I'm Done.

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Duchesse, May 10, 2020.

1. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  2. Duchesse

Duchesse Active Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Roxboro,NC
    :update:
    :ty: (grouphug) I get it. I know that selling the herd is best for all involved. I didn't tell everyone that I also have limited use of one of my arms( a chronic muscle strain). I bit off more than I could chew.:hubbahubba:
    I was trying to fulfill my bucket list since I had a massive heart attack. I felt like :dreams:. I've always been like that. :imsorry: I shouldn't have done that. I created a mess.(headsmash) I feel terrible:upset: Thanks for listening and all your input. I needed this support.:(

I hope you don't get tired of me. I might need to vent until they are picked up. I might also still need some advice. I don't want to lose another goat:omg:.:imok:

MadHouse and CaramelKittey like this.

3. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Duchesse, you are not judged nor a person this forum will be tired of. I asked silly questions all the time. Keep on it. Dont worry too much.

4. CaramelKittey

CaramelKittey Well-Known Member

x2
    I ask ridiculous questions on a daily basis. We all are/were beginners. ;)

MadHouse likes this.
  5. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    No way! This would be the HARDEST thing for any of us to have to do! So we totally get it.

CaramelKittey and MadHouse like this.
  6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    We all understand, believe me.
    No worries. :hug:

7. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Did the potential buyer come see the herd yet?

CaramelKittey likes this.
  8. Duchesse

Duchesse Active Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Roxboro,NC
    No she hasn't but we have sent her pics. I'm computer illiterate so I can't post pics without help. I have a beautiful herd.

9. K's boys

K's boys Member

May 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    I'm so sorry to read that you lost your baby, (hugs) no one can know the pain you're going through unless they've walked in your shoes, please dont think that anyone will be judging you as you need to do what's best for you! As a newbie (soon to get my wethers) I've learned a lot of information from this site and I'm hoping that you as an experienced goat owner would apply your knowledge and advice when you feel up to it.

MadHouse likes this.
  10. Duchesse

Duchesse Active Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Roxboro,NC

:rolleyes: It seems I'm not done yet. After doing some :reading: some(punch) and some soul searching. Hubby and I have decided to keep our herd.:nod: We worked too hard to get them.

What I did do was, I've stepped up my game. My goats are in confinement which poses a special challenge other than just feeding. :upset: Cleanliness is extremely important. Also keeping them out of that hay feeder ( this is what I believe killed my baby Winky.)

For the two ( Hershey and her 5 week old doeling Glee) in a (5ft x 15ft dog kennel with a large dog house for shelter) I change their ACV and water 2x a day, I clean the stall daily. (shy) I also intend to sell Glee when she is weaned.

For the four in the large enclosed pen( 11ft x 25ft), weekly cleaning (removal of poop:omg:), barn lime, and shavings. Also ACV in water twice a day.

I feed Purina goat feed mixed with alfalfa pellets, BOSS, fresh garlic and pumpkin seeds. I also give Hay and minerals free choice.

Keeping goats in confinement is a special challenge.:upset: We are hoping to expand but until then, are there any more suggestions?:shrug:

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    MadHouse and Iluvlilly! like this.
  11. 21goaties

21goaties Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    Can you post pics of your setup?

12. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Yes, we can help you make the most of your setup, if we see what we are working with :)

GoofyGoat likes this.
  13. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    How long have they been living in those enclosures and how much longer will it take to expand? That is very limited space for goats to live.

ACV is a lovely but it's not going to solve any health issues.

goatblessings, Sfgwife and Iluvlilly! like this.
  14. Duchesse

Duchesse Active Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Roxboro,NC
    They have been living in these fenced enclosures for a year. I'm going to get my son to help me get some pics on.

ACV helps them to drink more water. The ACV also helps deter bugs and bacteria in the water. I change the water 2x a day for cleanliness. ACV also helps prevent urinary calculi (kidney stones) in the male. All of which I think will help with health.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  15. Duchesse

Duchesse Active Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Roxboro,NC
    This happens the minute that I decided to keep them, (embarrassed) , Yup.:nod: So what am I going to do?:shrug:

I'm going through with the sale.:nod: I :inlove: them too much to not give them this chance at a good life. This is the right thing to do. (dance)

The buyers were looking for a small herd. They have 3 acres and two young children. They sent pics of the barn/shelter and the pasture. They're purchasing all six goats, the two stanchions and some other supplies. This is hard :upset: but necessary. :imsorry:Things didn't work out. I guess it's not in the cards for me. Granny has to stf down now.(rofl)
    :heehee:
    At least I did :dreams: That's :usa2:.

They'll be picking them up on Saturday morning. I'll keep you posted.:neat:

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    Iluvlilly! and MadHouse like this.
  16. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Really a good choice for you and your herd. Even though its hard,,,, probably the best thing for you and them.

MadHouse likes this.
  17. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Congrats on finding them a great home!

It would be very difficult to maintain the setup you described having, so it sounds like you’re making the best choice.

MadHouse likes this.
  18. 21goaties

21goaties Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    Sounds like a good home, glad they get a pasture! Tell the buyers to join The Goat Spot! ;) :) Did they say if they've had goats before?

MadHouse and Nigerian dwarf goat like this.
  19. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

That is great that they are going to a good home. You can feel good about it. You have to be honest with yourself and do what is best for you and the goats.

Sfgwife and MadHouse like this.
  20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California