im getting my new buck soon....some ?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by goattee22, Jul 6, 2010.

1. goattee22

goattee22 New Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Dayton, TX
    I purchased a buck and will be picking him up in the next few weeks. I built him his own pen but I had to till it up and reseed it. So there isn't much grass in there and it wont be fully grown in by the time I get him. I don't want to risk having UC problem.

So what should I feed him?
    I read in another post about vitamin c...where do I get that and how much do I feed?

I currently have 2 wethers that will be with him...and I've never penned them...they roam around and browse...I do not feed them anything and have never had a problem but while penned with the Buck they will also need something to make up for the lack of grass until it grows...should bucks and wethers be fed differently?

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I guess it depends on the lines..I have 2 bucks and a wether...who was a buck until just a few months ago, I've always fed them the same hay and grain my does get. They do have free choice minerals with ammonium chloride to acidify the urine.

3. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I've always fed my bucks either good grass hay, or free browse, and little else. They've all done well on it

4. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    my bucks get the same as the does... never had an issue in 7 years. Alfalfa and occasionally rye hay... and when its cold/rut grain with very limited corn

5. goattee22

goattee22 New Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Dayton, TX
    alrighty, thanks! just dont wunna cause anything that can be prevented. i dont feed anything with corn in it, so i dont have to worry with that. is the ammonium cloride IN the minerals? or you add it the minerals?