I'm getting paranoid.....

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by billmac, Feb 18, 2011.

1. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    This has not been a great winter for our animals. We had a sick boer doeling (I posted about her). Temp, pain, losing flesh. 2 rounds of strong antibiotic seems to have turned her around. About two weeks ago, her sister, healthy, beautiful, died of bloat (or something like it). She was fine one minute, and dead ten minutes later.

We have a lamb on her 3rd round of strong antibiotics who can't shake a chest infection. She is fine while on the meds, and relapses as soon as she is off.

Two days ago I noticed one of our pygmys coughing and breathing a bit hard. Temp 104. He is on his third day of Pen Aqueous (which our vet says is basically useless). His temp is down but still respiratory problems.

Last evening I noticed our boer doe (mother to the two in the first paragraph) grunts softly when she breathes. Otherwise she seems perfectly fine. Under normal circumstances I might not have even noticed, but after this winter my senses are on high alert. I'll keep an eye on her, but good grief!

2. jodief100

jodief100 New Member

Jan 15, 2011
    I have one who grunts when she sleeps. She is a healthy, fat doe who has never given me any trouble. I think she is snoring.

Sorry for you trouble. Sounds like a BAD winter. :hug:

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh wow... :( that is terrible....I am sorry about everyone being ill....
    Next time a goat gets sick... have your vet give you Nuflor... it does wonders.....

it is OK to worry in your situation... I'd be watching closely too.... :hug:

Doe's do grunt...that is normal.... :wink:

4. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

My fatty goat grunts alot, its pretty normal

Im in the SAME boat as you, ive been so paranoid since last september, had one baby die and 3 got super sick.

It gets easier, it seems like winter is the worst, once spring comes everyone gets stronger, and healthy.

Im sorry for your losses, it happens to us all :sigh:

5. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    I second Toth Nuflor is a Life Saver when they have a respiratory infection, just ask my Calf Maynard, if I hadn't had the Nuflor for the Goats because of Pneumonia going through our herd in Nov/Dec He would be dead, I had already done one round of Pen G on him and he had got better but only for about a week then I found him one morning on Deaths door step gave him Nuflor and CM PK, Honey, and Vitamin-B, I swear it saved his little Hide and mine, cause I would have been in TROUBLE if he hadn't made it! It has also saved some of my goats, as they had walking Pneumonia, with no signs besides and slight cough and runny nose.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Bobbi Jo...that is so true ..."Life saver...I really believe in this stuff as well.... :hi5: :thumb:

7. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    I checked, and Nuflor is what the goats have been getting. The vet said nuflor has been his miracle drug for small ruminants this winter. The grunting doe started coughing and shivering yesterday so the vet made yet another visit. He said her lungs didn't sound great, but that she did not have a fever, so he didn't go the nuflor route but rather gave her tetracycline.

The pygmy seems a bit improved today and the boer doe seems ok, except she has her face right up to a heat lamp, soaking up the heat.