The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who remember last summer I had to sell my herd to go to college. I am happy to say that I recently accepted a job at an amazing dairy as a manager for their dairy goat herd. I am able to start my own herd back up as well as continue the farms herd to create superior genetics. The last month has been crazy on the farm and I am seeing a lot more things than I have before. Like a beautiful milking parlor, new technology for the goats to monitor their health that makes my job easier. Different issues or learning experiences here and there that is amazing and fascinating. We had a freemartin born and was producing milk at 5 days old!
After trying out different animal industries, horses, dairy cattle it was so easy to slip back into dairy goats.
I missed the goatspot community and am very excited to be back to learn more and hopefully teach others.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow! Congratulations, that sounds so interesting. Is this a summer gig or part time with school or in place of school? I hope you love it! Does the dairy run one particular breed or many?
Currently its part time based on my hours working around school. Once I graduate it will become full time
Right now our starter herd is a lot of unregistered mixed breeds but we want to go to registered Alpines, Lamanchas and Sannans along with a handful of Oberhalsi (sp?)

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What did you go to school for? Being a manager at a dairy is something I would be interested in going to school for and I would like to know the details of all that entails.
I am currently going to school with an associates in agriculture business management as well as taking classes in animal science. Eventually I would like to get a degree in Dairy Science as well.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:welcomeback: Where did you go to college for this job? It sounds like a great place to work!
I went to SUNY Cobleskill and the farm is very close by to campus. There are a lot of students from your state at Cobleskill. I very much recommend and love Cobleskill. Couldnt have asked for a better education and experience

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That sounds like an awesome job! What university are you attending, and how are your classes right now affected by all that's currently going on?
I am attending SUNY Cobleskill. My classes are now all online which is very difficult for me because this is not how I learn and I have a lot of hands on classes. My wifi is spotty at best and I miss my friends, my nightlife, my professors and campus. Cobleskill is home and to have to pack up and leave halfway through the semester when there was so much left to finish was heartbreaking. It did give me the chance to move into this job which I am grateful for but I miss campus.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Being in New York with everything going on has been hard. There are a lot of students from campus who live in the city and surrounding areas and they cant go home, who knows when they will get to see their families next. Along with a lot of city people at the beginning of this who moved to their summer/vacation homes upstate near me and brought the illness with them.

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
5,694 Posts
Be safe! I know its hard..but be distant. Just keep reminding your self. Its temporary. A great 6 months to dive into your studies & work. When some of my classes were online. I set alarms on my cell for each class. I had to do them then, just like I was on campus. I made it work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts