I'm interested in selling milk

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by sarahsboergoats, Jul 12, 2009.

1. sarahsboergoats

sarahsboergoats New Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Illinois
    Hi
    I'm interested in selling milk. I was wondering where you find a market for something like that and how you price it. And what the requirements are.
    Thanks.
    Sarah

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    First you would need to look into your states laws on selling raw milk.....even if you use a pastuerizer, it would still be considered raw unless it comes from a state certified dairy.

I personally take "deposits" on bottles in order to get something back for the "pet" food that goes in them :wink:

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    In Illinois the law states that the buyer must come to the farm and that the buyer must bring their own container. As for a market, if you live near a large city then you'll have a market. As for advertising, you cannot legally advertise in Illinois, but I have an ad on http://www.realmilk.com that says i have goats and they give milk, but I don't say that I have milk for sale :) We charge $10 a gallon.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Much easier for Illinois than here in PA :thumbup:

I cannot legally sell milk or even advertize....but word of mouth gets around :wink:

5. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I am in the same boat as liz. Michigan has some of the strictest regulations on raw milk. Here, raw milk can't be bought, sold, advertised, or anything. The only way to obtain it legally is to get it from your own animals...hence the "animal shares" arrangements that have been developed. People that want raw milk buy "shares" of animals so that they technically own part of the animal and can, therefore, drink raw milk from it even if they don't keep the animal on their property.

6. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i sell raw milk for crafts and pet use only for 10 bucks a gallon.. though people WILL pay more easily... i love yuppies

7. sarahsboergoats

Jan 14, 2009
    Illinois
  8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

In most states you have to be a certified grade a dairy to sell milk and cheese. My friend Vicky is going through the process now, i cant believe all the requirements. Make sure you find out what the laws are because if you do something wrong its a $10,000 fine (at least in washington)
    beth

9. sarahsboergoats

Jan 14, 2009
    Illinois
    So do you do a herdshare type of thing? Because the cow dairy farmers around me have to do herdshares. So is it the same with goats?

10. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We don't do herdshares, only because some of our customers aren't always regular. You can do herdshares if you want, but herdshares are a way of getting around the laws because technically the customer who gets the milk can get it legally from you because the customer 'owns' a part of the goat and you are the one taking care of it.

Another thing we do, we have customers buy the same jars that we use, then when they come to get milk we just switch jars. :)