I'm dumb! Question about milking.

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Katemary63, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Katemary63

Katemary63 New Member

Nov 30, 2010
    I just weaned a nubian doe (first freshener) of her 4 mos. old doeling about two weeks ago. Now I realize that I've got a Boer goat about to have twins (due jan 5th) with only 1 teat (one side was injured on a fence and is dead). I could have continued to milk my dairy doe and frozen it for the soon to be bottle baby but now she is mostly dry. Can I milk her out twice a day and bring her milk back? I milked her last night for the first time and got about 2 cups but this morning there was only a couple of tablespoons and tonight also. I am not experienced with dairy goats at all but can hand milk okay. She had almost nothing. What should I do? Thanks!

2. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Im not a dairy person either but I bet as you continue to grain & milk her she just might come back with the groceries.
    Are you planning for colostrum for your Boer kids? You might want to milk her out a few days so all kids get their fair share of that liquid gold.
    Just tossing out ideas here.

3. Katemary63

Katemary63 New Member

Nov 30, 2010
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes.... she should come back with milk...if you are still getting some out... if you grain her up and give good Alfalfa...or good quality hay..... she should start back... be careful ..not to give to much ...if she isn't use to it.. can start scours.... Of course..... she won't have colostrum for the new kids...on the way.....as she is way past that point ...so... you will have to make sure ...the kids get the colostrum ...hopefully from mom..... :hug:

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It really depends on the doe, if it's been 2 weeks since she had any milk taken from her, wether it be by you or her kid, what you did get when you stripped her out was old milk...If you can get her up on the stand a few times a day with grain, she may come back into milk. It may not be quarts at first but you may be able to get enough from her to freeze for use on the Boer kids.

6. Katemary63

Katemary63 New Member

Nov 30, 2010
    Thank you all. We're gonna try for a week and see if her supply increases. If not, then it was my costly mistake. I just wasn't thinking ahead. The Boer doe will do fine with one kid, but I'll have to take one away from her (after it gets colostrum). Gosh, I hope she doesn't have triplets. Here she is on my blog (Thacia). Due in Jan. But then, she always has a huge belly, if when she's not preggo.

http://harmonpfarms.blogspot.com/2010/1 ... mamas.html