I'm just strarting out and need alot of help!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Luke, May 10, 2010.

1. Luke

Luke New Member

May 10, 2010
    Well, I'm new to raising goats and have TONS of questions for you guys! First off, can you make money raising goats? If so, what kind of markets are there for them? What is a good breed to start off with?

There will be more to come!

Thanks,
    Luke

:whatgoat:

2. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Welcome to TGS. You CAN make money with goats, BUT more often than not you loose money. As far as what breed do well, you will have to decide what you want to do. Are you raising for meat? milk? babies? products like soap?

3. comingsummers

comingsummers New Member

May 6, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    Well I guess I'll jump into this one as best I can. First, can you make money with goats? Well yes, but just because you can doesn't mean you will. There are three primary types of goat, dairy, meat, and hair. I believe all three types have followers on here and Im sure that some of them will chime in with their own thoughts. The markets available depend on the product you have. If you raise meat goats your primary markets will be the sale of meat and or animals for meat. If you are raising hair/wool breeds then you could sell raw, fresh off the animal hair, finished wool products or anything in between. You also could breed them and sell kids. If you raise dairy goats then you have an even wider range of possible choices. At the low end you could sell your excess raw milk as "pet food" and at the other end if the spectrum you could have a full blown grade A dairy. There are many options in between too and with the production of milk comes the production if kids so you will have income possibilities from that as well. I forgot to mention that with all types of goat you also have the options of just being a breeder and selling kids. If you do that you would probably want to show as well so that people would know they are getting good stock. So you can see there are lots of possibilities. I also feel like it's impossible to say what breed is best because it depends on what you plan to use the animals for. Good luck and welcome the TGS!

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Welcome to TGS ...happy you are here... :wave:

Yes... you can make money ...what is it you want to do with the goats...?
    Do you want to raise them for meat?
    For show?
    for milk?
    for pets?
    Do you want registered or not?
    Do you prefer larger breeds or smaller breeds?

There are so many different ways... to make money with them....some ways.. you will get more and other ways.. you won't get that much....

If you can break it down some ...it will help us to answer it ...in more detail... :wink: :hug:

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Welcome and glad you are here.

I have to agree that YES you can make money, BUT it will not happen or rarely does the first year or so because you have to get the animals, and all the feeders and so on, so normally the first few years you will loose it.

As for what kind of goat you are wanting to get into. Market goats were HUGE here fro years and they were out fastest growing project in 4H, but not any more. There were so many people raising goat for meat that they were loosing money because there were not that many people looking for goat meat.

Dairy, I can not even begin to go there as I have no idea.

Fiber goats, well I made (cleared), $2200.00, last year on my goats. Now I have been doing this a long time and it has taken time to build up my herd to have Champion goats and fiber.

6. Luke

Luke New Member

May 10, 2010
    I'm looking to do meat goats and sell the meat. Also, I have everything I need except for the goats. I see goats at are local cattle aution for $5-$25 a goat. Is this a good deal? What does an average goat sell for?

Thanks,
    Lule

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Auctions are a scary place to get animals ..you may be getting someone else s headache...try looking in the craigslist or finding a private breeder...that way ..your chances of getting possible diseases and problems...may be lessened..

It all depends ...with prices... $5 and $25 is cheap...but there may be a reason why they are that cheap...unless the are little young kids.....
    It depends on age of the goats to...adults can go for.... around $150 or so... DOn't know what they are going for in your area......some do go lower....or higher...just depends on the quality of the goat and the breeder.... check craiglist and see what they are asking in your area.... :wink: :greengrin:

8. Luke

Luke New Member

May 10, 2010
    Okay, I'll check. What is goat meat worth a pound?

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    $5 $25 is dirt cheap, I would think that there could be some underlying issue with them.
    I'd contact a commercial meat goat breeder and buy extras off them, looks for sound, well built, thick does that are good mothers and can raise 2-4 kids easily.

10. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Take advice from another newbie to goats. DON"T BUY FROM AN AUCTION!!! unless you have someone with you that knows goats inside and out and know what to look for. I just bought a goat from a respectable local sale and OMG I have nearly had a huge stress meltdown!
    I bought her Tuesday and check out one of the topics on her...
    viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14948

She MAY have the contageous disease 'CL' which is abscesses on the lymph nodes. The disease is ONLY contageous if the abscess bursts. But right now we're not sure if it is that or just something else. My husband has pretty much decided we'll do a wait and see on her and I'm praying it's not CL. But her BIGGEST issue right now is the fact her feet are horrible.
    Again, read my goat's story.

Do I regret buying her? NO. But I was not prepared for such problems like this. When I brought her home she looked fine. Unless you get in the pen and do a thorough inspection checking hooves, udders, rubbing your hands down every inch of their body, your really not going to be on the safe side. PLus they can say they've had their shots...how do you really know? Wormer? you can't trust what those people say. It's scary, especially since we have two WONDERFUL very healthy does already and they are pregnant and due in a month!

I recommend looking into your local craigslist. We just bought a buckling from a lady who advertises on there, and she has a beautiful herd. BTW, we are going with meat goats as well - Boer goats.
    Since we are breeding for meat and for our kids to hopefully show in 4H, we did NOT go with a registered buck. First, kids don't 'have't have registered stock usually there is a 'livestock' show for unregistered meat goats, and there is a 'breeding' show for registered stock.
    We feel, we want to make sure this will work for us before we sink the $$ into registered stock because you are going to spend a LOT of $$ for them.

I have contacted local breeders when looking for a buckling and was surprised so few register their stock. They have animals that are able to be registered but opt to not do it because they breed specifically for meat not for showing. And therefore the papers just aren't necessary. Some of them have sort of seperated into two herds. A herd for meat production and another part that they use to breed and sell the kids - not registered. There is a market for them I think even being new because lots of people are getting into raising goats, always looking for nice does to add to a herd, or a new buck, and there are always those kids who want to get into 4H....people searching for pets.
    You can sell a nice unregistered doe for $100+

Also, another thing to consider is, look for does who are already pregnant. That will get you a good start. Unfortunately I haven't had much luck finding any in our area. We are looking to get 2 more does and my husband would love for them to be pregnant.

So check Craigslist, for your area/surrounding towns as well, and you can google 'boer goat' and then add your state name in the search and see if there is a breeders list. That's how I found our girls! I live in KY and there is a Boer Breeders list. Our two does that we bought are so wonderful, we have had them almost 3 weeks and we are completely in love with them, and they are CRAZY about my kids.

Sorry to ramble on, it's just I know what it's like being new, and I've had so much wonderful help from this website, and from the 2 breeders we've dealt with.

Again, beware of the auctions for goats. I learned my lesson. Don't get in a big hurry either, take your time until you find what your looking for.

11. DPW

DPW New Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Crow, Oregon.
    There are a few different breeds of meat goats. We raise Boer and Boer cross so that's what I am familiar with.
    If you are raising strictly for meat and not show goats or exceptional breeding stock you can probably purchase a decent buck to use as your herd sire for around $300.00. Does anywhere from $75.00-$150.00. Depends on the market in your area. There are always exceptions to the rule but generally you get what you pay for.
    Don't be in a hurry. Before buying learn as much as you can about conformation of meat goats and selecting good stock. Learn about what it takes to care for goats. Veterinary services are not cheap.
    Taking your time, educating yourself, and spending as much as you can afford will pay off big time in the long run. We are on our third year of raising meat goats and will readily admit our business would be further along if we had followed that advice ourselves.
    Now for a warning about raising goats. It's addicting.

12. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    you can sell: milk, cheese, butter, yogurt, meat, kids, wool (is it actually called wool or is there another name for it? not sure). you could train goats. you could train the kids you raise and sell them. **training goats to pack and pull is much easier than house training dogs if you ask me...** you could track down really nice bucklings of good lines and be a breeder. there is lots you could do. what breed you get will depend on what is in your area, what you want them for, etc. if you want lots of milk i suggest alpine. if you want highbutterfat content i hear nigerian dwarfs have a 6.1% butterfat content (the highest i heard of). if you are into meat then you would want boer or kiko probably. if you want wool, an angora.