Illness affecting my baby goats

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Blwg402, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Blwg402

Blwg402 New Member

Jul 22, 2019
    Texas
    Last year I had a case of joint ill in my herd and had to put the baby down. This year I made sure to triple dose all newborns with iodine on their navels and also dip their hooves as I had read an article about bacteria possibly entering the bloodstream through a newborns hooves if they stood while the hooves were still soft.
    This year I have had 10 babies. One by one they are contracting joint ill. Usually appears between 3-4 weeks. The first never responded to anything and had to be put down. The second didn’t respond to anything the vet gave but he refused to prescribe Baytril since it’s an off label use in goats. So I posted on a local Facebook forum and was able to get Baytril from a farmer. My goat started to improve and is still on Baytril. Last night I noticed another baby goat (32 days old) limping with a swollen front joint. I cannot understand what is happening. I keep my barn clean, i’ve Literally powerwashed the whole thing, put down bleach, lime and hay in the newborn stalls. They goats spend most of their time in the outside pen or in the fields. The babies all received colostrum from mom, dam raised, very happy, jumping, active goats until BAM! Suddenly they start limping. I’m starting to think this is not joint ill. In trying to research this, I’ve come across something called Mycoplasma that also presents with swollen joints. It’s best treated with tetracycline so yesterday’s baby goat I started on LA200. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about this? I’m dread even going out to the goats now, afraid another baby is down.

2. Dwarf Dad

Dwarf Dad Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    happybleats likes this.

3. Karen Kuntz

Karen Kuntz Active Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Has your herd been tested for CAE?

sunnystatekidz likes this.
  4. Blwg402

Blwg402 New Member

Jul 22, 2019
    Texas
    Yes, this was one of the articles i read that made me think this may be what I’m dealing with. However, all the babies have come from different moms and I’ve not noticed any mastitis in my herd. The ones affected are the oldest of the babies, so I’m carefully watching the next in line to see if he shows any signs of problems.

Dwarf Dad likes this.
  5. Blwg402

Blwg402 New Member

Jul 22, 2019
    Texas
    Re CAE testing - my herd hasn’t been tested but the two babies who passed were both tested for this and it came back negative.

6. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I wouldn't think CAE would be a culprit at such a young age. I would test the milk from your does for mycoplasma.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Welcome.

So sorry for your loss. :(

8. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Oh dear I'm so sorry, I haven't heard of Joint I'll causing such a wide spread problem. Do you have an agricultural University nearby that offers Necropsy?

happybleats likes this.
  9. Dwarf Dad

Do your goats get plenty of copper from their minerals?

10. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Look into giving vitamin D. When I first started with goats a lost a LOT of kids to ecoli, I did a lot of research and vitamin D plays a huge part in fighting bacterial infections. At first I didn’t think this was the issue because no one was showing any classic signs of vitamin d deficiency but I was at my wits end so I went ahead and started giving dams vitamin D shots (actually vitamin a and d) a month before kidding and it was a total turn around. Granted we are talking about joint ill not ecoli but I think it’s worth looking into.
    I agree with salteylove though if you can get a necropsy done then do so. The liver biopsy can tell you a lot about minerals and such

toth boer goats and Blwg402 like this.
  11. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Im thinking you are on track with Mycoplasma rather than joint ill. Too many cases, especially since you clean well..Dwarfdad posted a very good case study. Necropsy, as mentioned is your best course of action to see what is happening. I think I would be proactive and start all kids on La 200 (biomycyn is same medication with less bite to it)

toth boer goats likes this.
  12. Blwg402

Blwg402 New Member

Jul 22, 2019
    Texas
    Re: Nearby University, not that I know of. We are in northeast Texas. In going over more about mycoplasmosis it seems like the whole herd need to be treated. I’m awaiting a callback from my vet. I’ll take the butt-chewing I may get for going around him and getting Baytril from an outside source (he can’t legally prescribe the drug to me since using it in goats is an off-label use - I completely understand this and don’t blame him for not risking his livelihood to do this) but so far the LA200 doesn’t seem to have made a difference yet. It was only one dose, though. If the whole herd needs to be done I’d rather get the biomycin. The thing that gets me is that the Baytril is working in my other goat. She’s back to running and improving daily. Why is it working if this is mycoplasmosis instead of joint ill? I don’t have the answers. I just want to give them the correct meds to get them better. Hopefully the vet will call me soon.

toth boer goats likes this.
  13. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

The Baytril must be effective for the mycoplasma.

Blwg402 and toth boer goats like this.
  14. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Does Texas A&M have an extension near you? They'll do a necropsy. I'd call and see if you could ship a frozen/cold kid in. Here's the link to their lab. I know they have a few campuses that do lab work. They should be able to help.

https://tvmdl.tamu.edu/testing-information/fees/

toth boer goats and happybleats like this.
  15. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I was about to ask the exact same thing! LOL

GoofyGoat likes this.
  16. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I thought that veterinarians CAN prescribe an off label medication for another species? Or some veterinarians do?

Sfgwife and happybleats like this.
  17. Dwarf Dad

I think they can, just are probably worried about liability if things don't turn out right.

Blwg402 and Nigerian dwarf goat like this.
  18. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

Are these Boers by chance?

19. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I think a close working relationship with your vet goes along way. It is risky for them to give any medication off label unless they see the animal and prescribe it. Location also is factored in, Texas is not as bad as California is.

20. Blwg402

Blwg402 New Member

Jul 22, 2019
    Texas
    Nope, Nigerian Dwarfs.