I'll be getting my first goat in about 6 months! - updated

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Kittikity, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Kittikity

Kittikity New Member

Jun 12, 2008
    The people that I work for at the goat farm want to sell a couple of their extra goats.. The only one they've decided on is a blue roan nubian/mini alpine doe named Bluebell.. She's registered as an experimental.. I think she's about a year, maybe two.. The lady offered her to me first before actually putting her up for sale and I accepted! :wahoo: And she'll only be $100..

Now, this doe does have some issues we'll have to work through.. Like she's rather skittish because the lady said they weren't able to handle her much.. Most of their babies they bottle raise.. Didn't ask why she wasn't.. I've already made some progress just from yesterday.. I carried some animal cookies around in my pocket and would offer them to her randomly.. With the last cookie she let me pet her face without running off.. I think she'll come around pretty easily.. I might also sit in a stall with her for a while so it's just one on one time.. I've got a whole 6 months to work with her..

She's also never been bred before.. With her being a mix, they really didn't have a reason to breed her since she was only a pet.. But yesterday we gave her a shot to bring her into heat.. That way when I take her home I'll be able to milk her.. Then a couple months later when I get my american nubian doeling from them (cross your fingers for doelings, lol), I'll already have a milk supply for her and I'll have had lots of practice milk.. I'll also have a companion for the doeling when she's old enough to go outside..

Yes, I know it's not the perfect deal.. But this doe is really cute and I really do think she'll come around.. She's really sweet and gentle.. Her mom (mini alpine) isn't skittish at all so maybe I'll use her to influence the doe.. I've tamed feral kittens before.. We'll see how I do with a doe.. = ) I'm just excited to know that I'll have a goat to milk in 6 months..

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: I'll be getting my first goat in about 6 months!

OH thats great!!! how exciting.

Goats are so addicting and once they bond to you it is so special.

You will have to post some pictures of her, we all love pictures :D

3. Kittikity

Kittikity New Member

Jun 12, 2008

Yes, I was going to get pictures yesterday but forgot my camera.. I'll get some next Monday or Tuesday when I go back.. I actually saw a doe here that looks a lot like her.. I'll see if I can find the thread..

4. Kittikity

Kittikity New Member

Jun 12, 2008

Oh, I just found it.. It's your picture of Jasper, Stacey.. lol She's a little darker then Jasper though and without the white patch on her side..

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

interesting. Now that isn't a normal color for either nubians or alpines that I recollect so she may have some pygmy in her. But who cares right? it is just so much fun to have them, mutt or not. :wink:

6. Kittikity

Kittikity New Member

Jun 12, 2008

Well, her mom is mini alpine.. But the lady did say that her dad sometimes throws roans.. He's an all black american nubian.. She also used to have a purebred black nubian buck that threw spotted kids.. One of the spotted bucks from that father is going to be the daddy of the doeling I hope to get next spring from one of her other does, a spotted american nubian doe.. Not related, of course.. My mixed doe is going to be bred to her other spotted junior buck.. (She has two..)

7. babe817

babe817 New Member

Apr 4, 2008

hi, congrats on getting your first goat. i have a saanenxToggenburg..
    at first she was really skittish..ive had her for about 4 months.. and she starting to calm down slowly. Still annoying to work with though. shes due to kid in august to a boer. so it will be intresting to see the kids. make sure you just stock up on all the things you will need for a goat before she gets home.. make a shelter for her to sleep in and so she can get out of the weather. and a fenced of area.
    take care.

hope you stick around.

8. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma

That sounds really neat! Goats are such wonderful animals.

9. Kittikity

Kittikity New Member

Jun 12, 2008

Ok, I finally got pictures of Bluebell.. She has a little more roaning then what shows in the pictures though.. I also learned something else yesterday.. I had assumed that she was going to keep the kids from her but the lady said that when she kids, the kids will be mine also.. She also sent me some Bluebell's baby pics..

Bluebell as a baby..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bluebell now..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I particularly like this one because it shows how much she is starting to progress.. She actually came up to me and let me pet her face.. Probably thought the camera was another treat for her.. lol She's never far from her mom and I'll carry cookies around in my pocket for Bluebell but I'll give her mom (Little Darling) some also because she's such a sweet darling.. I'm also hoping it'll help to "milk" Bluebell.. Yes, pun intended..
    [​IMG]

They also have another little doeling that they've had for sale before I started working there a little over a month ago.. I'm thinking about getting her too.. They were going to keep her but had too many doelings they wanted to keep so had to change their minds on some of them.. This little girl is alpine/nubian.. I forgot to ask how old she is.. But I like the pretty creamed coffee color of her.. The lady also said her mom is one of their best milkers..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Kittikity

Kittikity New Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Forgot to add that the lady gave me about a half a gallon of goat milk when I was getting ready to leave.. Tried it as soon as I got home.. It's got a slightly different taste then store bought cow's milk, but it's yummy..

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    She is a beauty!! And to think you get er kids too...thats awesome! Yep....to me though its store bought cows milk that tastes different!lol

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh she is beautiful. the nubina/alpine doeling is beautiful too. Babies are so much fun!

13. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Oh, oh, she's already got "it", and she hasn't actually got the goats yet? But, I noticed this time it's not our fault...right? She came to us this way. OK, Kittikity, breathe, you are suffering from this "addiction thing", you seem to have an advanced case! :ROFL:

Oh yeh, beautiful goats! Luckily you are working at the goat farm...6 months is a long time to wait. One of the members here, just got hers after a 6 week wait, she was going bonkers waiting for them to be weaned!

Well, congrats, and welcome to TGS. We love pics, and since you were so quick to get the pics up I am sure you'll keep us updated on their progress. Lots of nice folks here to answer questions, but it looks like you have a good mentor to start. :wahoo:

14. Kittikity

Kittikity New Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Di, I have been "suffering" for some time now.. Been researching for almost 2 years, on and off.. This is the first time I've really had the opportunity to get goats.. I didn't know any goat people here before this and was always afraid of going to auctions for obvious reasons.. I think I'll be ok waiting 6 months though.. It'll be hard, yes.. Very very hard.. But at least I get to visit her every week when I go to work.. I'm also going to start giving the other doeling lots of extra attention to get her used to me also.. She's not really skittish but isn't openly friendly to me yet either.. Besides, I'm going to make that 6 months very useful so I can get supplies and such.. We are a one income family so it's going to take me some time.. Right now I have nothing but an unfenced acre and a half of weedy yard.. I want to get everything I need for them before they get here.. Especially if I'm going to have babies to bottle feed..

Then there will be the nubian doeling I'll be getting from them.. She will be the start of my kinder herd in the next couple years.. Might be earlier then I thought because she's going to induce heat in a couple other does so they can have milk in the winter also.. They use the milk for bottle feeding and for themselves.. Her older bucks are already getting stinky face so they're getting ready.. Her junior bucks(the spotted ones) aren't quite there though.. She tried to put Bluebell in with one of them and they just played around.. This will be the first breeding year for the junior bucks though so they may take some time to get the idea..

It's funny, my husband was mowing the yard today and said I needed to trim the branches on the oak trees in the front yard.. I told him I'm letting them grow so I can feed them to the goats once they get here.. :slapfloor: He just sort of laughed at me and shook his head..

I think the hardest thing for me will be waiting for Bluebell to kid since they will be my very first babies.. They have a doe now that they don't know when she's due (sneaky buck) and one of the first things I do when I get there is check and see if she's still pregnant.. I am so eager to witness a birth.. I've had other pets that have had babies.. Even made a homemade incubator and hatched out chicks myself.. But a goat birth will be a new thing for me..

Gosh, I rambled on with this one, didn't I? :type:

15. Kittikity

Kittikity New Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Oh, also in Bluebell's second and third adult pics, she has some hay on her back because she was laying under the hay rack when others were eating.. :)

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    nothing is considered rambling when it concerns goats :thumbup:

17. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Oh please, ramble on! Things are a little slow here lately. What does your boss do to induce heat? I was wondering if that was possible.

18. Kittikity

Kittikity New Member

Jun 12, 2008
    She gives them a shot.. I forgot what exactly it's called.. But I think she did say it was progesterone.. Goat dairies also induce heat so they can be in business year round..

19. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the most common is Lutalyce (or something like that)

20. Kittikity

Kittikity New Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Well, Bluebell isn't bred yet.. The shot didn't bring her into heat yet so the lady gave her another one.. She's about 2 or 3 and never been bred so I'm wondering if it's taking time for the shot to really work.. But I'm not in a hurry so I'm not too worried about it.. Just don't want her to have them in the middle of next summer because it's very hot down here in central Florida.. Several of her other does are coming into heat on their own though, so I might actually have a new nubian doeling before Bluebell kids..

I'm not getting the mocha colored doeling after all.. The lady's husband wanted her to be sold with her sibling (also a doeling) so they sold them to somebody who bought both of them and a handsome little black buckling.. I'm glad she was able to stay with her sister and I helped load her into the truck of the people that bought them and they were real nice people.. So I'm happy for her.. Besides, leaves a space open to keep one more kinder doeling once I start my herd.. :cool: