The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been feeding my boys grain since they have been weaned and haven't thought anything bad could happen from feeding it. I just had a terrifying experience a few minutes ago. Billy got choked on the pellets. He ran from his feed pan and u could tell he was choking. He tried to get it out of his throat but couldn't. He started peeing and running and then started foaming from his mouth. I called the folks i got them from in a panic. They told me to pat him on the back like i was trying to burp him. And to pick him up and shake him. When i did pick him up he went limp. Scared the snot out of me. He finally started breathing after he spit up the second round of foam. But I'm definatly done with grain!

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Oh wow!! I'm glad he's going to be okay. I've always fed grain, no worries, but now I'm wondering. Will you just feed hay them and loose minerals...? The way they scarf it no wonder they can choke...

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
How terrifying, glad all ended up OK. :eek:

You could feed less grain at a time, so that doesn't happen.

Separate each goat at feeding grain time, so they don't gobble it up to fast, competing for it.
Thinking it will be taken from them.

A clean big rock or big rocks(big enough so they won't eat it) in the way, can also slow them down a bit.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Poor thing. Glad he's ok. You can always put large rocks and object they have to eat around in their feed pan to slow them down while eating..

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
How terrifying, glad all ended up OK. :eek:

You could feed less grain at a time, so that doesn't happen.

Separate each goat at feeding grain time, so they don't gobble it up to fast, competing for it.
Thinking it will be taken from them.

A clean big rock or big rocks(big enough so they won't eat it) in the way, can also slow them down a bit.
Beat me to the rock thing :)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I might try the rocks since i have 50# of feed left. But yeah I'm feeding hedge for now. They dont like hay that well. And i have loose mineral and a mineral rock in with them. Do u think its because they are pygmys or do all goats choke sometimes?

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
just be there in case he needs another pat : ) he might have learned his lesson...it is scary..

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I had that this winter too!!!! He was my best bucking and almost gave me a heart attack. Mine was because I ran out of grain for a day so they were pigs when I fed. I now make sure their creep feeder is full all the time!!! If you have them on a measured amount you want to feed the rocks sound like a good idea. And if it makes you feel any better out of the 100s of kids I have only one has done it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Both of them have choked but this time was the worst. Thanks everyone for ur ideas to help & concern. U are all awesome!

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,084 Posts
Scary! Boys usually don't need grain -- just good grass/alfalfa hay, or grass and alfalfa pellets is what I do. Some people feed their bucks grain in rut as they loose weight during rut. My pet wethers don't get it.

Scary, scary experience! :(

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
My doe will sometimes choke on grain and she tries to swallow whole pear cores. Its a goat thing... they get excited about feed. I keep a schedule and when I feed her alfalfa pellets too it doesn't happen. I agree with the rock thing though. I've done it before and it works.

·
11,084 Posts
I've had a kid eat alfalfa pellets too fast, but nothing bad.

If they don't like the hay I'd consider getting a different kind -- it's very important to them. :)

·
Love them goats!
1,061 Posts
That is scary...I'm glad he's okay!
Nothing like trying to round up a freaked out goat, right? ;)

I think most goats are little piggies, at least my three are...they get orchard grass pellets and scarf those things down like it's their last meal...ever!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Only thing i can find in pellet form around here is alfalfa/timothy & beet pulp. And should the urinary caculi danger be gone? I have heard alfalfa can cause that. They are 6 months old today.

·
11,084 Posts
The alfalfa causing stones is mainly a myth. You want a 2:1 or 3:1 calcium/phosphorus ratio. The perfect mix is Alfalfa/grass hay. Pure alfalfa hay is 5:1 calcium phosphorus, so a bit high on the calcium side. But a little bit of alfalfa pellets, or alfalfa hay balanced by say, a flake of Timothy here and there, actually protects them from phosphorus stones.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Alfalfa/timothy cubes should be perfect :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts