The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Illinois and we think it's gonna be a very hard winter should I get my nubian wether a goat blanket so he can go outside or do u think hillbe fine if it's to bad he will get a heat lamp in his stall but do u guys think I need a blanket for him

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
If his stall is draft free and has lots of straw bedding he should be ok. Make sure he has access to hay all the time, their rumen digesting food helps keep them warm. If he starts shivering you can get him a goat coat. Is he your only goat? If so you should really get him a companion, otherwise he will get very lonely. Plus they can snuggle up when it gets cold and help keep each other warm.

·
Administrator
85,665 Posts
It all depends on how he reacts to the weather and how much winter coat he has. If a goat is healthy, they do not need a heat lamp or sweater, it is up to you on whether or not, you want to use it though, use your best judgment. If he is in a draft free barn or shelter it helps too, but make sure there is ventilation.

If the temps are really low, using a heat lamps, will bring up the temp a bit in the barn. I know a breeder in Alaska, that did put out some heat lamps for her goats.

Make sure they are not wormy or have cocci, it will drag them down.

He will do better, if he has a friend to snuggle up to as well.

Have good thick bedding.

Feed good hay and have a good supply, free choice.

Feed Ammonium chloride in grain or buy one with it in it.

Water freezes, so a heater for the water will be beneficial.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts