If you were to get another breed...what would it be?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Dover Farms, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    What breed(s) do you have now?
    If you were to get another breed what would it be?

I'll start! :lol:

We have Nubians and two Kiko crosses. If I were to get another breed I would get Alpines. I am thinking I might get a couple when I move out and on my own. I am only 14 right now, so I have plenty of time to research different breeders and find out what bloodlines I like best! :greengrin:

2. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas

3. hornless

hornless New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Err..Alpines or Pygmies.

4. LiddleGoteGurl

LiddleGoteGurl New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    Well, I have several RGs that are LaMancha, Saanen, and Alpine, and of course we have tons of Kikos.. so I am good to go there I think. I always know that in the back of my mind, I would love to have a Nigerian Dwarf herd. They are such awesome little goats! And I could have alot more of them than my standard sized goats.

But, alas, I don't have millions of dollars... so I need to stick with focusing on one breed.. until I am out of college and have my own place AND a job!! :D

5. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    I have to learn what I'm doing with the pygoras I have right now, but eventually hope to add dairy & meat goats. I was thinking Kinder goats or Nigerian Dwarf........ gotta win the lottery first to afford it :)

6. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Katherine....you forgot about Pixie! You have Nubians, too! :ROFL:

7. LiddleGoteGurl

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    Well.. I mean besides my main herd of Nubians (which so far is only one strong :roll:) lol!!!!!!!! Haha :D

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well i have the Cashmere now. If I could I would go with Nubian's and then Kiko. I would of gotten into the Nubian's from the get go but man do you all have a lot of work. So because I am lazy, I chose cashmere. I just love those dairy faces. I would Never get into the Boar goats, ONLY because I could NEVER sell them foe meat. I would have to keep them all.
    If I was to win the lottery, Well, I would a have all kinds of goats. I just LOVE them all

9. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I raise Nigerian Dwarfs and love them. I've toyed a few times with other breeds like Lamanchas and even Mini-Oberhaslis. I do like Lamanchas a lot but we went into it all wrong and if we do it again I'd start with really excellent quality kids and rear them up so they'd get along with my Nigerians. At this point I don't have space or want to deal with another breed so I'll stick with Nigerians.

But to answer the question, if I was going to do another breed I'd choose Saneens or Alpines. I love the body elegance of both breeds and both would be easy to breed minis from without worring too much about ears, roman noses or anything. I know with Saneens I'd have the white color but that's easier than chamoise and I could do it. :)

10. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    Have boers, kikos, one pygmy and one fainter. I'd like pygmys, fainters, or nigerian dwarfs.

11. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    I'd go with some sort of mini-dairy breed, Alpines, or Nubians. I think Nubians are so cute and with all the different colors. And the Alpines are so gracefull, and the mini dairy breeds would be easy for me to handle and the best of both worlds.

12. sungoats

sungoats New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Jackson NJ
    I have Alpines. I'd probably like to get some Oberhaslis (sp?). I love their beautiful coloration, but I'd have to figure out how them spell them first! :oops:

13. LiddleGoteGurl

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    LOL Jan you got it right!!! :D

14. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I have alpines now, we had one nubian who was a very loud bothersome doe. Have had a few lamanchas also very loud and obnoxious. I have always gone back to my alpines. I had pygmys loved them but they moved on to make room for more alpines. If i were tog et a second dairy breed it would most definatly be oberhaslis. They are so beautiful i love the true rich bay color. Every herd i have ever met had been calm sweet natured and laid back. I fell in love with one particular herd at nationals. they were so sweet.
    If i ever get a meat goat it would have to be fainters as i love all the color combinationas and the smaller size rather then boers.
    beth

15. mystic's_mom

mystic's_mom New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Northern, MN
    I have one Nigerian\Pygmy cross, and one Nigerian...my Pygmy doe is going to Hornless as soon as she can arrange the transportation for her...

I want to eventually get Lamanchas again...they are kind of the "impish pygmy" of the dairy goat world...They nibble ears, escape fences, figure out gate locks, and just in general cause lots of trouble...atleast mine did...they were just smart; but I loooooved them! Just like I love my Pygmies...little imps!!! I will get more Pygmies as soon as I can...

16. LiddleGoteGurl

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    I LOVE LaManchas, too!! My brother is going to start raising them, so I will have my fill... :D.

17. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I have Nubians and Boers, if I were to ever get another breed it would probably be Alpines. But I have my hands plenty full right now focusing on my Nubians and Boers.

18. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We have LaManchas, and we are going to have Oberhaslis as our second breed, with Saanens as a token breed :D

19. alpinemom

alpinemom New Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Waldoboro, ME
    I have 14 Alpines, that I love dearly. If I was to add a second breed it would be Toggenburg. Alpines can be very aggressive when it comes to new additions and Toggs are alot like Alpines when it comes to sharing pens.

20. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    I have Fainters and I really don't want any other kind of goats. They are so easy to handle and keep in. I have had a boar/alpine and a boar/nubian before and they kept getting out of the fence.
    If I did get another I would want just 1 good milk goat to supply goat milk in case of bottle babies.