I'm milking her out... is there anything else I can do?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Tyler, May 6, 2009.

1. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    I'm taking care of some friends goats which just kidded. One of the goats has a problem with it's kids nursing off one udder (The nannie is producing too much milk, so the kids are still getting enough milk from the one udder. It's just that the other udder isn't getting emptied.). I'm milking out that udder, but I was wondering if there was anything else I could do?

2. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Nope just keep em even and it should be good. :thumb:

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    You can teach one of them to nurse the side you are milking out....or you can continue to milk to keep her even. I have a nigi that delivered a single ad the fist few days were rough as she would just nurse one side, after I started to milk her to keep her een I would also strip the side the kid favored so that if she wanted more she would have to go to the other teat....worked great and my doe has a very nice and even udder.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    yes....... teach one kid ...to nurse from that side being ignored ....choose what kid you want to claim that teat........but make sure.... mom is comfortable and not bulging when you do .....she will not allow the kid to nurse.....................................when she is comfortable...put the chosen kid on her ...and make the kid suck from that side.....if the kid that you picked ....starts to suck from the wrong side ....remove the kid and put it on ....that ignored teat.....the kid will learn and claim that side..... both sides will then be claimed....... :wink: :greengrin:

5. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Ok. Thank you all! Looks like I have my work cut out for me :p

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Tyler....your very welcome.... :) ........sometimes it only takes showing the kid once... :wink: ..some longer.... but it will happen.....good luck... :wink: :greengrin:

keep us updated...

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the babies are young now but once they are strong enough and both want to eat a once they will nurse off bothsides at once.

But do keep her milked out some - leaving some so the kids are encouraged to nurse off it.

8. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    I was out in the pasture last night (wait... I'm out there every night... :p), and one of the little kids nursed off the big udder. It was kind of a shock to me, since I hadn't tried getting to nurse off that udder! So far it looks like I don't have as much work cut out for me as I originally thought :)

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :ROFL:

Oh that is wonderful news.. :leap: ....I told ya... they will get the hang of it ..and claim it......But it is sure a shock... :shocked: :cool: .....but a really good shock ...and a big relief isn't it........ :wink: :hug: Congrats :leap: :wahoo: :wahoo:

I am so happy for you..........momma goat and babies... :D