I'm back!

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by goatnutty, Jan 15, 2011.

1. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Wow..i just looked and haven't been on here since mid november! Things have been so crazy around here we almost completely sold out of our goats..only 3 left right now. Now we are looking to start over and make a new herd but we arent sure what breed we want yet..any suggestions? I'm definately keeping a few boers and my one little pygmy (well I guess he isn't so little..) anyway its good to be back!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Welcome back Sara

So what breeds are you considering? What are your plans?

3. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    thanks stacey!
    I'm considering sticking with the boers. I don't really want to get back into pygmy's or lamanchas. If I decide to get full sized dairy goats again..i want a breed that is really friendly and gentle because we have little kids around here a lot. Since I show with 4-H around here there really arent that many nigi's so I probably don't want to start breeding them at this point.

4. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Welcome back. I always heard that the Lamanchas were friendly and gentle. I also heard that Saanens are the calmest of the breeds, but I guess each goat is different. Good luck in your search.

5. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    thanks peggy! LaMancha goats really are friendly and gentle but the earless-ness kinda bothers my family haha they dont like them. The only thing i don't like about the saanens is i like color in my herd

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Oberhaslis are gentle and they have color (but only come in one pattern) and do have ears.

7. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Welcome back my fellow Hoosier :greengrin: .....wondered where you have been!

8. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Stacey- I thought about them but we only have one family showing them and they moved so I would be competing against myself
    Thanks Denise! It's good to be back!

9. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Welcome back Sara!!!

I think you should consider any breed that you like and narrow it down and then make a final decision. Make sure to do what you want, not anyone else. Let us know if you figure out what breed you're going to go with! ;)

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome back Sara :wave:

Toggs are fairly sweet but have that one pattern with varying shades from "mud" to "mahogany". They can be MASSIVE too :wink:

11. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Thanks guys! I really like the Obers but i'm not sure yet. My boers are still tugging at my heart haha

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I know what you mean... about the boers...they are tugging at mine also..... :laugh: :hi5:

13. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    haha yeah! Getting rid of all of them was terrible! I only have two boers right now..

14. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    Stacey - Oberhasli's do come in Black as well, However only acceptable in Does.

15. Desert Viking Ranch

Desert Viking Ranch New Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Arizona
    Have you ever considered some of the heritage or less popular breeds like Spanish, Kiko or Savanna? I love my Boers but have considered starting a small heritage Spanish herd being from the Southwest and all. I came across the Savanna's which seem to be very similar to Boers but all white http://www.savannahassociation.com/

16. jodief100

jodief100 New Member

Jan 15, 2011
    I would also recomend a heritage breed, though I do love me Boers and Kikos.

Look into the San Clemente Island Goats- critically endangered.

http://www.scigoats.org/

17. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Well, if I wasnt planning on showing I would definately consider those but because of the shows I think I should stick with the more peopular breeds.