I'm hooked, and planning for next year already - more Qs

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by fruittartcaprines, Mar 8, 2010.

1. fruittartcaprines

fruittartcaprines New Member

Mar 3, 2010
    So, I now have 5 goats, Pineapple (Alpine) and her two kids - Apple (doeling) and Banana (buckling), Babette (Alpine) and Esmerelda (looks to be Boer). I'm going to visit a breeder friend of mine this week and potentially pick out an Alpine/Oberhasli cross or a Nubian baby. She has both bucks and does available.

Obviously, if I keep Banana a buck (and keep him) he shouldn't be bred to Apple or Pineapple. But he could be bred to Babette and Esmerelda in the fall. But then would I have to sell him off next year because everyone will be related to him? Although, I guess if I got a buckling from my breeder friend, I could cross him on Pineapple and Apple, and then I would have two different "lines" going on at my house?

How long do people keep their herdsires? Should I get a doeling or a buckling from my breeder friend? Or both? Sell Banana? Keep Banana? He's looking rather nice, and Pineapple seems to have a nice udder and I just love her temperament.

This is all so confusing!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I assume you arent doing registered? whats the market like in your area for mix breeds?

When I had mix breed unregistered I did pretty good. But some dont do as well. So just throwing that out there.

Also full grown bucks can be hard to sell. But if you plan on keeping Babette and Esmerelda for a while you will always have them to breed him to. Plus a buddy for the new buck you will purchase.

3. fruittartcaprines

fruittartcaprines New Member

Mar 3, 2010
    Our area seems pretty good for goats, mixed and registered alike.

So far, Banana is turning out really nicely - of course, who can tell until he gets bigger, but as far as i can tell, he's nicely put together. I adore his dam's temperament and I'm pretty sure he'll take after her too!

So, maybe I should buy a doeling AND a buckling from my friend...that would work *snicker*