I'm a newbie! Discharge question

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Firestone Creek Farm, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Firestone Creek Farm

Firestone Creek Farm New Member

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA
    Hi everyone. I'm completely new at goats, and I've been reading a lot and researching, but I still thought I'd better ask someone about this. Kadabra, the doe I have that was "possibly" bred, has a little bit of a discharge from her vulva. It's a creamy, whitish-yellow color. She hasn't uddered up or anything, and according to Chelsey, I think she would have been due sometime next month (is that right Chelsey? I can't remember for sure! :) I think around the same time as Cowgirl though, maybe? ) She's not really been putting on much, if any, weight, so I don't know if maybe she's just not uddering up yet (does that happen on first fresheners sometimes?) or if she's only carrying a single or if maybe she's not preggers. I just REALLY wonder if I need to worry about the discharge or not. Could she be in heat?

Angie

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    A whitish discharge can happen when they are in heat or close to kidding (a month or so out too)

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Stacey is right, this type of discharge can happen a month away from freshening or it could be a heat, a good way to tell is to feel for kid movement, just in front of her udder and her right side...looking at her from behind, FF can sometimes wait till the last minute to udder up...I had a very young FF that didn't have an udder til she delivered and then it was just the size of a baseball, she did come into milk a few days later and grew to a softball size..her kid did well too.

4. Firestone Creek Farm

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA
    I emailed Chelsey, too, and took some pics and sent them to her. It looks like the discharge is gone now. She's not "acting" any differently or anything. I felt for movement earlier and felt something, but I told Chelsey I wasn't sure if I was feeling a kid or rumen movement. I'll try again in the morning and see if I feel anything. She said she should be due any day--between now and when Cowgirl is due. SO, if she IS preggers, then maybe it won't be long. If she isn't, then I'll mark it on my calendar and guesstimate when she'll go in heat again, right?

Angie

PS Thanks for all of your help! :)

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes Angie that is how you do it :D

6. Firestone Creek Farm

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA
    I think Chelsey's going to post some pics of Kadabra for you all to look at... see what you think. :)

Angie

7. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I posted a seperate thread as well. But here are the pictures...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]