I'm losing my Hopey

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Lawanda, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    She is my goat that had her babies premature about three weeks ago. And the one who recently got stuck under the feeding trough.

She has been doing fine, as far as I could tell.

Today when I went to feed her, she was the first to the food, and was being her normal nosey sweet self. I had no idea of her being so bad shape by tonight.

She is diplaying the same symptoms that my other goat, Lydia, who died of Tetanus, did.

she is twitching somewhat. Stiff mostly. And her head just keeps going to a straight back and like she is looking up position.

I am so sad.

I was getting ready to bring home my little Nigerian from Honey Hollow, but I am now second guessing whether I should bring any more goats to my farm.

Do you think there is something I am doing?

How would I go about gettin her blood to send to test? And where could I send it?

I want to know what is wrong with her, even if she does die. She is still alive right now. We covered her up, and have been taking turns petting her. We gave her penicillin and some mineral oil and some egg in a syringe.

So how do I get her blood out, and where can I send it?

And do you think I should just not buy any more goats? My other 4 seem fine... right now....

I am definitely getting them a tetanus booster tomorrow.

2. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    It is like she is crying. She has tears too.

:tears:

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Could be polio, give her b-complex. Do you have any?

4. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
  5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Find out if it has 100mg/ml of thiamine or 12.5 mg/ml of thiamine.

Give the Pen g at 1cc per 10lbs twice a day.

You should also get some tetanus antitoxin to have on hand in the future. It's really hard to know what it is without being able to see the goat, but tetanus is also a possibility, has she ever been vaccinated?

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Oh no...I'm so sorry!

As Ashley said, get the b comp into her.....a very high dose too so unless you have a 10 or 12 ml syringe you'll need to stick her at least 4 times using a 3 ml. The Pen G will help just in case it is listeria.

TSC has the tetanus anti toxin, be good to have it on hand.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I will pray for her.... :hug: :pray:

8. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I would add penicillin OR oxytet also as Listeriosis and polio symptoms look the same.

9. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    We gave her penicillin. I have given her two syringes of vita b. I looked up the symptoms, and it could be polio or listeria, I guess. She is still alive, but just barely. she has all the symptoms listed for polio.

I am still vaxing my other goats tomorrow for tetanus, is there a vax for polio and is it catching? Will my other goats get it?

They all seem fine, but so did she this morning.

Is there somehing I am doing to cause this? My goats get more hay than grain. I read sometimes too much grains can be a cause...

According to her previous owner, she (and my other goat that died with these same symptoms) got all their shots for Tetanus.

My poor daughter, she is so tore up. Well so am I. I feel so bad.

10. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Polio in goats is a B-1 deficiency and is not contagious. No VAX for it unfortunately. She needs high doses of B-1 every 6 hours. Its best in both meds are injected as the stuff degrades so much in the stomach that its almost useless for either Polio or Listeriosis.

11. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Paralysis of the face or jaw is a usual sign of tetanus, hence the common name of lock jaw.

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    2 syringes? Was that a total of 6cc? If it is B Complex with 12.5mg thiamine, you will need to get at minimum 12 cc into her every 6 hours...the same with the pen.

Polio is not contagious, it happens and yes it is a very guilty feeling when you wonder if it was something you did wrong, it's easy to say to not beat yourself up, much harder to follow. :hug:

TSC does carry the CD/T vaccine...it is for Entero and Tetanus....if this is what you will be using and you are not sure if your goats were vaccinated, you'll need to give 2cc and follow up in 3 weeks with another 2cc

I am praying for you and Hope. :hug:

13. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

You need to take her temperature. If its below 102.5 then its polio. If she has a fever its Listeria and it requires a totally different medicine.

Im so sorry about her. :( Shes a beautiful girl.

14. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Lawanda -- NO! Hope has got to get better -- we've just had way too many losses lately here on TGS. I personally would treat aggressively. In my opinion, in a situation like this, I"d treat with antibiotics and Vit B. I had a buck completely recover from polio --- I'll say a prayer for your girl.....

15. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    Well

She is still alive. She is totally paralyzed still.. drooling...still crying :( Her eyes have that wide open look. She is still twitching/convulsing. She never had no fever. Still does not.

Her head is layed clear back on her back with her nose in the air. Her body is stiff.

I have given her all the vitamin b I have. I will give her the rest of my penicillin in a bit, if she is still alive.

I am going to go to TSC and get more of both tomorrow.

Will it hurt to give all the goats the shots of B vitamin tomorrow???

And should I just periodically give it to them all? Does it keep? Should I keep it on hand?

16. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Sorry, I have no advice to give on this subject. But I'm so sorry you're going through this, I will be praying for you and Hope. :hug:

17. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I'm so sorry Lawanda :hug: One of my does had Polio last week. I caught her just at the beginning stages of it. She improved within 3 hours of giving her the Vit B. She didn't have a fever either, her temp was 102.9. I really hope she improves :hug:

18. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

Lowanda - you can draw blood from her jugular. I would highly recommend doing this, but a necropsy would be much better. Best to keep the new goat at bay until you have the results on what caused/is causing this. If she survives then take blood as soon as possible for answers. Here's a link on drawing blood:
    http://goatconnection.com/articles/publ ... _151.shtml
    Make sure you have an acceptable vile handy with preservatives in it for the blood. You can get one from your vet just ask for a red-top blood tube.

If both goats who have gotten sick had polio then you are likely deficient in B vitamins or cobalt (cobalt is needed to process B). The B shot is fantastic in an emergency, but for a long term management you can try brewer's yeast. Get the powder and ad one teaspoon to each goats grain everyday. It is high in thiamine, the deficiency that causes polio, and also has a trace amount of cobalt to help the goat properly process the vitamins.

Until you know for sure definitely vaccinate for tetanus. It's a good idea to do yearly (2 doses, 3 weeks apart).

Good luck and I am so sorry you have to go through this. :tears: It doesn't mean you have done anything wrong! There is no way you could have known what was in the soil or shelters (if, for example, they've contracted tetanus) or known they were this deficient in B vitamins (if that's the problem) without first encountering a situation that alerted you of the problem. :hug:

19. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I am so sorry you are having to deal with this. Make sure when you get the B bottle you get the Fortified as it contains more B-1. IF you can't find it and she can swallow just go to the human supplements section and get a bottle of B-1 pills. The Fortified B Complex is on the MUST have list of goat meds and will keep for a long while if kept out of direct sunlight ( dark location ). Also pick up some Vitiman E caps from the store 400 IU as this helps with muscle problems. 1 a day is all you need to give, poke it with the point of a sharp knife and squirt it in the mouth.

As to giving the B Complex to ALL the goats, I wouldn't unless there is a need for it, they do pee out the excess but its rough on the liver in HUGE un needed amounts.

IF this goat is not moving you need to exercise the legs or make her get up and move. Time is of the essence here. IF she doesn't move soon, she never will again. You can make a sling to support her weight or use a hay bale placed under her so she can stand up.

I second the blood draw for this. At least this way you will know what your dealing with should it ever happen again.

20. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    Hope died this morning. It was sometime after 5am. We went back down at 7 and she was gone. :tears:

I had melted some human vitamin b and gave her that, too. About four thingies full (and I think it said 30 cc) We worked with her trying to get her moving all night, but she was stiff and twitching from the moment I found her (about 8pm).

We gave the other goats all vita b. We went to tractor supply and got some as soon as they opened. I don't see where it says fortified anywhere, but it was the only vita b they had. We gave the big goats 10 cc, and the little goats 5 cc. I do not want them to die :( I had no clue that Hope needed the vita b, until I found her lying there moaning and twitching and her poor head laid clear back on her withers :(

We also gave them all a CD/T shot. We also bought some more pen. to have on hand.