I'm crazy, there's no other explanation.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Dreamchaser, May 29, 2010.

1. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I'm bringing home another alpine buck. God, the neighbors are going to kill me. But I'm also bringing home 2 registered does. How does one go from not being able to find any goats to buy, to so many available at once?

I feel bad for the person I am buying 2 of them from. He's having health issues, and needs to thin down the herd. Also, he is going to do meat goats, which is easier to raise than the dairy goats. I'll be picking those up next weekend.

Tomorrow, I am picking up a registered doe that someone bought as a 4-H project for a young girl. The doe is not easily handled by the small child, so they bought nigis instead for her.

I'll post pics of them all when I get them home.

2. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

Pffffsssshhhhttt...I started with 2 does in October and now I have 2 bucks and 18 does. You are so not crazy...YET.

Congrats on the new additions! Can't wait to see pics!!

3. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Pennylulabelle I started out with 4 does and 5yrs later are at shoot vat are da numbahs?
    7 does 2 yrlings 1 buck & wether and now 2 bucklings. Not counting the babies we might keep.
    *Must have head examined* WAIT no time or $ for that guess thats why Im "Content With Addiction".

4. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    LOL...sounds pretty normal to me! :)

5. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010

I am so NOT mentioning this to DH. We only have 3 does right now (hopefully all pregnant.................)

6. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Must be nice to live somewhere that has so many nice pedigreed does to buy Penny. lol I seems like I have to travel hours to find anything here. I can't wait to start retaining.

7. pennylullabelle

Nigi's are pretty big here. Not nearly as big as Toggs, Aplines and Nubians. But still big enough for me to have lots of people to learn from! A few of my does have come directly from big farms but the rest of them have been people who bought 2 or 3 goats from farms around here and then decided they weren't "goat" people. Is that even possible? But that's the best way to find nice goats without paying $600-1000 for them! So, here and there, when I could afford it, I found 2 or 3 for around $100 each and as long as they were from good lines and had good conformation I brought them home! Most recently Laura (TinyHooves) and I went to meet a gal getting out of her Nigis with 6 or so. We picked out 3 including a Twin Creeks BW Rebel W/O A Cause*S granddaughter out of some nice goats and she is wonderful! I am going to start showing her next month and expect her to do quite well.

Craigslist is my friend :) teeheehee Have you tried watching CL for goats? I have all the cities within 100 miles of me saved and I will go on once or twice a month - when I have "free time" - and search for "Nigerian." That's how I found almost half my girls!

8. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    If you're crazy, we must be, too! We started with two does in April, thinking "milk and later...meat". One nubian, one boer. Then we thought about 4-h and they show meats goats here, so off we went to get a boer buckling and two boer doelings=5. Four kids want to show and they have to be babies, so we traded the nubian for another boer doeling. The nubian was mean to the doelings anyway and not pregnant like we thought. I decided we didn't want to breed the buckling because he's polled (not good for boers), so off we went and bought another buckling while we banded the first (has to be a wether to show anyway). Uhg! THEN I wanted to make the most of our buck this year and decided we should have at least five does to breed him to this fall, don't ya know. So...yesterday we went to buy another boer doeling and her mama was so beautiful I bought her, too. :scratch: That's 8. And, the original boer doe (my favorite) is pregnant, due sometime between soon and August. Lucky for us this is a meat goat area. It's wonderful to meet more crazy people!

9. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    Y'all are pitiful! LOL

I only have 9. All does/doelings. At least I can still count them. Don't ask how many ducks or chickens I have. I have 40 geese. LOL 7 guineas and 12 turkeys.

And 14 puppies. Anybody need a Great Pyr?

10. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I wish! I scour CL once a week and never find anything good. At the most, I find something labeled "Pigmey", when it's clearly at least a ND mix. Or "Nanny goats", which are usually stick thin Nubians with horns. It's awful.

Although, I did put myself on the waiting list at Enchanted Hill next year. We're vacationing with my cousin in NC, so I can pick the kids up directly from them. Ought to be exciting :) I've got a year to save as much money as I can, because I know I won't be able to leave with just one. :p lol

11. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I'm a craigslist junkie too. That is how I got this one doe. I'd post pics, but I want to wait until she looks better. Poor thing. We got a deal on her because the lady just wanted her gone. Honestly, I don't know what she was thinking when she got this goat. Nice lady though and Nigis are a better fit since she has a small plot of land. But this doe is thin and and not in good condition. She needs some love.

12. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Haha! Well I don't think your crazy! I just think your building your herd! :) But if it is considered crazy, then I'm on board too!
    Since April 25th, we've bought 6 goats!
    2 are mostly boer, and are my babies, love those girls soooo much! Then the goat I rescued from the auction, a week later we bought a buckling. And then Friday we bought 2 red boer does!
    I was having a lot of trouble finding more does. We wanted to start with 5 does and a buck. Well, finally I found an ad on craigslist, and made the call <after watching craigslist like crazy! and thinking I'd never find anything....>
    The people we bought the last two does from were selling off their herd except for their older girls that no longer breed <all their girls are loved like pets>. We almost brought 3 home! But we only have an SUV, and they had to ride in the very back <with me back there to keep them calm LOL>, so there wasn't room. Otherwise we would have brought the other one home.

So I understand about not finding anything, and then finding a bunch!

13. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i learned my lesson when i had a big herd.. too much money and time poured in and too much stress on my person.. so now i'm down to 7 currently ( 2 seniordoes, 2 yearlings, 2 doe kids, and a buck) and i'm hoping to get my angora wether soon. not planning on ever going over 12 head again.. takes all the fun outof it for me

14. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I really lucked out though. I got the one doe for $60 (papered), and I'm getting the other doe and buck (also papered) for $100 each.

15. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Lucky maybe isn't the word. She has wings! :angelgoat:
    She can clear a gate in one leap. The person I bought her from told me she could climb a 6 foot fence, but her fence was not goat proof.

No-climb fence - no problem. Wheee!

Here is the papered little angel I got for $60. LOL. Oh well. She's a sweetie, and seems to be used to tethering. So we will work something out for her.

[​IMG]
    She's in bad condition too, but I couldn't help myself. I guess I'm a sucker. But I couldn't leave her there, and she would have been goat meat. Somehow, I feel she deserves better. Even if this angel does have a devil tail.

:devilish:

16. pennylullabelle

She looks like she has a lot of potential! Congrats!

As for the jumping...I would recommend hot wire. If she is afraid enough of the fence she might leave it alone. You will have to get her to touch it though - if she just clears it without even knowing it will shock her it wont work! lol