I'm Done.

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Duchesse, May 10, 2020.

1. Duchesse

Duchesse Active Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Roxboro,NC
    I am DONE. Winky, my 3 month old doe died. It is time for me to face some HARSH realities. I am not able to do this anymore. Winky's death speaks to MY management. I thought I only needed help from my husband but, in reality he's getting help from me.He already has his hands full. We also raise toy poodles. I have 7 dogs. We are both up in age me 57yo with a heart condition and him 66yo with hypertension (high blood pressure). So I now see that we are not able and most of the work was falling on him and these are my goats.

SO, I've decided to disperse my whole herd. It's only 6 goats now. 4 does, 1 buck, and 1 wether. I've decided to do this for them. Obviously something is very wrong. I've lost 4 goats in less than 6 months. First JoJo died. Hannah lost a buckling because she was too young to get pregnant. Bonnie had two kids and the buck died within 24 hours. I bottle fed Winky for 10 weeks and now she's gone. Again this speaks to MY management. So it is time to seek a good home for them.

I hope that no one judges me to harshly.:imsorry: I really did try. I feel absolutely terrible.:upset: I want to :hide: I'm (embarrassed). I thought I could handle this but I'm not able anymore. I :inlove: my animals to much to see them suffer. This is the right thing to do.:nod:

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I give you credit for being honest with yourself. Don't feel bad. We have all taken up something and realized we really can't do it. Good luck with getting your herd sold.

3. CaramelKittey

CaramelKittey Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear that. It has happened to all of us, and sometimes there just isn't much we can do. I hope you find great homes for your goats.
    @Sfgwife Are you out in that area? :D
    Do you know anybody? :)

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so sorry, sometimes it doesn't go well with any kind of livestock.

All of us experience things like this, some hold on and try again, then succeed.

It is tough losing them, I know how you feel. :(

5. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    Its good that you are taking responsibility for this. So many animals suffer at the hands of people who are ignorant.
    Good luck

6. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Awe..im sorry you lost Winky. Raising goats is not easy. Loss is so hard. With so much already going on..youbare making a decision beat for you and your husband and your goats. No harsh judgment here..i commend you for doing what is best for all.

Best wishes

7. K Brooke

K Brooke Active Member

May 9, 2018
    I’m so sorry for your struggles! It’s definitely frustrating when you feel like nothing is going right and you can’t figure out why. I just sold almost all of my herd due to severe worm issues. I just couldn’t get my goats to be as healthy as I wanted them so I sold over half and only have three left. It difficult but I think it’s very wise. :hug:
    Maybe you can take a break for now and get just a few in the future. This a great place to gain lots of knowledge!

8. R.Williamson

R.Williamson Active Member

Mar 21, 2019
    South Carolina
    Actually, I give you mad credit for stepping away. Far too often people refuse to see that they are not capable. Not a judgement against them just facts. I know I only have so many years left to b working with my goats before I am unable to. It speaks to you as a person for being willing to step back and move them to a new home.It's never an easy decision.

9. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

I do not know anyone looking for a herd right now. :/.

10. Davi

Davi Member

Apr 9, 2019
    Canada
    Its a good thing to admit when you cant manage something and to cut back. Running yourself into the ground isn't good for anyone. Give your goats lots of cuddles and wish them the best, I hope with less stress you find your life happier and healthier!

11. Duchesse

Duchesse Active Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Roxboro,NC
    :wow: :ty::bighug: That's why I love TGS. I was worried that I'd be seen in a bad light but everyone has been supportive. Now I have to get busy finding them a good home.:coolmoves:

I'll keep you posted.

12. CaramelKittey

CaramelKittey Well-Known Member

:hug:

Makenna and MadHouse like this.
  13. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Duchesse. No judgement from any one. If they do judge they dont belong here. You must do what is best for your herd and for you. I am sorry you had these losses and I am sorry things have been so difficult. Your herd will be fine. You know who you want to take them. Love from this side of the world.

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  15. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    It's a wise person that knows their own limitations. No one has the right to judge you, especially when you are doing the best you can. I'm sure it will be a feeling of relief (and sadness, too) to find good homes for your herd. Best wishes for all good things to come your way!

16. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

I agree with everyone and think TGS is a very special group of people. Kind and supportive!
    :bighug:
    Good luck selling the herd!

17. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    No I agree with the others, it takes a strong person to look past their love and want of animals and look at what is best for them instead. That is a SUPER tough call. Also sadly we don’t know when we are at our limit until we end up in shoes like yours or just about kill our selfs before we realize it’s just not going ok any more.
    I am so very sorry you have had all this on your plate, and I’m also sorry you have had to make this tough call.

18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  19. Duchesse

Duchesse Active Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Roxboro,NC
    :update: I found someone who is interested in buying my herd but now I'm having second thoughts (headsmash). I still have some time to think about it. I'm confused:shrug:. One minute I think it's the right thing to do and the next I remember how long it took to get them. How I carefully picked them. I have to(pray) on this. My sister said don't sell them. My husband says it's up to me. I think secretly he would be happy to see them go.

I just wish I knew what went wrong.:omg: What did I do?:oops2: Should I have given dewormer when she had those soft stools. I ascribe to the natural methods so pumpkins seeds was all she had been given in her morning grain. I didn't get the herbs or EO for deworming:bonk:. I also don't think we changed their bedding often enough. Also I don't think I kept things clean enough. Some folks clean up the poop. We didn't. We covered it with wood shavings and periodically used barn lime. Could that be it? I feel like a failure:(.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    Makenna and CaramelKittey like this.
  20. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    This is something that only you can figure out :hugs: I have to tell you though I have KINDA been in your shoes. I’ve had gotten to the point I just couldn’t have as many head as I did. I didn’t have to sell every single on and I didn’t want to I just needed less and had to make some VERY hard choices. Every time I wrote a name down I would cross it off, I would add it again or replace with someone else. Finally I had to just look at it as what was best for them and me. Hanging onto the ones that were not pulling their weight like the others just had to go. A lot of them were pets but it wasn’t fair to any of us. I can tell you loading them in the trailer just about made me sick. I almost opened the gate and turned them back out. I didn’t, I went threw with it and it really wasn’t that long until it was like this giant weight had been lifted off my chest. I had more time to keep up on the others, no one was being even semi neglected, I could really keep a eye on everything and not have something sneak up.
    I’m not trying to talk you into selling. Like I said only you know what is up and what you can and can’t handle, I’m just telling you that I know what your looking at and feeling. If you choose to go threw with it, it does get better :hugs:

Makenna, GoofyGoat, J4Julz and 5 others like this.