks old out of 10 doelings and the judge really liked her. That was at a small show though so I'm guessing we'll be placed about mid class at the bigger shows.

That's okay LBNP. :) I don't think it sounded critical. I like good, honest opinions! Thank you very much for your input.

She's a Crossroads keeper GT. :) 1 of the 2 this year.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
504 Posts
She is a beauty! I had a doe that the judge said was post-legged. It can make a big difference how you clip back there too. The next time, I gave her more of a curve in and the judge didn't say anything about it. When you are clipping, look at her rear legs on the profile and try and shape them - maybe it will hide it. Just my two cents :)

·
Colorful Quality Boers
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks. :)

Hmmm... clipped red hair really shows, but maybe I'll try that and see if it helps! I would hate to wash her rear muscle out though, but I think we should try to carve out the profile side of her hock and see if that helps any.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Try trimming the hair in the curve by her hock a little more. It will give you a better look at how her legs actually are... may be more set than we see :)

I love her! She's beautiful! Im on my phone so I can only see her so well but it looks like she's a little short hipped which in turn creates the posty legs.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Thanks. :)

Hmmm... clipped red hair really shows, but maybe I'll try that and see if it helps! I would hate to wash her rear muscle out though, but I think we should try to carve out the profile side of her hock and see if that helps any.
Didn't see this comment before I posted! I wouldn't mess with the hair above the hock curve too much. Just touch it.up and blend it in good

·
Colorful Quality Boers
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Dani!

I had never even seen someone carve out the hock until I watched a clipping demo at one of the shows we were at. Course that was on a traditional goat so who knows how it will look on a red one!

I'm looking forward to trying that though and hope it helps some!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.