The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my French Alpine Claire, is small for her size, and I am almost 100% positive she is pregnant... Today is 148 days gestation, and her tail is arching a bit and her tail head is raised a little, not a lot, just a little. Her udders look a bit swollen, but not glossy or full. Her ligaments near her rear are still pretty pencil like... But today her vocals changed! It is a deep bleat, and she calls at me EVERY time she sees me now! She usually would look at me and call once or twice if she was in the mood, but today she calls at me EVERYTIME in a very deep vocal.... I need help! If I get a girl I'm planning on bottle feeding her... I don't have colostrum but I have formula, can I get the colostrum from Claire? Claire has kidded once before and she is 2, but I didn't own her when she kidded... I have no freaking clue what to do! I check on her constantly through day and night, and I'm sooo tired! My BFF was supposed to come do baby watch with me but she "forgot" and went out of town... I'm 14 and this is my first kidding I'm terrified! I have 3 kid kits... HELP!!!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Okay. The worst thing to be us stressed because that makes the goat stresses. Do you have pictures? But by your description she is due any day now. Look at the "canal" and see if their is any discharge or amber. Her hollering at you means she wants you. Go over to her tell her it's okay stay with her for a while. And go back in your house. Come back out after 2 hours and check on her. Repeat this. Yes I know it is tiring but you need to do this if you need to help with her birth. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Yes take a deep breath! :) it's a good thing that she has done this before.......most kiddings go on without problem. They do get more needy the closer they get and I agree about checking her every couple of hours. Sounds like she's definitely getting closer! Any pics? Udder and pooch shots are great!! Lol!

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
On Fias Co Farm, there is a LOT of kidding advice which helped us TONS. I also would search for a goat vet, just in case you need him. Take a deep breath, it's going to be okay. :)

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
I agree with still, pictures are best! We love pictures of doe's back-ends.

If you want to bottle feed a doeling, then yes, milk Claire and get colostrum when the baby is born. I know that they sell packaged colostrum supplements at feed stores, but it doesn't compare to the real mother's.

Goat births are usually quite uneventful and you don't need to do much. Try to get your vet's, or another experienced goat person's, number just in case. It is great that you have your kidding kit at ready.

Most does will birth during the day, so I would only check the doe once during the night as kidding approaches. Remember to get some sleep!! Look for restlessness, loss of appetite, soft-talking (a low maaing, I have a video of it), pawing, stretching, pushing, licking, groaning, discharge, no ligaments, filled udder.... and then you are a go!

Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Never mind..... We had a friend who has done goats for many years come out, and apparently she isn't pregnant..... This is horrible

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Well we still want to see pictures if your girl!! We love to share our furry friends!

You mentioned an udder though?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I must have just gotten my hopes up.... This is hard and I am severely disappointed this sucks!!!!!! Minor really I the mood to take pictures

1 - 9 of 9 Posts