Im at lost and dont know what to do.

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by WalnutGroveFarm, Nov 19, 2010.

1. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Ok my doe is having problems with her eye again. This time it looks really bad, it is draining and has discharge and is swollen. Does this sound like pink eye. I hope not cause she is pregnant and I have heard this will cause them to abort.

What I did yesterday and today was do warm compresses, and put some vision in it. I thought maybe she had got something in there that was causing irritation. I also have used the puffer stuff on it. Im at loss and dont know what else to do. I do have pen and bio-mycin. It just looks bad and is really swollen below the eye like in a hard knot. So I dont know. Please help if you have any ideals. I would take her to the vet but my husband got laid off and bills are really tight at the moment. Thanks :cry:

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Joanie...before you think the worst, this may not be pinkeye but it really sounds like it is severely irritated. Get a bucket of warm/hot weak salt water and a couple clean white rags and wipe her eye with a sopping rag, let the warm water wash over the entire eye. Dry her face and since she's tearing up, you can apply a little smear of bag balm or vaseline under her eye so it doesn't crust up. Repeat this am and pm and you can also lightly hold a warm wet teabag on her eye...tea has good things in it to help with blocked tear ducts and stys as well as swelling....and it's safe, won't hurt the babies. IF this doesn't help clear things up you can squirt Pen G directly into her eye 2 x a day for 5 days.

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    pen G at 1cc directly on the eye (make sure it's warm, and no needle (duh) )
    Also a warm tea bag compress would really soothe it

4. hmmm..............just thinking about the way things work in people??
    What color is the drainage? A thick snotty Greenish yellow would indicate infection. If it is clear or whitish, the thing that comes to mind with the hard knot, is maybe a plugged tear duct??
    Is the eyeball it's self red? Is her temp normal?

5. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Besides looking under the eyelids and checking it thoroughly... I don't really have any other advice besides what you've already done. SORRY! :(

It doesn't sound like pink eye to me though...

Have you checked her eyelashes? Does she have entropian? Is this the same doe that had eye problems a while back?

6. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Yes it is and it looked better and now its bad again. Ok I will try those things tomorrow. At this point im willing to try anything. I would really like everything to go good with this doe cause I lost her daughter last year and it broke my heart and I dont want nothing to happen to her. These will be the first babies born here from her to me cause I bred her back this past winter and she missed carried cause I believe she was rammed to hard. But I appreciate all the help. It means alot to me.

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    If you have LA 200 that is better to put in the eye. I do 3 times a day on the first day, then twice a day.

The tea bag always helps loads!

8. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    LA 200 really helps with the goats eye irritations/infections. I thought Lilly would go blind a few months ago, but 2 weeks or so later, she cleared up.

1 x a day, 1 cc in each eye was all it took.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I do the same.... even if... it isn't pinkeye.... If it kills and heals pinkeye quickly.... I say why not use it... for other eye irritations.... works great.... nips it in the bud :thumb: :wink:

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Is using the LA200 safe for a pregnant doe? Joanie's doe is preggy with very much wanted kids, would using an oxtetracycline even topically in the eye be safe for the pregnancy?

11. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    wish I had some LA200 I dont keep it cause of the sting factor. I keep bio-mycin instead Im a wuss dont like to hurt the goats. I will try some of the things that have been suggested and then do the pen cause I do have that. Thanks so much for all your alls help.

Yes most wanted babies.

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Hmm.... great question....I would think it would be OK....as it isn't going through her system... and is treating the eye topically..... but... to verify this... I would ask a knowledgeable vet.... :wink:

It does sting.... but for eye ailments.... it takes care of it quickly..... :wink:

13. LA 200 and Biomycin are the same! And from what I've been told it is safe in prego does, as it is used to keep a doe with syphilis from aborting. THAT'S WHAT I WAS TOLD. I did use biomycin on my pregger girls for a resperatory issue, and everyone was fine no spontanious abortions.

14. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Yes, LA 200 and Bio Mycin are the same product and they are safe for pregnant does....a matter of fact it is the recommended treatment for chlamydia (pink eye) in goats to keep the does from aborting. :) So don't be worried about using them on the preggys. :)

15. That was it. NOT syphilis, Chlamydia! oops! got my std's confused, lol.

16. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    DITTO ^^^

La 200 Biomycin and Duramcyin are all oxytetracyline just suspended differently. But each is the same mlg per ml so the dosage is always the same nomatter which oxytet you use of the 3

17. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    So it would be alright to put bio-mycin in the eye are should I just give it as a shot. Would I put 1cc of it in the eye and the same if I give shot? I did do the salt water and wiped and wiped her eye. Then I put vaseline under her eye to try to keep it from getting crusty again. I think it looked a little better but not sure. Do you think I should do the salt water for a few days and then start the bio-mycin are should I go ahead and do it tomorrow. Thanks.

18. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    A couple of my does got eye irritation today, I tried the warm water with salt, worked nicely! But just incase I put in some LA 200. This worked real well, 1 cc in each infected eye.