I'm a newbie, Hi all

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Coyote Night Acres, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    Hi, everyone
    I'm new to the goat spot. Well kinda, I've been lurking on here for months soaking up all the information I could. I finally decided it was time to register to be a member. We got our first dairy goat back in the spring of this year and have added more so we now have a good herd of 11 dairy goats. Most are registered lamanchas (We're planning to start showing next year) We have one registered alpine (she was the first) and two saanen alpine mix doe's for milk. Anyway we got bit by the bug for sure. Before the goats we had a small herd of sheep. I loved the sheep, but hated the shearing. We sold the sheep after a tragic loss of my best ewe in the herd. She was really more like a goat in nature. She was dam raised, but in your pocket wanting scratchings all the time. She would lay by your feet and chew her cud, we were so bonded that it crushed me when she died. She got frothy bloat and it went so fast, I tried to save her but I wasn't quick enough. We sold the rest of the herd because it just wasn't the same without her. None of the others were anything like her, even though I gave treats and all they were still spooks. The goats are all sweet and friendly like my ewe was and a plus no shearing. January will be our first kidding ever, I'm a little nervouse but have educated myself very well with this site and have the breeders number an premission to call any hour of the night. Oh and I'm absolutely obsessed about bloat now, I don't want anything to happen to my goats so I watch them closely.

:wave:

2. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

I'm sad to hear about your favorite sheep! Things can really go downhill fast & at least you tried. It seems like no matter how hard you try to keep the animals all safe & healthy, something can still pop up. At least you have learned from it & now you have the knowlege to possibly help others out who may come into a similar situation that you have dealt with.
    Kidding is my all time favorite part of the year---best of luck on some easy deliveries & healthy kids for you in January :)
    Showing is a lot of fun also--you will learn so much!

3. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Welcome! Sorry about your doe, but I hope you'll learn to love your goats as much! Glad you decided to join as a member -- funny how a lot of us were "stalkers" before joining up.

4. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    Thanks guys! It was a rough time and I'll always remember her and miss her. I'm really having a lot of fun with the goats and I'm already so attatched to them. The lamancha's are awesome, but even my alpine and mixed girls are just the sweetest natured, I would think because of bottle feeding, but one of them was dam raised and not friendly when we got her. They just tame up a lot quicker than sheep. :love:

5. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Welcome to the group... :wave: I'm sorry to hear you lost your ewe. :(

6. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    Hi and Welcome from W. Washington....! Glad to hear that there is one more Goat=Lover in the world!

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    welcome :wave: glad you joined us.

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    So glad you joined us! Losing those special friends is never easy, especially when we have done all we could to save them :hug:
    Goats are definately addicting...I think it's because they are just inquisitive critters that thrive on the attention we give them, who can resist a cute goatie face wanting a cookie? :love: Just wait til you see your first kids...you think you love your girls now, you are gonna be in goatie heaven with those babies :love:

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Welcome...so happy you are here with us.... :thumb: :wave:

10. newtopygmies

newtopygmies New Member

May 26, 2010
    ashville alabama
    Hi, welcome from Alabama.

The people here are really nice and helpful. You will love it here.

Sorry about your loss.