I'm in this thing alone..

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Kittikity, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Kittikity

Kittikity New Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Yesterday we went to Lowes for a mower spark plug and air filter.. I was also looking for the little rings you use for building cages.. We (and I stress we) were looking all over the place for them, asking people for the rings that you use to build cages, he was even telling the people this.. We didn't find any so he found some small pull ties I could use.. Then... Then he asks me what I'm making the cages for.. I'd told him months ago that somebody was bringing me rabbits.. "You're making cages for rabbits?!" For a second I just stood there with my mouth open..

Then we got to leave and he asks if there's anything else I needed.. I say yeah, I need some wire that I had pointed out earlier.. So we go out to the garden area and I point out the one I need.. He asks how much it is and I point out the price.." $30?! Do you really need that now?" Which no, I don't need it immediately but the fact that he is having a fit over $30 ----es me off since its quite fine to use my credit card for breakfast and spend $50.. I mean, I know money is really tight, but I can't get a small farm started without some initial investment..

By the way, the wire is 50' to fence off a small area for some goats I'm going to be getting in possibly mid September.. One reason I'm waiting until mid September is because it will be after his parents visit.. They don't think I need a farm either.. (But I can't really say anything too bad about them because they help us a lot and even bought out our mortgage..) I once told my mom I wanted to get goats and rabbits for meat and milk.. "Why can't you just go to the store?" is the response I get..

I've thought about giving up on the whole thing because its become such a fight.. My husband even liked the idea of the farm until his parents said something about it.. But its a good thing that I'm a very stubborn person.. I'm not giving up.. The only way to show them I can do this and show them the benefits is to actually do it and prove them all wrong..

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Just take a deep breath and know that you are trying to do what you can with what you have. My hubby and I go through this EVER time it is time to purchase hay. Yet he is the one that told me to get my horses and HE wanted the entire herd of sheep for meat (we got in May and he is YET to butcher the male!!). And now he is looking at more sheep!

Just start out REAL small. Maybe 2 goats and a breeding pair of rabbits. That way it is not to costly and the benefits are still there. Just IMO

3. Kittikity

Kittikity New Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Well, I'm actually starting with three of each.. Three doe goats, one mainly for milk and two nubians to start my kinder herd.. The main reason I'm getting three instead of two is because the two nubian does are close buddies and the breeder wanted them to go as a pair.. I've almost got them paid for, just need to make their pen now before I bring them home.. The rabbits I'm getting a trio of American chinchillas which are fairly rare.. But I'm getting a really good price for them.. They will be mostly for meat, but also because I want to help promote a heritage breed..

4. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I can't say anything towards the main issue of your problem with going it alone. Does that mean you need to butcher the rabbits yourself? But if you are talking those plastice ties like are used for bundling car wires, the rabbits stand a good chance of chewing through them.

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Sounds like you are doing everything correct and not starting out way overboard. Just take it slow (need to heed my own advice) and you will be fine!

6. Kittikity

Kittikity New Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Yes, I will be butchering my own rabbits, chickens, and any of the goats that will be used for meat.. Kinders are, after all, a dairy and meat breed.. But that I'm fine with doing myself.. My husband wouldn't be able to do it.. He's too much of a softy in that area.. I just wish his support of my farming desires hadn't flown out the window.. And yes, I figured the rabbits might chew through the pull ties.. But this will have to do for now.. I'm also hoping since they're really small it will be harder for them to get a hold of them.. They were only a dollar something for a package of a hundred so it won't be hard to replace them.. I'm not expecting the rabbits until October anyway so hopefully I'll have the proper rings by then.. I plan on checking our local ace hardware next..

7. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    good luck and God Bless

i use the "zip strips" on some of myhutches
    they work fine
    pull them tight enough and the rabbits can't get to them

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Good luck in your endeavors...hubby will come around once you have the majority of the "work" done....as to the cage connectors, you can get a package of the metal crimper pieces to make corners and such at Tractor Supply...they have them in the rabbit aisle.