I'm Considering Angoras. and have a few questions

Discussion in 'Fuzzy Fibers' started by deJardine, Feb 25, 2010.

1. deJardine

deJardine New Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    Hi there!

I have a small herd of Nubians (7) and am considering getting a few Angoras. I am not yet a fiber person but would like to learn more. Would it be a mistake to get a few Angoras? Can someone please tell me what I am looking for in stock - would it be better to go with white or colored and what is an average cost to pay per goat in CA? OR - should I stick with Nubians?? Also, my goats are all CAE neg... do Angoras also get CAE tested??

Thanks so much!

Rachelle
    Paso Robles, CA

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Welcome -- not a fiber breed person so I am sure someone else will chime in to give you specific advise, but i do know that any goat that is over 6 months old can be CAE tested regardless of breed :)

3. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    rachelle

HI :p how's annie doing? her brother is the "model" always making goofy poses.

I say stick with the nubians, lol but if you were to get angora's , get some of allen's colored ones, the white ones he has a D-U-M-B moms. they have really nice colored angoras, i know, i've been their handler several times.

The only benefit i could see to you getting angoras is to blend the fiber with your fuzzy's wool. it'd make a stronger fiber but still be super soft.

4. deJardine

deJardine New Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    Lol! Sarah -- Well, I think you are the voice of reason I really needed to hear!! I don't spin - and honestly am not sure if I "need" another hobby! LOL. I think I am going to stick with Nubians. The waiting for my new girls is killing me but I should be expecting some babies in March! Weeee, here we go!!

Hope you all are good with dumb questions - I have a boat load of them!! LOL!!!

:laugh:

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    no question is dumb -- bring it on ;)

6. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    lol maybe get one if your itching for it, but i know my dairy goats are enough for me. plus having an animal i cant wash/groom drives me nuts

7. deJardine

deJardine New Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    Well, I got my "fiber fix" and decided on a super-duper-cute Angora RABBIT! He's a BEW and such a darling! He is one of my favorites already and spends evenings sitting with me while I work on my computer!

I will stick with my Nubians... :D

8. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    lol you sure i can't tempt you anymore with the uber-cute nigie babies i taunt you with?? but i agree the fluffybunz is a better(and cheaper) substitute for the angora goats. who'd you get him from

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well, being a fiber person, I love the goats. If you were to get a Angora just remember they have to be sheered twice a year. I LOVE the colored ones. The gray-Blue are just so stunning.