The Goat Spot Forum banner

Do you disbud?

• Yes - and I can't stand it.

Votes: 15 29.4%
  • Yes - and I think it's fine.

Votes: 22 43.1%
  • No - I think it's cruel.

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • No - I think it's fine, I just don't want to.

Votes: 8 15.7%
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't disbud? I don't and will NEVER stick my babies under a hot iron, but I know others think completely differently. If I ever did it it would be paying my vet 70 bucks to put them under and disbud then. So, do you or don't you? For the ones who do, what makes you feel like this is okay.. or that you don't feel okay with it and do it anyway? And to those you don't, why don't you?

I'm not judging anyone! I'm just curious to what your views are. Please no arguments, Please.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
I think it's fine but I don't do it because when they scream (just from being in the box) it makes me feel HORRIBLE and all shaky. So I have someone else do it.
The person I have do it has been doing it for around 20+ years and she doesn't think it bothers them. She actually believes the horns coming through bother more than the disbudding.
She does give them a shot afterward that makes them loopy so they will be calm and not bump it though.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I agree with emilieanne. I have my vet do it, but its much less than $70 (it's $10 for me). She gives them a shot first that makes them drowsy then does it. They scream but it's because they are away from their mothers and I do it between 3-7 days old. At this time their nerves aren't completely developed so they don't feel it. At least, that's what I've been told. Once it's over my vet puts a powder over the areas (helps minimize pain and disinfect I believe) and wraps their heads with a loop of vet wrap to keep the powder in place. They get the vet wrap removed the next day and after the drugs wear off it's like nothing ever happened. I personally could never do it but I'm also very lucky to have a vet that can do it for me.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
Different breeds, circumstances and the will of a breeder, to want to disbud, that is their decision. One situation is, they are around small children or have other concerns.

I will say, I do not disbud, I think it is a bit harsh, however, I do respect those that do, if done correctly.

I like boers with horns, look better, show better.

You can catch Does easier and hold them for simple things you have to do and horns are a radiator, it keeps them cooler in the summer, warmer in the winter.

You cannot bring a disbudded goat in a herd of horned goats, the battles will be bad and may cause damage.

·
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, it just bothers me when people say, "it doesn't hurt them that much". I mean, how can you tell? Do they just say things like that? The reason people don't do it, I think is mostly because people KNOW it hurts them. I just couldn't do it...

And about the nerve thing, if you cut a baby goats ear off, does it not hurt because their nerves aren't developed? I don't know... it just bothers me...

BUT again, I won't start an argument!

·
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Different breeds, circumstances and the will of a breeder, to want to disbud, that is their decision. One situation is, they are around small children or have other concerns.

I will say, I do not disbud, I think it is a bit harsh, however, I do respect those that do, if done correctly.

I like boers with horns, look better, show better.

You can catch Does easier and hold them for simple things you have to do and horns are a radiator, it keeps them cooler in the summer, warmer in the winter.

You cannot bring a disbudded goat in a herd of horned goats, the battles will be bad and may cause damage.
Well, but I have had my horned doe and buc with many disbudded goats... they haven't caused damage. My doe doesn't even pick fights.

I agree with almost everything you said though. I feel like taking their horns away is rude in a way that they are more vulnerable to things. And a goat's horns tells a lot about that goat's history.

I think every breed except for lamanchas look good with horns..

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Well, (and I mean this in a curious way)

Some people can tell when an animal is distressed and in pain, other can not. I can personally. Or at least I believe most of the time I can.
If you ask how can we tell they aren't In pain, how can you tell they are?
They're away from moma, away from all the other goats, and they're seeing new things.
It's very different to them. There are a lot of factors.
I understand where you're coming from but it's better then banding the horns when they're older, IMO.
They're just like humans. The younger, the less they understand.
:)

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I have never liked disbudding, and I actually prefer goats with horns, for their sake as well as mine, but I have come to admit that disbudded goats are much safer to be around, especially for children.I think goats without horns, (especially Nigerians) look a bit off and weird not having them. I mean, once you see how natural and regal they look with horns, you can never look a at a disbudded goat again without noticing a lack of something. At least I can't.
But horns are a big danger- not because the animal will try to harm you, but because accidents can and will happen. I have a scar right under my eye where a goat accidentally jabbed me once. If it had been a little higher, it could've put my eye out, and it was totally unintentional!
So I think it's a good thing to disbud, especially dairy animals, if you're going to be handling them a lot and if you have children.
And we have our vet do it as well; they did a great job, giving the babies a tetanus and pain killer shot first. The babies only scream out of fear, I believe, not pain while its being done.
The next day their heads hurt, but only for a day, then they are back to normal, jumping and playing. They are so young when it's done, I don't think they remember it at all after a day or two.
Whoa, sorry to have written so much, but that's how I feel. :)

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
We disbud our own goats, it's horrible they scream and some of them thrash in the box. We started doing it ourselves because when we had the vet do it and they were put under, well they never did well after that. It took them a while to recover. Disbudding ourselves, it's painful for about 10 seconds and then fades and before long they forget and bounce around and are all over you again. I hate hearing them scream in pain it makes me feel bad for them but they really don't remember it or hurt for that long.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I would like it if the poll had another option: Yes, but I don't like it. :) It's probably too late to do it now, but non of the others are really how I feel. Just saying.

·
Registered
203 Posts
For me, since I raise dairy goats, I have to have them disbudded and prefer it for my situation. I don't have any issues with anyone else having them, it's just my preference and what works best for me. I agree, especially for the Boers, that horns look really nice. It's just for my situation, it doesn't work.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
we disbud because they have to be in order to show. our first goats were/are not disbudded and really i feel that it is safer to have them disbudded for all involved. our vet knocks them out completely and disbuds and gives them their first shots. when they come to they seem fine. but the vet leaves some pain pills for them but we rarely need them.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
We have ours disbudded by vet he puts them to sleep but it is cheap $10 a goat I prefer horns all my bucks have horns but I am always black n blue on the legs from them accidentally hitting me as they are passing by me or while I am feeding so I agree with disbudding because accidents happen but I don't like it

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Well we have dairy goats and really need to disbud. Especially if anyone wants to show one of our offsprings. Way back when I had some pygmy's they had horns and kept getting caught on everything around the farm. I found them in all types/styles of fences (goat/cattle/field and even single slick wire horse type). It was not fair to come home to find them stuck in fencing or worse I even finally tried the piece across the two horns to keep them out of fences and had one some how get stuck standing up on a tree branch between the horns and end piece (special little goat, he was the one that would do a hand stand when I trimmed his hind feet).

Now I have always used a vet that I use to work with years ago and she is great at disbudding. We first gas them, give them banamine, burn and they never act like anything ever happened. We had just a couple start getting scurs (they had thinner skulls when we went to burn so she went lite), one we reburned two weeks later (did just fine) and the other we didn't reburn and his new owners were fine with that since he had already been sold when they started to form. I have no problem with disbudding if it is done right but I do not like to see (please do not take this the wrong way but there is a story to follow this statement) people trying to save a $ and having no experience disbudding their own especially with a hot iron. One individual thought it was too expensive and wanted to do their own. . . well they nearly killed one kid trying to do it from what they had seen others do. Well it ended up costing more for them to save the kid and the cost of the supplies then just having the vet do it. Now with that said I have no issue with people doing it that have learned how to do it without harming the kid. I had considered doing my own but the hubby would not be much help and I prefer the initial gas to knock the kids out. One day I will have to finally start doing it since I know my vet will not be around forever and not all vets are trained on how to correctly disbud kids. When that day does come I will be sure to have her show me exactly how to do it the correct way with hands on training.

My hubby actually likes the way goats look with horns but for our breed, discipline and safety it does not work into our current herd to leave the horns at this time.

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
I disbud. I don't like doing it, but it's part of raising the type of goats I choose to raise. It's not a painless procedure, but it's over with quickly and they generally don't show any signs of pain once put back with their dams. The pros outweight the cons when it comes to disbudding my kids. If I could keep them all from having to go through the disbudding, tattooing, vaccinating, castrating, etc. then I would, but these are all things that will benefit the kids in the long run.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I think goats are just meant to live in the wild where their horns are for a reason- like protecting themselves. And since we have them in captivity, the horns are not needed anymore. :shrug:

I will say our vet had not done goats before, (though I think they do calves all the time) but they did a great job. Out of six kids this year only a couple got little tiny scurs, nothing much, and one was a buck, and they're harder to do, I believe.

·
1,524 Posts
I disbud for safety reasons. I have seen too many goats injured from horns, both others from being gored and horned ones from getting their heads stuck and breaking their necks. My friend lost her $5000.00 buck when his horns prevented him from getting his head unstuck from the V in a tree. He fought until he snapped his neck.

A neighbor called me one day to come help with her doe. The doe had her udder ripped open by another does horns. A really nice milker was destroyed because of that. The udder was damaged beyond repair.

I also have seen people impaled by their darling goats horns, totally accidentally, but painful and potential very dangerous just the same. Human kids are right at eye level to most goats horns. Would you want to be responsible for your child, or someone elses being blinded for life?

I have a scar on my thigh from my one and only dairy goat with horns. She jumped off the milk stand and her horn went through my thigh muscle and knicked the bone. Total accident but very painful for several days.

I have seen just as many horned goats killed by predators, so I don't buy into the protection arguement.

Horned dairy goats cannot be shown.

In alot of areas, leaving horns on a goat is a sure way of having that goat end up in an auction if they cannot be kept any more.

Insurance companies are refusing coverage, or raising the premiums due to horned animals.

I have read many posts about horned goats breaking their horn and suffering weeks of pain and bleeding, even the chance of bleeding to death.

10 seconds of the iron, most of which they don't feel because the nerves are killed, is a small price to pay for their own safety and the safety of others.

Plus, I don't think domestic dairy goats look good with horns. A nice clean head makes for a very pretty profile.

I also don't believe in using horns to handle a goat. They don't like it. I can handle mine just fine without horns, even the boers I used to have that were disbudded.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I like disbudding, and do not mind doing it, but I understand those who do not like to do it themselves, or don't like having it done at all. Whatever you are comfortable with and is right for your goats and your situation.

I prefer disbudded goats, though, just to eliminate any harm that could come to the other goats or to me from being around a horned goat. Especially when handling big bucks in rut I feel a lot more comfortable if I have one less thing to worry about on them. And with dairy goats I personally feel it is easier, because they won't get their heads caught in the milking stanchions as easily. I've also had to deal with enough trouble with goats getting their heads caught in fences, and they didn't even have horns so I can't imagine how much harder it would have been to free them if they had been horned.

However, the only way that I do like dehorning is the hot iron. If done right I feel that it is only painful on them for a short amount of time, and there is little worry of harming them aside from a slight burn. I had to help dehorn a calf once using a scoop dehorner and that just seemed really terrible, cause we ended up having to cauterize an artery and everything. And in those circumstances it leaves a path open to the sinuses, and that seems too risky (and gross). Hopefully I'll never have to do that again. And I don't know how I feel about dehorning with bands. It seems to me like it also has a high risk of infection.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I was a big time pro horns at first, I liked the idea that they had something to defend them selfs with and I really didnt want to put them under the disbudding. But after bruises all over my legs, getting heads out of fences, dealing with legs of kids being stuck between horns, and the biggest breaking point of changing my mind was when a prego doe got her head stuck then another doe hit her and she aborted. The first time I disbudded, it sucked, I cryed right with them, but the vet way was a no go since I had 115 kids last year. So as much as I dont like it I still think its worth it in the end.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
I disbud them, I don't mind, they scream just as much with tattooing, surgical castration, etc. Yeah it does hurt them, but I feel its necessary, and it has to be done with my dairy kids. I personally do not like horns on goats, some boers being the exception. I disbud my calves too.

Some people say that after a few seconds they do not feel it because the 1000° iron destroys the nerves, but I disagree, they can feel it the entire time.

I don't mind disbudding, it's just one more thing that has to be done. I don't use a box either, I just hold their head to my leg and do it.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts